Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
thedogisbrow (X)
thedogisbrow (X)
United States
Score result analysis May 1, 2017

Hi all,

I took the test for fun as a translation newbie (failed Italian with 78.67%). It was fun to do and that was it for me. However, I found it very interesting to read about other people's scores. One user previously mentioned how scores always seem to end in .33 or .67. Then other people started posting results with different decimal numbers. In addition, there is uncertainty about what exactly were the scored parts (apparently parts 5 and 6 were not). Being an engineer I HAD t
... See more
Hi all,

I took the test for fun as a translation newbie (failed Italian with 78.67%). It was fun to do and that was it for me. However, I found it very interesting to read about other people's scores. One user previously mentioned how scores always seem to end in .33 or .67. Then other people started posting results with different decimal numbers. In addition, there is uncertainty about what exactly were the scored parts (apparently parts 5 and 6 were not). Being an engineer I HAD to dig in further.

My main question was: how many questions were actually scored, and how did people receive scores with such weird decimal digits? So I assumed the number of scored questions was anywhere between 20 and 50 and calculated the percentage score for a variety of number of questions answered correctly (assuming 1 point for a correct answer, 0 points for a wrong answer).

The results are really interesting! For example, the score that I received (78.67%) is mathematically impossible to achieve under those assumptions. So that means my scored was either a weighted average (different parts have different weights), or there is partial credit (2 good answer, 1 OK answer, 0 no answer), or who knows what.

In case you are curious to see your score you can see a screenshot of the table I made.

Bye!
Collapse

Joanna Spychala
Joanna Spychala
Poland
Local time: 06:16
English to Polish
+ ...
Phase 2 May 1, 2017

InBloom wrote:

Hi Joanna,

So you translated the idioms with their corresponding idioms in your language for the phase 2? Or did you select the translation that fits better for the phrase but that's not actually the specular translation of that idiom in the corresponding idiom of your mother tongue?

[Edited at 2017-05-01 13:19 GMT]

In phase 2, I would always choose what I believed was the best way to translate the English phrase. Frequently, it was an idiom. I remember a question with "there's more than one way to skin a cat": four answers where Polish idioms (including some non-existing/inverted ones), one was a non-idiomatic descriptive translation, and I was choosing between this one and one idiom (in fact, none of the answers was how I would actually translate that...).

Victor Cadenas
Victor Cadenas
Local time: 02:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wait a second... May 1, 2017

Maria Mari Ros wrote:

Yes, I failed (EN-SP) with 92%, which is quite weird.

Spanish from Spain or Spanish from Latin America?

Seems like a VERY high number to me for a fail. Maybe there are other factors besides just an average?

I would LOVE some actual stats.

Joanna Spychala
Joanna Spychala
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Another explanation May 2, 2017

thedogisbrown wrote:

For example, the score that I received (78.67%) is mathematically impossible to achieve under those assumptions. So that means my scored was either a weighted average (different parts have different weights), or there is partial credit (2 good answer, 1 OK answer, 0 no answer), or who knows what.

It's possible they did what EPSO does at the stage of computer-based tests: they excluded questions that included errors and re-calculated the score.

Let me give an example: there are 10 questions, you answer 8 of them correctly - you would expect to get 80%. However, one of the questions is excluded due to an error. This means that you get 88,89% or 77,78% (depending on which questions you answered wrong).

I don't know whether Hermes cares so much about the potential errors in their questions, though. Plus, if they used such approach, I would assume they would exclude those questions from the database as soon as the errors are identified (so results with .67% should not be obtained by the participants who had their score displayed immediately upon the completion of the test - and that's simply not the case).

lypham22
lypham22
Singapore
English to Vietnamese
English to Vietnamese May 2, 2017

Just finish the test yesterday and got 82% for English - Vietnamese and it's a pass. I'm quite surprised that they have published the results right away. Some answers to me quite confusing because it has the same meaning and I don't know what to choose. Just try my luck on this thing.

Anyone knows after we pass then what will happen?

Garry Arbatov
Garry Arbatov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
my two cents May 3, 2017

When I completed the test I got my results in 16 days, and my score (an equal number) was just displayed on the dashboard without the drop-down info box. Later, however, I noticed that my score was decreased a bit and the drop-down box appeared with explanation. My score is still passing, and it's with fraction .33 now.

[Редактировалось 2017-05-03 12:44 GMT]

Micssy
Micssy
Italy
Italian threshold May 3, 2017

bellaria wrote:

ChachiArcola wrote:

I scored 81,33% and failed. So, the Italian threshold must be somewhere between my score and yours.

87,33% and failed, so the Italian threshold must be 88%.

I scored 88% and passed, so I guess 88% really is the threshold for Italian language.

Micssy
Micssy
Italy
Evaluation May 3, 2017

Maria Mari Ros wrote:

Actually, anyone can retake the test just by starting again the registration process and using a different cell number.

I did so myself just to check what was happening with the scores. I completed the first four sections not paying too much attention. Then I completed the last two sections.

I got immediately my results. I mean immediately, just after clicking submit. I got a 81,33%, by the way. I wasn't planning to pass (I swear I am no longer interested on working with Netflix), so everything was okay (I even got a higher score than I expected). After seeing that I hadn't pass with my previous score, a 92%, it all became an absurd.

As someone said, it has been Netflix who has failed. There's no human review at all. It's like any other test (Sfera and so on), but they just let you keep on completing sections, no matter the results on the previous ones. I am wondering how many minutes of video they got translated for free.

Honestly, I don't think Netflix needs to plan such a big scam in order to have some videos translated (God knows how) for free. It is perfectly understandable that they want you to translate both videos b e f o r e evaluating your results in the previous sections: getting to each successful candidate to ask them to take another test would be pure hell. I guess they will evaluate the actual translation section in a second phase, in order to match you with the contents which better fit your skills (or don't hire you at all if you left it blank).

As for retaking the test, they have your full name in their archive so I'm not sure that starting again the registration process really works.

VALENTINA BONOMI
VALENTINA BONOMI
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TEST RESULTS May 3, 2017

Hi,
the results are not sent by email. You must check them in your hermes account (log in, go to dashboard, and there the score, percentage, is displayed).

As for the test, there were some mistakes I pointed out after completing the test, but I didn't get any reply.
For instance, there was a multiple choice question (about idioms) and the answer I wanted to choose because it was the corresponding idiom in Italian contained a word with a typo.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Doubts May 4, 2017

I seriously doubt that passing the test is now a guarantee of any job in the future. In recent years I passed tests for three companies that are also Netflix vendors and I was rarely approached with new projects.
That's why, I don't consider it as a breakthrough in my professional life. More like an additional item to include in my CV.

[Edited at 2017-05-04 17:16 GMT]

Otávio Cayres
Otávio Cayres
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oh well... May 5, 2017

Failed the PT-BR test with a score of 87,33%.

Victor Cadenas
Victor Cadenas
Local time: 02:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wishful thinking May 5, 2017

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

That's why, I don't consider it as a breakthrough in my professional life. More like an additional item to include in my CV.

I have been thinking on these terms lately. If anything, it might be somewhat useful/cool to say "Hey, did you hear about that high-profile test that Netflix did back then? Yeah, I passed that...
*gets sunglasses on*
Oh, of course you can hire me, these are my rates..."

They always say "dream big", don't they? At the very least, boasting this kind of thing with the right people might lead to some work down the line.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
OK May 6, 2017

OK, not revealing much of an e-mail exchange I had with a Netflix employee, I can say that my assumptions were quite right.

Netflix wants to recommend some of those who passed the test to their vendors (ergo: forget high rates) and, in some cases (probably rare ones) may consider direct collaboration.

Seems like much ado about nothing

[Edited at 2017-05-06 00:20 GMT]

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:16
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Tracking who is working on what tasks May 6, 2017

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

OK, not revealing much of an e-mail exchange I had with a Netflix employee, I can say that my assumptions were quite right.

Netflix wants to recommend some of those who passed the test to their vendors (ergo: forget high rates) and, in some cases (probably rare ones) may consider direct collaboration.

Seems like much ado about nothing

[Edited at 2017-05-06 00:20 GMT]

I expected this to be the case. I did not bother to apply independently for this reason. If they invested in this system it's to serve some function for their business, not for ours. After all, it's not their job to find us clients.
IMHO, the purpose of this is to track who is working on what tasks by means of the H number and also to have a common minimum standard regarding the level of the people working on these tasks. Depending on the tasks involved, a higher level of proficiency is required. I assume tracking might be the main aspect, because from their end it is very difficult to track freelancers working through vendors.
Best of luck to all.

[Editat la 2017-05-06 07:13 GMT]

Cemo
Cemo
Türkiye
Hello from Turkey :) May 6, 2017

Hello everybody.
I took English-Turkish test and passed with 88.67. I'm surprised with some professional translators' score since I'm just a regular guy who has nothing to do with translation, I'm a geologist by the way. I just enjoy watching movies and shows with English subtitles, and wanted to try my English level and maybe earn some easy money hehe I love Netflix Original Series. I hope I get the job of translating Stra
... See more
Hello everybody.
I took English-Turkish test and passed with 88.67. I'm surprised with some professional translators' score since I'm just a regular guy who has nothing to do with translation, I'm a geologist by the way. I just enjoy watching movies and shows with English subtitles, and wanted to try my English level and maybe earn some easy money hehe I love Netflix Original Series. I hope I get the job of translating Stranger Things
Anyway I salute Turkish translators who took the test and hope to hear from you with your scores, don't be shy
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »