Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
Olívia Pithan Burzlaff
Olívia Pithan Burzlaff
Brazil
Local time: 02:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
my two cents on the subject Apr 26, 2017

Hermes results - Apparently, since the results are coming out automatically, the percentage with which we were graded reflects only the first four multiple choice quizzes. The 5th test will probably be graded only for those who passed this first stage and we will be provided with a classification afterwards. -- That's just what I can infer with the information we have. Up until now the whole process lacks transparency and probably a lot will happen until those results have any influence on the a... See more
Hermes results - Apparently, since the results are coming out automatically, the percentage with which we were graded reflects only the first four multiple choice quizzes. The 5th test will probably be graded only for those who passed this first stage and we will be provided with a classification afterwards. -- That's just what I can infer with the information we have. Up until now the whole process lacks transparency and probably a lot will happen until those results have any influence on the assignments we receive.

Whether working for Netflix is worthwhile or not - There are many vendors and outsourcers who offer different rates for translators, proofreaders and QCers, and a few assignments are handled directly by Netflix. My experience over the years has shown me that the translator rates can range from outrageous to fairly reasonable. ($1/min - $5/min)
Collapse

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
Local time: 06:01
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Is Netflix kidding? Apr 26, 2017

Vadim Ivankov wrote:

Inspired by behisresponse, I have just carried out my own experiment. You will 'enjoy' this short story!!!

I registered in the Hermes system. Then, I completed only 4 first phases. The last 2 subtitling phases I DID NOT complete (on purpose) - I left all subtitling fields empty and just pushed 'Submit'. So, I immediately received my score.......... 85.33%. I passed the test. Oops. Hey Netflix, there's something wrong and sinful here.

I just can't express how wrong and outragueos that is. This was supposed to be a subtitling test not a "choose the right answer" test. This is so disappointing

Álex Fernández
Álex Fernández
Spain
English to Spanish
I didn't pass either Apr 26, 2017

Maria Mari Ros wrote:

I took the last two parts yesterday night. I got no message from them, but, since I was following this thread, I just checked it. I didn't pass, but, to my surprise, my score was a 92%.

I'm feeling like this process is somehow being a big scam.

Well, that's a shame. I was mad for not passing with an 83,33 %. I imagine that the required threshold for English - Spanish must be really high.

Zsuzsanna Miklosi
Zsuzsanna Miklosi  Identity Verified
Hungary
Hungarian to French
+ ...
translation tasks clearly not evaluated! Apr 26, 2017

Magdalena Bardalinska wrote:

Vadim Ivankov wrote:

Inspired by behisresponse, I have just carried out my own experiment. You will 'enjoy' this short story!!!

I registered in the Hermes system. Then, I completed only 4 first phases. The last 2 subtitling phases I DID NOT complete (on purpose) - I left all subtitling fields empty and just pushed 'Submit'. So, I immediately received my score.......... 85.33%. I passed the test. Oops. Hey Netflix, there's something wrong and sinful here.

I just can't express how wrong and outragueos that is. This was supposed to be a subtitling test not a "choose the right answer" test. This is so disappointing

I just did the same as Vadim for French and although I submited empty subtitles for the last 2 phases, I got 86.6% immediately after submiting. Clearly, the whole thing has become a joke, I believe we should make a big scandal about this, this is merely a language proficiency test with in some cases very similar answers (in Hungarian for example) and is extremely disrespectful to professional subtitlers working in the industry for years who had to take the test in a rush 3 weeks ago (the first deadline was only a weekend for it if you remember).

Any ideas on how we should proceed so that these things should be known in wider circles?

[Edited at 2017-04-26 08:14 GMT]

Alessandra Gramignano
Alessandra Gramignano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Something is wrong Apr 26, 2017

Hi! I got an 85,33% for Italian language (did not pass) and frankly I was a bit disappointed, since I mainly work as a subtitler and have worked a lot for Netflix through agencies. I am learning now that something isn't right with the results and it is clear that they evaluated only the first 4 phases. They should have told us before! Plus, a lot of us had some trouble with phase 4, where I have lost a lot of time for some streaming issues (Netflix Support has never got back to me about it).
... See more
Hi! I got an 85,33% for Italian language (did not pass) and frankly I was a bit disappointed, since I mainly work as a subtitler and have worked a lot for Netflix through agencies. I am learning now that something isn't right with the results and it is clear that they evaluated only the first 4 phases. They should have told us before! Plus, a lot of us had some trouble with phase 4, where I have lost a lot of time for some streaming issues (Netflix Support has never got back to me about it).
We could write to their Support offices again and ask for an explanation, especially the ones who left empty the last two parts and got an high score. What do you think?

[Modificato alle 2017-04-26 14:40 GMT]
Collapse

Andrejs Gorbunovs
Andrejs Gorbunovs  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:01
Member (2013)
English to Latvian
+ ...
2-stage evaluation Apr 26, 2017

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has passed the first test phase.

I think that there is no reason to worry about the fact that the test is enough to pass.

In my opinion, Netflix uses the test as a filter to avoid evaluating subtitling tasks of every applicant.
Thus, I think that the subtitling part will be evaluated only for those who passed the test, which makes sense from the point of view of Netflix and common sense.

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
The faulty system Apr 26, 2017

Andrejs Gorbunovs wrote:

I think that there is no reason to worry about the fact that the test is enough to pass.

In my opinion, Netflix uses the test as a filter to avoid evaluating subtitling tasks of every applicant.
Thus, I think that the subtitling part will be evaluated only for those who passed the test, which makes sense from the point of view of Netflix and common sense.

I agree with you that the system they introduced is reasonable - I would do the same thing if I was in their shoes. But I have a problem with the moment when they implemented it, because now it seems that they did that only now, when they realized that the media frenzy got them millions of applicants. Translators should have been made aware of that before they took the test - "hey we will have two parts, and majority of you will be failed basing only on multiple choice questions. We will do the subtitling test AFTER THAT." It's all about transparency and treating people with respect.

Zsuzsanna Miklosi
Hungary
Hungarian to French
+ ...
escalate to vendors? Apr 26, 2017

Quistis25 wrote:

Hi! I got an 85,33% for Italian language (did not pass) and frankly I was a bit disappointed, since I mainly work as a subtitler and have worked a lot for Netflix through agencies. I am learning now that something isn't right with te results and it is clear that they evaluated only the first 4 phases. They should have told us before! Plus, a lot of us had some trouble with phase 4, where I have lost a lot of time for some streaming issues (Netflix Support has never got back to me about it).
We could write to their Support offices again and ask for an explanation, especially the ones who left empty the last two parts and got an high score. What do you think?

The Support offices could be a good idea, but I think those of us working already on Netflix projects should somehow tell the agencies about this too, as I only took the test because they made it compulsory. This test is really not assessing any subtitling skill whatsoever.

Looks like Netflix got overwhelmed by all the answers they got and simply decided to cut the most relevant part of the test.

Andrejs Gorbunovs
Andrejs Gorbunovs  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2013)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I completely agree Apr 26, 2017

Magdalena Bardalinska wrote:
It's all about transparency and treating people with respect.

You are completely right here, but we can't do anything about it, and I don't think that it was intentional.

I think that they are the first major company to go to translators/subtitlers directly instead of going to the agencies, so of course there are some issues, but I think that they have set a good precedent for other large organizations/companies that require large amounts of translation work.

Alessandra Gramignano
Alessandra Gramignano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Apr 26, 2017

Zsuzsanna Miklosi wrote:

Quistis25 wrote:

Hi! I got an 85,33% for Italian language (did not pass) and frankly I was a bit disappointed, since I mainly work as a subtitler and have worked a lot for Netflix through agencies. I am learning now that something isn't right with te results and it is clear that they evaluated only the first 4 phases. They should have told us before! Plus, a lot of us had some trouble with phase 4, where I have lost a lot of time for some streaming issues (Netflix Support has never got back to me about it).

The Support offices could be a good idea, but I think those of us working already on Netflix projects should somehow tell the agencies about this too, as I only took the test because they made it compulsory. This test is really not assessing any subtitling skill whatsoever.

Looks like Netflix got overwhelmed by all the answers they got and simply decided to cut the most relevant part of the test.

I agree, they got confused and get rid of the hard part to evaluate (and most relevant to the job).
I took the test as an individual, as none of the agencies that I work for made it compulsory (except for one which had me on thier database, but I have never worked for), but still, I would have preferred more transparency.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I don't know Apr 26, 2017

Andrejs Gorbunovs wrote:

Well, the info is clear enough. "We will contact you when we have available work" and "You have met our threshold".
It's a shame, because I know of people who simply bombed the subtitling part (not on purpose), but passed anyway.
Out of curiosity, I found one such person's amateur subtitles and they were of a very substandard quality.
Now, imagine you have to proofread that person's subtitles they have done for Netflix...

Sara Baroni
Sara Baroni  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Did not pass Apr 26, 2017

Hi guys, I got a 73.33% in Italian and did not pass but as the below says, it's a bit weird.

Quistis25 wrote:

I'm a professional translator ans subtitler, and I can fully accept if I do something wrong, but those initial multiple choice quizzes were weird. They could have just broken the test in two and then, if you passed those, move onto the subtitling. I am confident my subtitles were very good, so I am disappointed. Especially if this is not being graded by a human.

Live and learn.

Sara

Zsuzsanna Miklosi
Hungary
Hungarian to French
+ ...
weird questions in the language test? Apr 26, 2017

Sara Baroni wrote:

I'm a professional translator ans subtitler, and I can fully accept if I do something wrong, but those initial multiple choice quizzes were weird.

They were pretty weird in Hungarian and French too, several answers seemed to be good a lot of times. Did anyone experience the same in other languages too?

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Polish test Apr 26, 2017

Zsuzsanna Miklosi wrote:

Sara Baroni wrote:

I'm a professional translator ans subtitler, and I can fully accept if I do something wrong, but those initial multiple choice quizzes were weird.

They were pretty weird in Hungarian and French too, several answers seemed to be good a lot of times. Did anyone experience the same in other languages too?

I can confirm that some Polish questions were also weird. Not to mention that in part 4 one of my questions was bugged and had two mistakes.

[Edited at 2017-04-26 10:34 GMT]

Yonatan Nachman
Yonatan Nachman
Israel
English to Hebrew
Just passed the hebrew Hermes test Apr 26, 2017

Hi everyone, just god the test result. I made 82%, passed.
Can anyone link me to some more details out of "You have met our threshold for your language" & "We will contact you when we have available work"?

How much do they supposed to pay? and how will they contact me? via cellphone?
& When exactly? I mean, how much time will it take.
Is there anyone here that can answer me that from his experiance?

Thanks,

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »