Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
S.J
S.J  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
Via e-mail May 13, 2017

Yellow Panda wrote:

sjaatoul wrote:

"Congratulations on passing the Hermes test. You will receive a form email response within the coming weeks with an update as to possible next steps".

I don't know if this is true or not, but that's what I have received recently from Netflix after many messages with one of the responsibles in the Localization department of Netflix.

Did you contact them via email?

Yes

Gabriella Giordano
Gabriella Giordano  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
English to Italian
+ ...
"The subtitling tests have to be manually scored". May 15, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

"The subtitling tests have to be manually scored"

It doesn't work like this. Right after I clicked on "Submit" after the second subtitling test I got my score. Who on earth corrected my subtitles in 0,00 seconds? It must be automated but I cannot imagine how.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I meant they HAVE to be, no innuendo that they actually ARE May 15, 2017

Gabriella Giordano wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

"The subtitling tests have to be manually scored"

It doesn't work like this. Right after I clicked on "Submit" after the second subtitling test I got my score. Who on earth corrected my subtitles in 0,00 seconds? It must be automated but I cannot imagine how.

From all the posts I've read here, the process seems to have been turned into a randomization festival.

Applicants admittedly devoid of any experience, knowledge, and/or interest in subtitling are celebrating their pass. Seasoned subtitling pros have failed. The cutting point oscillates among different language pairs without any pinpoint-able reason. Test scoring times span from a split second to several weeks.

Bottom line is that I haven't read - at least here or on Facebook - about any actual job assignment resulting directly from this test.

Multiple-choice answers obviously take a snap to score. Actual subtitling assessment based strictly on adherence to "rules" - in spite of some colleagues obstreperously advocating for it - shouldn't hold water for too long. While most rules definitely make sense, what really counts - IMHO - is the spectator experience.

So while some have passed, others have failed, and apparently several are still awaiting their verdict, nothing beyond this 'contest' has taken place yet.

SammyV
SammyV
Netherlands
Can you take the test again? May 15, 2017

Hi guys!

quick question how many times are you allowed to take the test?
do they verify who you are?

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
Email response May 16, 2017

sjaatoul wrote:

Yellow Panda wrote:

sjaatoul wrote:

"Congratulations on passing the Hermes test. You will receive a form email response within the coming weeks with an update as to possible next steps".

I don't know if this is true or not, but that's what I have received recently from Netflix after many messages with one of the responsibles in the Localization department of Netflix.

Did you contact them via email?

Yes

I sent them an email too and got this:

"Hi

Thank you for your email. You will be contacted when work is available. "

Let's hope we get some assignments in the coming weeks

annaruby
annaruby
Japan
anyone done test in Japanese? May 16, 2017

Hey! I just did my Japanese Hermes test last night and i got 87.33%. if anyone taken Japanese test, it would be really appreciated if you could share your% and pass/fail...
I took my time and didn't get to finish the last phase of the test..left 2 of them blank... how badly would this affect on my result?
Thank you,

annaruby
annaruby
Japan
hey May 16, 2017

SammyV wrote:

Hi guys!

quick question how many times are you allowed to take the test?
do they verify who you are?

i googled searched and they are not letting people retake the test.
if you have another mobile number to use, you can register again with the same email address.

jakewatts
jakewatts
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
Japanese May 16, 2017

annaruby wrote:

Hey! I just did my Japanese Hermes test last night and i got 87.33%. if anyone taken Japanese test, it would be really appreciated if you could share your% and pass/fail...
I took my time and didn't get to finish the last phase of the test..left 2 of them blank... how badly would this affect on my result?
Thank you,

Hi, Anna. I took the test 4 days ago and met the threshold with the score of 86.67%. Seeing as the payrate for Japanese is extremely high compared to other languages, I'm assuming they don't have many Japanese translators at the moment. So my guess is that they probably have set the boundary for Japanese relatively lower than other languages (e.g. 70-75%).

Please quote me if you have any further questions. I hope we both start getting a lot of work to do soon.

tintin76
tintin76
English to Chinese
Most expensive language May 16, 2017

jakewatts wrote:

annaruby wrote:

Thank you,

Hi, Anna. I took the test 4 days ago and met the threshold with the score of 86.67%. Seeing as the payrate for Japanese is extremely high compared to other languages, I'm assuming they don't have many Japanese translators at the moment. So my guess is that they probably have set the boundary for Japanese relatively lower than other languages (e.g. 70-75%).

Please quote me if you have any further questions. I hope we both start getting a lot of work to do soon.

Yup, EN - JP is almost three times of EN - CN...will it be too late to learn Japanese now? LOL

https://npv.netflix.com/_assets/GLOBALNPVRateCard2016.pdf

efsdfsdcs
efsdfsdcs
Israel
Local time: 09:35
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Anyone got a translation job recently? May 19, 2017

I took the test about a week ago, i passed and was wondering how long does it take to get jobs.

Rex-Act
Rex-Act
Portugal
Is it worth it? May 20, 2017

tintin76 wrote:

Yup, EN - JP is almost three times of EN - CN...will it be too late to learn Japanese now? LOL

https://npv.netflix.com/_assets/GLOBALNPVRateCard2016.pdf

Does anyone know how do these rates factor into an independent/freelance translator's Timed Text work? Do they only get paid a small portion of either language pair indicated in the table?

rhoogland
rhoogland
Belgium
rules first May 21, 2017

In order to do such test, the rules should be clear. Hence my questions:
1: Is the time of translation taken into account in the result, or is it just a question of staying within the time limit?
2: Where can I find information on the rules on line breaks, max number of lines/words etc?
3: Should I translate English slang into equivalent Dutch slang with the same emotional impact, or rather into a more moderate descriptive translation. What is demanded?
4: Is there a poss
... See more
1: Is the time of translation taken into account in the result, or is it just a question of staying within the time limit?
2: Where can I find information on the rules on line breaks, max number of lines/words etc?
3: Should I translate English slang into equivalent Dutch slang with the same emotional impact, or rather into a more moderate descriptive translation. What is demanded?
4: Is there a possibility to prepare on technical content in advance? (I am not an expert in medicine, physics or sports and it is impossible to know the professional terminology of all disciplines in the world)

Thanks a lot.
Collapse

Henriette Saffron (X)
Henriette Saffron (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:35
English to Danish
+ ...
The Rules are in the Guidelines May 21, 2017

rhoogland wrote:

You would have to ask Netflix.

You find the tutorials by following the link on the Hermes platform.

The answer is in the guidelines.

4: Is there a possibility to prepare on technical content in advance? (I am not an expert in medicine, physics or sports and it is impossible to know the professional terminology of all disciplines in the world)

There is adequate time to do research while translating.

Galina Vesnina
Galina Vesnina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Section 5 will be reviewed May 22, 2017

I was checking my score even after I already got it (86%, a pass for Russian).

Today they updated the info:

>If you are an applicant who has applied for individual consideration we thank you for taking the Hermes subtitling test. You have met our threshold for your language! These thresholds are based on the first four multiple choice sections. The thresholds we set account for the top performers within a given language and are based on an overall percentile for each la
... See more
I was checking my score even after I already got it (86%, a pass for Russian).

Today they updated the info:

>If you are an applicant who has applied for individual consideration we thank you for taking the Hermes subtitling test. You have met our threshold for your language! These thresholds are based on the first four multiple choice sections. The thresholds we set account for the top performers within a given language and are based on an overall percentile for each language. We will be looking at section five to further filter the best applicants in the future. We will contact you when we have available work in your language. Please save your Hermes # for identification in the future.

It seems that the section 5 will be reviewed, after all.
Collapse

Victor Cadenas
Victor Cadenas
Local time: 04:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confirmation May 22, 2017

Eulinne wrote:

We will be looking at section five to further filter the best applicants in the future.

Can confirm. At last, some sort of update.

[Edited at 2017-05-22 18:49 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »