Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 09:49
Estonian to English
+ ...
takes time Jul 4, 2017

https://jobs.netflix.com/jobs/864861

As you can see, Netflix is currently looking for a person who will start to develop the framework for the "direct to translator" systems.
Someone who will start building the operation and think about how to handle the workflow.
Probably takes 1-2 years for the service to start functioning normally.

Alan Faizov
Alan Faizov
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:49
English to Russian
Disappointing Jul 5, 2017

jbjb wrote:

https://jobs.netflix.com/jobs/864861

As you can see, Netflix is currently looking for a person who will start to develop the framework for the "direct to translator" systems.
Someone who will start building the operation and think about how to handle the workflow.
Probably takes 1-2 years for the service to start functioning normally.

Wow, didn't expect that. That was very disappointing to see.
So basically we shouldn't expect this job to be available anytime soon? If that's true then Netflix has made a really reckless decision when they announced that Hermes platform. I mean, how such a great company couldn't foresee the difficulties of implementing it. I don't think that I understand anything of what's going on now.
I really want the job though.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Estonian to English
+ ...
responsibilities Jul 6, 2017

Looking at the responsibilities of the manager who hasn't been found yet
- building Netflix’s in-house translation sourcing program
- build an entity that works directly with translators
- Build a scalable framework in which to provide service and support to our independent translators.
- Design trainings and documentation to onboard independent translator workforce
- define thresholds for excellence for independent contributors

it doesn't look li
... See more
Looking at the responsibilities of the manager who hasn't been found yet
- building Netflix’s in-house translation sourcing program
- build an entity that works directly with translators
- Build a scalable framework in which to provide service and support to our independent translators.
- Design trainings and documentation to onboard independent translator workforce
- define thresholds for excellence for independent contributors

it doesn't look like much has been done yet with Hermes.
As we know from previous comments, Hermes was designed to assign a number to each translator and its purpose was to get an idea about existing translators who work for vendors (subtitling companies). To know if different vendors are actually working with different people or is it the same translators working for many companies, so that shifting the workload between vendors does not actually mean you get a bigger capacity.

What Netflix probably didn't expect was that the blog entry about launching Hermes was picked up by hundreds or thousands of international news sites and blogs who generated it into an event in the style of "Want to translate for Netflix? Now you can."
As you could see with the assessment, they were clearly not ready for thousands of people to take the test. They did not have people to do the assessing, nor did they have functioning support for Hermes.
I am sure that Netflix will manage to get the operation to work but yeah, it will more likely take a long time. 2017 seems unlikely, more like 2018-2019.

[Edited at 2017-07-06 04:38 GMT]
Collapse

Luiz Melo
Luiz Melo
Brazil
Do the test again. Jul 12, 2017

Is possible to do the test again if you didn't get the 80%? I really want to!

Luiz Melo
Luiz Melo
Brazil
Can be with the same H-number? Jul 12, 2017

MatteoMolinari wrote:

Cem_Kent wrote:

Hi guys,
I did the English-German test 2 weeks ago. As my browser couldn't play the videos in part 3 I got 0 points in that part and thus, failed. I then sent an e-mail to them, asking if I could re-do part 3. Still no answer. After having read the comments here I tried to register / apply again, logged in with my H-number, but still, on the page I see my result.
Does anyone know what I can do now? I sent them 2-3 mails and no answer yet. What happens if I register with another e-mail address? Can I start the whole progress from 0 and do the test again (with a new H-number)?
Thanks!

Hi, you just need to subscribe again with a new phone number, you can use the same mail.

Best regards
Matteo

joy hahn
joy hahn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:49
English to Korean
+ ...
Question Jul 12, 2017

I have been receiving E-mails from sferastudio since Hermes Test and today I've got E-mail about training at sferastudio.com. Has anyone ever received same E-mail? And if so, how to log on at sferastudio.com? Help me please!

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Estonian to English
+ ...
sfera Jul 12, 2017

Sfera was recently bought by Deluxe, making it one of the largest subtitling companies of the world (probably TOP 2 with SDI), although the translator pools of Sfera and Deluxe have not been merged yet.
Sferastudio is their online translation platform that Netflix used (or maybe still uses) for their own translators. Sfera is also one of the vendors translating for Netflix.
Whoever contacted you - either Sfera directly or not - will surely provide you with access details, either for
... See more
Sfera was recently bought by Deluxe, making it one of the largest subtitling companies of the world (probably TOP 2 with SDI), although the translator pools of Sfera and Deluxe have not been merged yet.
Sferastudio is their online translation platform that Netflix used (or maybe still uses) for their own translators. Sfera is also one of the vendors translating for Netflix.
Whoever contacted you - either Sfera directly or not - will surely provide you with access details, either for testing or work.
Collapse

MarkDragan
MarkDragan
Russian Federation
Has anyone received any job from Hermes by now? Jul 13, 2017

I passed the test like 2 months ago and I still have not received any e-mails from Hermes. I translated from English into Russian and passed with a score of 86%.
Did any of you receive any job? If yes, then how did they contact you and what software do you use to make subs? Just wondering.

Gabzuela
Gabzuela
Italy
Local time: 08:49
English to Italian
+ ...
HERMES TEST... a bit of a nightmare Jul 20, 2017

Hi everybody! I've just registered, I am a rookie here:-) and would like to share my experience with you.

I took the Hermes test back in March, and right at the end of it was a message saying that all the results would be available in our homepage within 10 business days. Since a month had gone by already and I had got no news whatsoever, I wrote again and they sent me what appeared to be a standard message, listing all the sort of technical instruction and tips to carry out the t
... See more
Hi everybody! I've just registered, I am a rookie here:-) and would like to share my experience with you.

I took the Hermes test back in March, and right at the end of it was a message saying that all the results would be available in our homepage within 10 business days. Since a month had gone by already and I had got no news whatsoever, I wrote again and they sent me what appeared to be a standard message, listing all the sort of technical instruction and tips to carry out the test with Flash Player, Chrome browser. etc.

The thing is THAT I HAD ALREADY DONE the test! My system worked just fine, didn’t have any problem with the text messages and I started and finished without a bother. Then I wrote again and asked why I could not access my homepage and they got back to me in May apologising for their being short- sighted and added that the applicants were still waiting because the high volume of people taking the test had had them rethink how they could get the information in a timely manner. The guy who wrote to me also concluded by saying that all the scores should be visible to those who had completed the test as soon as possible.

Well, I have been waiting since, replying to the tickets I kept originating myself every time I contact them, as per their instructions, all with the same lame, standard responses. They even say that if neither one of the suggestions answer your question, you should reply to the ticket and the Hermes Support team will advise, which is not what happens. Done that as well, to no avail.

I am running out of patience and I am wondering if I will get my results at all.

Have some of you gone through the same? Please advise
Thank you very much
Collapse

alip76
alip76
Romania
Romanian
+ ...
Netflix Jul 25, 2017

Hello everybody,

I don't know if anyone else checked Netflix Partner Center. What they are saying in their FAQ is at least disappointing.

https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005104767-Will-this-person-work-directly-for-Netflix-as-a-Netflix-employee-

So w
... See more
Hello everybody,

I don't know if anyone else checked Netflix Partner Center. What they are saying in their FAQ is at least disappointing.

https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005104767-Will-this-person-work-directly-for-Netflix-as-a-Netflix-employee-

So why the fuss? Just to work at the rates the vendors already give you, so forget about the 8 dollars Netflix offers? Not to mention that the 8 dollar rate is not only for the translator, it will be split between all the people involved. So how much would the translator get?

Has anybody started working with them?

Thank you!
Collapse

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 04:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Here are some tips Aug 9, 2017

I just did the Hermes test and would like to share some tips.

Use the latest Firefox or Opera browser with the latest Flash Player version (it should still work fine if your versions are a little bit outdated, though). Some people on this thread reported problems with Chrome. Firefox worked fine for me. Use the privacy mode.

Open dictionaries in a separate browser window before starting the test. For English, I recommend
... See more
I just did the Hermes test and would like to share some tips.

Use the latest Firefox or Opera browser with the latest Flash Player version (it should still work fine if your versions are a little bit outdated, though). Some people on this thread reported problems with Chrome. Firefox worked fine for me. Use the privacy mode.

Open dictionaries in a separate browser window before starting the test. For English, I recommend www.thefreedictionary.com, www.wordreference.com and www.linguee.com. The first one is the best for idiomatic expressions (tests 1 and 2), and the last two are perfect for searching suitable words for translations in your target language.

The first two tests are multiple choice and mostly ask about the meaning or translation of very obscure idiomatic expressions. Trust me, I have been speaking English fluently since childhood, I have grade A score on the Cambridge CPE test (upper C2 level in English) and still I didn't know many of the expressions listed. Regardless, by looking them up on the above dictionaries, the tests became quite easy.

The third test gives you short 10-second clips with audio and ask you the meaning of what they are saying. Pretty straightforward and not hard if you have good listening skills in English.

The fourth test also gives you short clips, but this time with a single subtitle event, and it asks you to pinpoint wrong with them, choosing from many options (timing is off, there's a typo, punctuation error, and several more). There's also the possibility that the subtitle is completely correct, and there's an option for this. The problem I had with this test is that a particular subtitle had no less than 3 distinct errors with it, so I didn't know which answer to mark! I'll report it to them.

Lastly, it will give you two different 2-3 minute clips to subtitle, with the English lines already displayed, so you only need to translate each line. The problems with these are that the "available time" (that is, character-per-second count) is often not enough, no matter how much you try to simplify your text to fit it. I left several lines a few milliseconds over the threshold because it was frankly impossible to make them any shorter. Unless your language happens to be especially succint, be prepared for this. I also left a few lines with more than 42 characters (1-3 more) because again, there was simply no feasible way to shorten them without omitting important words (which I believe would be a worse decision to make). I hope they don't knock too many points off because of such small deviations from the limits.

I scored 95% on tests 1-4 overall. This result is given to you after ALL the tests are done. I'm now awaiting the correction of the subtitling test.

I hope this helps.

[Edited at 2017-08-09 01:59 GMT]
Collapse

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Estonian to English
+ ...
another tip Aug 9, 2017

You should be very careful with 42 characters and the reading speed. It's a big no-no in subtitling to igonore those things because they often lead to automatic rejection by the client. As anyone who has translated subtitles before can tell you - it is almost always to fit into those guidelines, at least 99.9% of the time.

Anyway, the test still exists online but as I have heard, Netflix is considering ways to redo the mechanics because for almost all languages it was the same probl
... See more
You should be very careful with 42 characters and the reading speed. It's a big no-no in subtitling to igonore those things because they often lead to automatic rejection by the client. As anyone who has translated subtitles before can tell you - it is almost always to fit into those guidelines, at least 99.9% of the time.

Anyway, the test still exists online but as I have heard, Netflix is considering ways to redo the mechanics because for almost all languages it was the same problem - professionals subtitlers who actually work in the field scored low but people who know nothing about subtitling but tried it out for fun scored high. So apparently Netflix decided the problem is in the test.

As I have posted before, they were looking for a manager to handle Hermes and will probably work out a way to hire translators directly in 2018 or 2019.
As for the rate - yes, if it says USD 8 per minute for your language, it is for translation + proofreading + technical delivery.
So in the least, the rate will be divided between two people. And if the delivery side cannot be made fully automatic and needs human intervention, another USD 1-2 per minute will be knocked off the rate for that and then the rest will be divided between translating and proofreading.
Collapse

Nuno Oliveira
Nuno Oliveira  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
Guidelines are to be followed always Aug 10, 2017

Yeah, as jbjb mentioned guidelines are paramount when subtitling for a client. Even more so if you are working on a Netflix project as they are really strict about following their guidelines. If you ignore them your work will most likely be rejected. You really do have to be able to simplify your translation to conform to their 42 character limit.

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 04:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I wish it were that simple Aug 10, 2017

Nuno Oliveira wrote:

Yeah, as jbjb mentioned guidelines are paramount when subtitling for a client. Even more so if you are working on a Netflix project as they are really strict about following their guidelines. If you ignore them your work will most likely be rejected. You really do have to be able to simplify your translation to conform to their 42 character limit.

Short of using internet-style abbreviations (thx, plz etc.) or omitting words to make the phrase entirely ungrammatical (both options being abhorrent), there was no apparent way to simplify some of them. Not in the 1 minute I had left to think about it by the time I finished all lines, at least! There weren't even shorter synonyms I could use. I can only hope that they ignore the deviations (since they deviate 5% from the norm at most) because they are not actual work, hire me anyway and tell me never to do that in the actual subtitles and/or instruct me on what to do in these cases. But that would be expecting too much benevolence :/

Thanks for telling me about this, guys.

Uyen Vu
Uyen Vu
Vietnam
Local time: 14:49
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Had to leave during the test Aug 16, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am also a Hermes Netflix test taker. My question is that what if I have to leave while taking the test due to urgent situations? Am I able to continue the test or I have to take the test again and is it possible to do so?

Can anyone provide me any information about this matter?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »