Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Netflix needs an English writer too Apr 23, 2017

Magdalena Bardalinska wrote:

This e-mail was posted on one of Facebook groups for translators and, if it's true, it could mean that we will receive our results soon:

Hi all, thank you for your patience regarding the visibility into your test results. We previously messaged that your results would be in your homepage within 10 bushiness days, this unfortunately was short sited and hasn't happened for the majority of our applicants. The high volume of applicants has had us rethink how we get this information to all applicants in a timely manner and all scores should be visible to those who have completed the test by the end of next week.

Thank you for your patience and we are looking forward to all of our applicants receiving their scores.

Wow, big multinational Netflix can't even get a simple expression (short sighted) right. Meh, I wouldn't bother to tell them. They can hire a proper writer.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Page 9 of comments Apr 23, 2017

About Netflix's Hermes test, I learned about it on my Twitter feed weeks ago, and I intended to take it until I started reading the comments here.

Such a public test of translation (open to anyone who registers and logs in) is, by definition, an unpaid test. To me, as a translator, taking such a test would only make sense if a) I have some experience subtitling and b) I have a gap between projects to spend time in an unpaid test.

Such a test is like the age-old dance ca
... See more
About Netflix's Hermes test, I learned about it on my Twitter feed weeks ago, and I intended to take it until I started reading the comments here.

Such a public test of translation (open to anyone who registers and logs in) is, by definition, an unpaid test. To me, as a translator, taking such a test would only make sense if a) I have some experience subtitling and b) I have a gap between projects to spend time in an unpaid test.

Such a test is like the age-old dance card (at least in America): just because you had 10 or 15 dance partners jotted down on your card didn't mean you went home with one of them. It's just a dance, folks!

Fortunately for me, I became busy with work from three wonderful clients, one of whom paid me in advance via PayPal and covered the entire fee.

Big smile here.

Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Bingo! Apr 23, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I have been translating video for subtitling, and doing the entire subtitling job since 2004. I mean professionally, not as a fansubber. Furthermore, I have been translating video for dubbing since 1987.

Hence the time spent taking this test was a justifiable marketing investment for me.

Tens (or maybe hundreds) of thousands of people saw it, and thought, "Hey, I speak two languages, I love watching movies, this could be profitable fun!". So they took the test, free and harmless.

Now Netflix/Hermes are left with the mission to sift through this crowd, and find the people they need to achieve their goal. Maybe in some language pairs they'll find only amateurs. As the learning organization they have been showing they are, maybe they'll set up their own training programs in subtitling for these languages.

Now, for them, it's like watching a marching ants parade, checking which ones carry the "best" (under any reasonable criteria) leaves, and luring them to their ant hill. Fortunately, thanks to the way the test was devised, computers alone might undertake a good deal of the task.

(Not sure whether this post will remain here. An earlier post of mine on this thread was hidden by a Proz moderator without any explanation whatsoever, beyond another post by someone else having been rated and hidden under Rule #1. No chance to edit, amend, anything. Just squelched. I'll never know what the reason was, if it was personal or otherwise, whether it was some bias/grudge against the other poster or me, or otherwise. No lesson learned from it.)

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:48
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Bingo 2! Apr 23, 2017

I haven't taken the test... doesn't interest me. Subtitling is not very profitable because it's a slow process. Yes, rewarding, but I need to hit my financial targets every month. It's a job. Such intense competition will have just one effect: it will drive the rates down. Just wait and see...

Sara Baroni
Sara Baroni  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Replying to IZA Apr 24, 2017

I posted a comment here a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I received a private message from Iza, a Spanish translator who also did the test. Unfortunately she is not registered on proz so I am unable to reply to her directly! Iza, if you're reading this, contact me again with your contact details. In any case no, I haven't had my test results yet, but I guess from one of the previous posts we might know within a week or so... good luck!

Tomakris
Tomakris
Ukraine
Local time: 04:48
Turkish to Ukrainian
+ ...
I'm experiencing technical trouble with phase 4 of the test. Apr 24, 2017

Andreea Vertes wrote:

I also had 2 clips in phase 5, but I think that this might be a bug. In the instructions, the last phase is described as "a translation sample" and, furthermore, "This test should take approximately 90 minutes", which would simply be impossible with 2 clips - 40 min each.

Again, I think this is a bug; I sent a report to Support, but got no answer. My only problem is that I fear this might influence the test results.

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

kiara kiaora wrote:
Has anyone had this kind of problem with their test? Any suggestions? Should I create a second profile and restart? I am not too kin on retaking the first 3 stages and I am not sure I should try test 5 and start the timer on that one too without having solved stage 4 first.

I actually had a number of issues throughout the test, but somehow managed to work around them :/
I started the test on one of my notebooks and had to switch to another computer because the images in test 4 would not show. Unfortunately, I was not able to find out why. I checked that it met all the requirements before starting, so that could not be it. Indeed, the time will continue to run, so you can only close the test to stop it. When you restart the test, the timer will resume, so this was a concern. By the time I noticed this, I had already wasted some 5 minutes just trying to figure out what to do. Fortunately, when I resumed the test on my desktop it worked fine and the images displayed.

Unfortunately, I think it's not possible to skip one section, you have to take them in order for some reason. As per their description, phase 5 contains 2 clips (you have 40 minutes for each, which is more than sufficient). Because of the environment used, the two clips are two separate links. FYI, I also had some weird errors in the subtitling sections in the last phase, but I just ignored them :/

There is no actual way to see your answers after you submit them, which is unfortunate and might cause endless disputes. By the time I get the results I will not even remember I took the test, let along whatever answers I gave...

[Editat la 2017-04-20 14:57 GMT]

Although my system meets all the requirements, the videos in phase 4 do not run. How did you eventually solve problem? I've contacted the support team, but no answer do far.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 03:48
English to Polish
+ ...
Not much of an info... but still Apr 25, 2017

Dear User,

If you are an applicant who has applied for individual consideration we thank you for taking the Hermes subtitling test. You have met our threshold for your language! We will contact you when we have available work in your language. Please save your Hermes # for identification in the future.

Ümit Şen (X)
Ümit Şen (X)
Netherlands
English to Turkish
+ ...
Results Apr 25, 2017

I got the same message after a month. "You have met the threshold for your language!" and it says my score it available for me to see it but I can't see it anywhere on my dashboard. Does anybody see their results in numbers or percentage?

[Edited at 2017-04-25 16:25 GMT]

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Passed! Apr 25, 2017

It appears that they're publishing first result now! I just got mine - it's a pass ladies and gens!

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Question Apr 25, 2017

It appears that they're publishing first result now! I just got mine - it's a pass ladies and gens!

Did you get the same info as I did? Namely, "you have met the threshold..." blah, blah, blah? Or was there anything more? The thing that worries me though, is that the work will be far from regular. Say, one translation in a month. Or that they will opt for those who took the test with one of their vendors...

Anyway, congratulations!

[Edited at 2017-04-25 17:27 GMT]

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Positive Apr 25, 2017

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Did you get the same info as I did? Namely, "you have met the threshold..." blah, blah, blah?

Yes. I cannot find any details about score.

Katarzyna Kapusta
Katarzyna Kapusta
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Didn't pass... Apr 25, 2017

Congrats everyone who passed! I actually got my result and it was 84% but it came along with this note:
At this time, your score did not reach the required threshold for your language.

I'm quite new to translation though so I hope they do give a second chance... eventually.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Update Apr 25, 2017

Now the result is finally visible on the dashboard.
I wonder if the threshold was the same for all languages, because for English-Polish it was extremely high, I suppose.

[Edited at 2017-04-25 19:36 GMT]

Bozena Lipska
Bozena Lipska
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
did not pass as well Apr 25, 2017

KatKapusta wrote:

Congrats everyone who passed! I actually got my result and it was 84% but it came along with this note:
At this time, your score did not reach the required threshold for your language.

I got 83,33% and didn't pass as well. I wonder how much was the said threshold. Can someone from the lucky ones share their score as a reference point? Thanks.

[Edited at 2017-04-25 19:44 GMT]

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Percent Apr 25, 2017

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Now the result is finally visible on the dashboard.
I wonder if the threshold was the same for all languages, because for English-Polish it was extremely high, I suppose.

[Edited at 2017-04-25 19:36 GMT]

Wojtek, what was your score? I got 90,67% and I think that I might have been on borderline pass, if 86% was a fail.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »