Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27]
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
joy hahn
joy hahn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:22
English to Korean
+ ...
Mar 2, 2018

[Edited at 2018-03-02 03:29 GMT]

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 23:22
English
This explains a lot of bad subtitles! Mar 7, 2018

I don't translate, but my Spanish is decent. I use subtitles as an aid when the accents are unfamiliar. And the quality of the subtitling is erratic.

Binge-watching Spanish films and TV series on Netflix is odd at times. A set of twins (gemelos) mysteriously appears in "Velvet" subtitles with no context that supports them. Should have been "cufflinks". Someone dropped the "no" out of a phrase in another drama which affected the plot for those people who didn't catch the Span
... See more
I don't translate, but my Spanish is decent. I use subtitles as an aid when the accents are unfamiliar. And the quality of the subtitling is erratic.

Binge-watching Spanish films and TV series on Netflix is odd at times. A set of twins (gemelos) mysteriously appears in "Velvet" subtitles with no context that supports them. Should have been "cufflinks". Someone dropped the "no" out of a phrase in another drama which affected the plot for those people who didn't catch the Spanish correctly.

I wonder how screwed up the K-dramas are.

Netflix should not try to go from Korean to Basque in one step ... paying for a really good transcript and translation into English and from there into the target language would improve their quality a lot, and make it easier to find the translators they need.
Collapse

Nicole König
Julie Barber

Marga Dorao
Marga Dorao  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Mar 13, 2018

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure I have the time or energy for reading the whole thread so I'll just take your word for it. Moving on!

Catherine Howard wrote:

Marga Dorao wrote:

Sooo, I finally took the test and I got the results the second I submitted the last exercise. How can this be? One would think somebody would even bother to read what you've wrote (especially in the two last tests) before "grading" it, right? I am annoyed, to be honest.

Marga, if you read through this discussion thread, you'll see that this issue was talked about a *lot*. I know, it's a long, but you'll learn an incredible amount not only about Netflix and this particular test, but about how the translation "industry" ends up screwing everything up. This particular fiasco is not unique to translation.

In a word, don't sit by your phone waiting for that flood of subtitling projects you might have dreamed of. This thread largely reveals why. I cant in good conscience say "Hope you enjoy it", but perhaps I can cough out a "Hope your eyes get opened by it".

OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:22
German to French
+ ...
Bye Mar 20, 2018

Hermes test is closed now. Netflix isn't looking for new subtitlers anymore.
Well, at least we will have far less people saying "I am a translator, I want to be a subtitler" because some idiot journalist wrote "If you like movies, you can get paid for subtitling."

Duygu Mengioğlu
Collin Koortzen
Tanami
Andrei Neagu
Konstantin Er

CHAITALI MAZUMDAR
CHAITALI MAZUMDAR
India
Local time: 10:52
English to Bengali
+ ...
Hermes TEST is closed for now. Mar 23, 2018

The Netflix/ Hermes Test has been closed now.

Even I had taken the test sometime in 2016 for Hindi language. I also wanted to take the test in Bengali language but surprisingly they don't have the language in their list, though Netflix has quite some Bengali movies in the Movie list.

Magdalena Adamus wrote:

I'm genuinely surprised that no one have started this topic yet.
I was wondering who of you took the test and, more importantly, who already got their results? In my case 10 days have not passed yet, but from what I know from other people, this is definitely going to be longer. I really blame all the news portals, that started shouting 'Netflix is going to pay USERS for translation and they'll give you bazzillion of dollars for a minute!', which encourage thousands of people with no experience to take the test (and therefore swamp revisers with tones of additional work).
Anyway, I'm not entirely happy about how my test went, especially because I got the notorious American football video, which was way out of my specialty scope and the vocabulary was awful. Also italicizing function was not working nor in my case nor in anybody's else, so I'm silently hoping that they will notice that and not take that into account when evaluating.
What is also bothering me is that I took the test even before my clients started contacting me about it, so I registered as individual translator (with hope of being able to work with Netflix directly). Now I'm not able to add my clients anywhere and I'm afraid that with this huge load of tests, Netflix is going to prioritize assessing their vendors' candidates first.

Jana Ballette
Jana Ballette  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
QC test Jul 13, 2018

Hi Alejandra, I'm going to take the same test as you, and I have a little doubt. Do you remember if the platform shows the shot changes? For example with some lines in the waveform...

Thank you!

Alejandra Garcia Romero wrote:

I was contacted in October by TVT and I did the QC Backlot test during the Christmas holidays. The test is a bit more difficult as you have to translate and check every single subtitle frame by frame and categorize the errors found according to Netflix's timing specifications. Initially, the time given to submit the test was 48 hours, but they have expanded it to one week.

During the test, you have a 7-minute video with two clips, one from Orange is the New Black and another from House of Cards. House of Cards is mostly about timing, characters per line and text style (italiziced words, etc.) and Orange is the New Black is mostly about shot changes.

I have not received any feedback yet, so I cannot give more information. However, if any of you is going to take it, I would strongly recommend to focus on shot changes as some of the subtitles are very tricky.

Wiebke Myohl
Wiebke Myohl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why Netflix Shut Down Its Translation Portal Hermes Nov 6, 2018

When I read that the Hermes portal is no longer in use I remembered this thread. Maybe the article below is of interest to some who took the Hermes test.

Best,
Wiebke

https://slator.com/demand-drivers/why-netflix-shut-down-its-translation-portal-hermes/

Kitty_2019
Kitty_2019
Poland
Hermes translations Mar 27, 2019

Hello everyone. Does anyone here has account at Hermes and works in translations for Netflix?

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Info about the "Hermes" test for Netflix. Sep 10, 2020

Hi,

Can someone give me some pieces of information about the test?

I received a link from an outsourcer
and I would like it if somebody can give me some general info about the test and are there tricky parts and so forth.
Any information is more than welcome, and many thanks in advance for your time.

Sanjin

n.b. I know I should have read the whole topic but, there are 27 pages, and I am in a bit of a rush -:)

[Edited
... See more
Hi,

Can someone give me some pieces of information about the test?

I received a link from an outsourcer
and I would like it if somebody can give me some general info about the test and are there tricky parts and so forth.
Any information is more than welcome, and many thanks in advance for your time.

Sanjin

n.b. I know I should have read the whole topic but, there are 27 pages, and I am in a bit of a rush -:)

[Edited at 2020-09-10 19:41 GMT]
Collapse

Andrei Neagu
Andrei Neagu
Romania
Local time: 07:22
English to Romanian
+ ...
QC test Apr 27, 2021

Ha-haa! I took that test like 5 years ago.
Taking into account that I was at the beginning of my "online" career, after 13 years of professional subtitling, the test did seem difficult, but actually was quite simple. The Hermes test was more difficult.
But there are many other ways to get into working for Netflix, Amazon and the others.

Valeria Moreno

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Other ways Apr 27, 2021

Andrei Neagu wrote:

But there are many other ways to get into working for Netflix, Amazon and the others.

Could you share those "other ways"? I remember the Hermes test as well. Not difficult, but notation was atrocious. There were newbies accepted without doing the subtitling part while experimented translators failed.

Valeria Moreno

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
. Apr 28, 2021

There are several laboratories that work with Netflix and Amazon.

Ileana Pallero
Ileana Pallero  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it still working? Dec 2, 2021

Do you know if Hermes (Netflix) is still on?

I took the test some years ago, I wanted to see my Hermes# but I couldn't find it.
Thank you

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »