Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
Deepika26
Deepika26
India
Local time: 12:52
English to Hindi
+ ...
Do the test results appear immediately? Sep 27, 2017

Hi
I have just given the test. As they mentioned it would take 10 days to tell the results I guess I was so bad that they immediately showed 70.67% as result after test completion based on initial 4 phases. I don't know whether phase 5th have been checked or it will be checked or it's just that I didn't make it. Did it happen to any of you guys?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yep... Sep 27, 2017

Marc_is_already wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday I signed up for the Netflix Hermes test, however I did not receive the second text message with a link to the test.

I attempted to fill out a support form (https://mepsupport.wufoo.com/forms/mtut6wu19zd68p/), but this form does not accept my mobile phone number. It requests the last four digits, but it gives three input boxes (### ### ####). No matter what I enter - be it the entire number or the last four digits or the abbreviated lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody - it always gives an error message related to that part of the form.

I have also not found an alternative way of communicating with the support team.

Would anyone here know how to deal with this issue?

Neither have I... never received... e-mailed them, silence... I've given up...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty
Sfera - Deluxe contact Oct 7, 2017

lanahahn wrote:

I have been receiving E-mails from sferastudio since Hermes Test and today I've got E-mail about training at sferastudio.com. Has anyone ever received same E-mail? And if so, how to log on at sferastudio.com? Help me please!

I have received the same e-mail. Passed a test (very similar to the Netflix Hermes test, but easier) and now I am an active free-lancer waiting for my first job.
To log on in sferastudios.com and have access to the the test you need to click in "Join" (top of the home page, https://www.sferastudios.com/#join) and then click in Apply. Good luck!

PS: I had 87% on the Hermes Test, but in Brazilian Portuguese that was a "fail"

[Edited at 2017-10-07 03:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-10-07 03:08 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The bottom line Oct 10, 2017

I finally subscribed to Netflix. The conclusion in the first week is that they need good subtitling badly (pun intended). I'm tired of paid cable TV channels where 90% of the content is made up of re-runs, some channels mostly showing re-runs from other(s).

So far, from the movies my wife and I chose to watch, NONE had subtitles, the options available in Brazil being Portuguese and Spanish. Okay, we don't need them so much, I'm a translator, she's an ESL teacher.

Our 16
... See more
I finally subscribed to Netflix. The conclusion in the first week is that they need good subtitling badly (pun intended). I'm tired of paid cable TV channels where 90% of the content is made up of re-runs, some channels mostly showing re-runs from other(s).

So far, from the movies my wife and I chose to watch, NONE had subtitles, the options available in Brazil being Portuguese and Spanish. Okay, we don't need them so much, I'm a translator, she's an ESL teacher.

Our 16-yo daughter found her movies/series subtitled. However she said that translations were so bad, and so poorly timed, that her English - though she's still learning it - covers is better. She turned the subtitles OFF, as they actually impair her experience as a spectator.

Last year Brazil hosted both the Olympic Games and the FIFA World Cup. One major concern was the small percentage of our population who can speak/understand English. It's clearly a huge market, population over 200 million. People who can't enjoy movies in English without subs will give up after the free one-month Netflix trial period.

Bottom line is that Netflix should 'get their act subtitled' quickly. Testing bulbs at the store won't rid your place of the darkness.

Otherwise most TV watchers will switch to Kodi, and the movie/TV industry will gradually go down.
Collapse

Ana Paula Badaró
Ana Paula Badaró
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Didn't meet Netflix's threshold, but... Oct 11, 2017

So I took the infamous test a few months ago and scored ~85%, which isn't bad, but quite frankly I was shocked because I don't feel like it reflects my true capabilities. I have +5 years of subtitling experience and, I don't mean to brag, but I know my work is good - and definitely superior than what we see on Netflix here in Brazil.

Also, was that test really supposed to assess our English skills? Who on Earth uses those awfully obscure idiomatic expressions they asked us to trans
... See more
So I took the infamous test a few months ago and scored ~85%, which isn't bad, but quite frankly I was shocked because I don't feel like it reflects my true capabilities. I have +5 years of subtitling experience and, I don't mean to brag, but I know my work is good - and definitely superior than what we see on Netflix here in Brazil.

Also, was that test really supposed to assess our English skills? Who on Earth uses those awfully obscure idiomatic expressions they asked us to translate? I mentioned a couple of them to my American cousin and she just laughed, said she had no clue what they meant. I took the test without the aid of dictionaries, but in retrospect I see how that was a mistake. Oh well.

Still, I went ahead and sent my CV to a bunch of Netflix's preferred vendors last week. They're all asking for my Hermes # now, but I must confess I'm a little insecure about disclosing it. I think 85% is a solid score, but I'm afraid they won't give me a chance once they see I "didn't meet the threshold" for my language. Has anyone gone through a similar situation? What do you guys suggest I do?
Collapse

spyteraf
spyteraf
Poland
Foreign phone no Oct 11, 2017

Hi guys,

I just have one question: I've recently applied for the test but did not receive the 2nd text message. I'm just wondering if, on the final page where you have to type in your Hermes and Phone numbers, I typed the Phone # in the right format.

I'm from Poland and my country calling code is +48.

So, how should the number have been typed:

a) 0048xxxxxxxxx,
b) 48xxxxxxxxx,
or simply
c) xxxxxxxxx?

What were t
... See more
Hi guys,

I just have one question: I've recently applied for the test but did not receive the 2nd text message. I'm just wondering if, on the final page where you have to type in your Hermes and Phone numbers, I typed the Phone # in the right format.

I'm from Poland and my country calling code is +48.

a) 0048xxxxxxxxx,
b) 48xxxxxxxxx,
or simply
c) xxxxxxxxx?

What were the formats in other countries?

Thanks in advance,
Simon
Collapse

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 09:22
Estonian to English
+ ...
dont worry Oct 13, 2017

Don't worry too much about the Hermes score.
First, despite what all the blogs were writing after the test was launched - the aim of Hermes was not to find thousands of translators for direct translations with Netflix. The aim was to get an idea about how many professional translators work for Netflix through vendors because while there are 10-15 chief companies providing translations, many were using the same translators who just worked for several companies. It's also a tradition that bi
... See more
First, despite what all the blogs were writing after the test was launched - the aim of Hermes was not to find thousands of translators for direct translations with Netflix. The aim was to get an idea about how many professional translators work for Netflix through vendors because while there are 10-15 chief companies providing translations, many were using the same translators who just worked for several companies. It's also a tradition that big companies would not use their own translators but subcontract from smaller companies, watering down the price and creating a labyrinth of a small number of translators doing all the work through various companies for varied rates.
So the aim of Hermes was to assign a number to all professional translators and see how many there actually are. Therefore everyone working for Netlix should be forced by vendors to do the Hermes test and get the number - or they should not get work.

Secondly, the Hermes test showed that people trying out for fun and first-time subtitlers scored higher than professionals in many languages. The conclusion was that the test and the scoring system were a bit faulty, not that all the professionals were bad and new people would do a better job. That was one of the reasons why everything was put on hold with Hermes and why basically nobody has been directly hired this far.

So the Hermes scores right now are not so much about the percentage and the threshold. In subtitling meeting the very tight deadline is 90% and translation quality 10% of the work. New people can get hired but of course if there's an oversupply for a language and deadlines have been met, higher scorers have an advantage.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Gravity is free, while outsouring is not Oct 13, 2017

jbjb wrote:

First, despite what all the blogs were writing after the test was launched - the aim of Hermes was not to find thousands of translators for direct translations with Netflix. The aim was to get an idea about how many professional translators work for Netflix through vendors because while there are 10-15 chief companies providing translations, many were using the same translators who just worked for several companies. It's also a tradition that big companies would not use their own translators but subcontract from smaller companies, watering down the price and creating a labyrinth of a small number of translators doing all the work through various companies for varied rates.
So the aim of Hermes was to assign a number to all professional translators and see how many there actually are. Therefore everyone working for Netlix should be forced by vendors to do the Hermes test and get the number - or they should not get work.

Nobody should be "worried" about their Hermes score.

Netflix is the one who has undeniably been having trouble with its subtitling quality, and this may be an obstacle to meeting their business goals in several countries.

On the other side, there is a difference among three identifiable subtitling translator groups:
a) subtitlers who are skilled and experienced in doing it;
b) professional translators who have taken courses in subtitling, but still have limited experience; and
c) drop-ins willing to dip their toes in subtitling, perhaps finding a new source of income.

jbjb wrote:
Secondly, the Hermes test showed that people trying out for fun and first-time subtitlers scored higher than professionals in many languages. The conclusion was that the test and the scoring system were a bit faulty, not that all the professionals were bad and new people would do a better job. That was one of the reasons why everything was put on hold with Hermes and why basically nobody has been directly hired this far.

If Hermes was intended to be Netflix's one-and-only source of subtitling services, it makes sense. Netflix could then focus on its core business - media distribution and selling subscriptions. In this setup, 'Hermes' could be an independent company, a subsidiary of Netflix, or a department thereof, it keeps making sense.

Of course, Netflix would want to check Hermes' standards. If they read the social media ever since, the testing method obviously failed.

This reminded me of an entrance exam in a university, which I incidentally witnessed. Several professors assembled the 10 questions. The professor in charge of that subject took the exam himself, and shot it through the grading team. He said it was "just one of the exams", to check how long it would take to get one test graded. Making a long story short, that primus inter pares professor got a 7.0 grade from the team under him!

So Hermes' test failed. Okay, they should be developing some other method, taking great care to ensure its effectiveness, as 'good' subtitlers who failed may be reluctant to invest more time and effort in taking such a test again.

Considering the option of Hermes building a large upside-down tree of outsourcing vendors, this would tend to be self-defeating. Every vendor in the way needs to make some profit, and if there are more than two outsourcers (Hermes being the first) between Netflix and the translator, either the total cost for Netflix will not be affordable, or the translators accepting the resulting meagre fees - after each outsourcer in the chain has had its profit - will mostly comprise "desperate for a gig" amateurs (which could, in a twisted manner, validate the first test).

bkenyeres
bkenyeres
Hungary
Local time: 08:22
English to Hungarian
Phone number Oct 13, 2017

a) 0048xxxxxxxxx,
b) 48xxxxxxxxx,
or simply
c) xxxxxxxxx?

What were the formats in other countries?

I chose version a) but the same here: I haven't received the text with the link yet.

Ana Paula Badaró
Ana Paula Badaró
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good to know Oct 13, 2017

Thanks, jbjb! I'll give them my Hermes # and hope for the best. A lot of them have their own tests and quizzes, too, so I hope those count for something.

@spyteraf and @bkenyeres: I went with option B, "country code + phone number", and received the link after a few hours. I know a lot of people never receive it though, and Netflix isn't really doing anything to help. Shame.

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:22
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Some insight and some answers. It's a mixed bag. Oct 17, 2017

https://slator.com/demand-drivers/netflix-now-has-nearly-20-localization-vendors-as-global-subscriber-growth-booms/

Eleonora Maldina
Eleonora Maldina
Canada
Local time: 03:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Received follow-up email by Netflix Nov 1, 2017

Hi all,

I took the test at the end of May - early June and passed the multiple choice portion. I didn't know about the subtitle translation part, as I never heard back from them.

Now I just received an email from Netflix localization manager telling me that based on my test score I "may be eligible to partner with one of our Localization vendors, TVT, for additional vetting for subtitle origination and QC work on Netflix Originals content. A representative from TVT wil
... See more
Hi all,

I took the test at the end of May - early June and passed the multiple choice portion. I didn't know about the subtitle translation part, as I never heard back from them.

Now I just received an email from Netflix localization manager telling me that based on my test score I "may be eligible to partner with one of our Localization vendors, TVT, for additional vetting for subtitle origination and QC work on Netflix Originals content. A representative from TVT will be in touch with you in the coming weeks to provide you with more information."

Then they go on by explaining how I would be an independent contractor and that Netflix would not be my employer.

At this point I'm trying to understand the logic behind this. I'm sure third-party vendors already have plenty of freelance translators, QCers, etc., so why would Netflix go through all the trouble of administering this test just to find more contractors for these vendors?
Are they so confident that this test would provide them with the "best" translators out there?

I'd be curious to know:
- if others have received a similar email
- what you think of all this (the lack of transparency on Netflix's side is bothering me quite a bit)
-what you think about TVT, and whether those who work for them were told to take the test (again, I'm trying to make sense of this convoluted and counter-intuitive process)

Thanks!
Collapse

Sofia_gr
Sofia_gr
Greece
Local time: 09:22
English to Greek
Received follow-up email by Netflix too Nov 1, 2017

Hi all,

On May I took the Hermes test, English>>Greek and successfully passed the multiple choice part.

Yesterday I received the follow-up email:
"Thank you for your participation in the Hermes test. Based on your test score, you may be eligible to partner with one of our Localization vendors, TVT, for additional vetting for subtitle origination and QC work on Netflix Originals content. A representative from TVT will be in touch with you in the coming weeks to pro
... See more
Hi all,

On May I took the Hermes test, English>>Greek and successfully passed the multiple choice part.

Yesterday I received the follow-up email:
"Thank you for your participation in the Hermes test. Based on your test score, you may be eligible to partner with one of our Localization vendors, TVT, for additional vetting for subtitle origination and QC work on Netflix Originals content. A representative from TVT will be in touch with you in the coming weeks to provide you with more information."

I am curious about this company too, I guess I'll just wait and see!

Thanks!

[Edited at 2017-11-01 09:53 GMT]
Collapse

Ambra Cascio
Ambra Cascio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Subtitling companies aking for Hermes # Nov 8, 2017

Hi everybody,

I've taken the Hermes translation test some months ago and, unfortunately, I didn't pass (my score is 77%), even if I'm a professional subtitler and audiovisual translator and I've been working with several companies providing translations for... yes, for Netflix. The result of the test was so disappointing!
Now I have one concern: all the subtitling companies I've been working with until now are starting to ask me my Hermes number and it's very awkward. I've al
... See more
Hi everybody,

I've taken the Hermes translation test some months ago and, unfortunately, I didn't pass (my score is 77%), even if I'm a professional subtitler and audiovisual translator and I've been working with several companies providing translations for... yes, for Netflix. The result of the test was so disappointing!
Now I have one concern: all the subtitling companies I've been working with until now are starting to ask me my Hermes number and it's very awkward. I've already explained to some of them my situation and asked if I may continue working for them even with my low score, and I'm waiting for an answer. I've tried to take the test again, also with another email and telephone number, but nothing - I've never received the second SMS and the Hermes support don't answer.
I'm worried I won't be able to work with my clients anymore because of this.

Is there anyone in my same situation? Are you concerned? What do you think about it?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »