Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Andreea Vertes
Andreea Vertes  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:35
English to Romanian
+ ...
Phase 5 Apr 21, 2017

I also had 2 clips in phase 5, but I think that this might be a bug. In the instructions, the last phase is described as "a translation sample" and, furthermore, "This test should take approximately 90 minutes", which would simply be impossible with 2 clips - 40 min each.

Again, I think this is a bug; I sent a report to Support, but got no answer. My only problem is that I fear this might influence the test results.

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

kiara kiaora wrote:
Has anyone had this kind of problem with their test? Any suggestions? Should I create a second profile and restart? I am not too kin on retaking the first 3 stages and I am not sure I should try test 5 and start the timer on that one too without having solved stage 4 first.

I actually had a number of issues throughout the test, but somehow managed to work around them :/
I started the test on one of my notebooks and had to switch to another computer because the images in test 4 would not show. Unfortunately, I was not able to find out why. I checked that it met all the requirements before starting, so that could not be it. Indeed, the time will continue to run, so you can only close the test to stop it. When you restart the test, the timer will resume, so this was a concern. By the time I noticed this, I had already wasted some 5 minutes just trying to figure out what to do. Fortunately, when I resumed the test on my desktop it worked fine and the images displayed.

Unfortunately, I think it's not possible to skip one section, you have to take them in order for some reason. As per their description, phase 5 contains 2 clips (you have 40 minutes for each, which is more than sufficient). Because of the environment used, the two clips are two separate links. FYI, I also had some weird errors in the subtitling sections in the last phase, but I just ignored them :/

There is no actual way to see your answers after you submit them, which is unfortunate and might cause endless disputes. By the time I get the results I will not even remember I took the test, let along whatever answers I gave...

[Editat la 2017-04-20 14:57 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Bottom line... Apr 21, 2017

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

There is no actual way to see your answers after you submit them, which is unfortunate and might cause endless disputes. By the time I get the results I will not even remember I took the test, let along whatever answers I gave...

The test was free and voluntary.
Nobody paid anything to take it, and nobody was forced to do so.
No consequences to anyone who didn't.
No promises or guarantees were made to those who did.

Bottom line is that Netflix is free to hire - or not - anyone they wish, IF and WHEN they ever wish.

All they have is a sample, supposedly of the applicant's work.
No visible security measures were taken to confirm that any applicant was really the one who took the test, and nothing prevents candidates from having taken the test more than once under different identities.

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
2 clips Apr 21, 2017

Andreea Vertes wrote:
Again, I think this is a bug

Hi, Andreea.
It's not a bug. I think everyone had two clips. Maybe it made sense to have two different clips. Some people had a sports one that they really hated, but with a second clip they can still show their skills.
Also: http://nflx.it/2pZdnSA
I think the 90 minutes are just an estimation of the actual time it would take as opposed to the max time given.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote
Bottom line is that Netflix is free to hire - or not - anyone they wish, IF and WHEN they ever wish.

True and that is quite fine in my book.

It would have been nice to see my answers just because I came across some errors in phase 5 and I would have liked some reassurance that everything actually worked. After a few errors, I became a bit paranoid ))

[Editat la 2017-04-21 16:00 GMT]

Chiara Sodi
Chiara Sodi
Italy
Local time: 08:35
English to Italian
. Apr 21, 2017

Michele Vartuli wrote:

kiara, to stop the timer, they said you have to close your browser window. I've tried it and that really works. When you log in again, the timer starts again from where it left off.

I'm glad I've managed to register, get my Hermes number and do my test without any hassles, after reading so many horror stories from other candidates. I don't know whether these people have done anything wrong in the process without realizing it (maybe using a web browser other than Chrome?) or it's just bad luck. I've experienced a little video buffering when I was wrapping up my test, too, but nothing too despairing. I would advise anyone to do their tests late at night (like I did), after 2 or 3 AM, to avoid a throttled Internet connection due to local traffic. Remember that streaming video has to go through many nodes to get to your computer, and any one of those could be strangled, even if you're getting full speed at your end. And Stage 5 is actually two videos. That's just the way it is. It was like that in the Portuguese and Italian tests I took. Maybe they decided that just one video segment was too little material and added a second one. In the test description it says it takes 90 minutes to complete the test, but that's if you count only one of the Stages 5. Go figure.

The timer stopped when I clicked on the link for the support and then restarted again from where it left off when I went back to the page. That's why I was hoping I would get an email from support. Every time I check if the video is now working or not, I "waste" time. I don't want to end up in having to take the test with only 5 minutes left.

I was expecting some sort of glitch (mainly with the log in), but not problems of this kind, especially since I am using a computer that has all the system requirements Netflix requested.

I too took the test late at night hoping it would help, but it didn't. It wasn't 2 a.m. but it was still late.
I'll try even later, if I manage to stay awake

Andreea Vertes
Andreea Vertes  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
I see, Cristiana. My bad :) Thank you. Apr 21, 2017

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Andreea Vertes wrote:
Again, I think this is a bug

Hi, Andreea.
It's not a bug. I think everyone had two clips. Maybe it made sense to have two different clips. Some people had a sports one that they really hated, but with a second clip they can still show their skills.
Also: http://nflx.it/2pZdnSA
I think the 90 minutes are just an estimation of the actual time it would take as opposed to the max time given.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote

True and that is quite fine in my book.

It would have been nice to see my answers just because I came across some errors in phase 5 and I would have liked some reassurance that everything actually worked. After a few errors, I became a bit paranoid ))

[Editat la 2017-04-21 16:00 GMT]

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
An update from Netflix? Apr 21, 2017

This e-mail was posted on one of Facebook groups for translators and, if it's true, it could mean that we will receive our results soon:

Hi all, thank you for your patience regarding the visibility into your test results. We previously messaged that your results would be in your homepage within 10 bushiness days, this unfortunately was short sited and hasn't happened for the majority of our applicants. The high volume of applicants has had us rethink how we get this information to a
... See more
This e-mail was posted on one of Facebook groups for translators and, if it's true, it could mean that we will receive our results soon:

Hi all, thank you for your patience regarding the visibility into your test results. We previously messaged that your results would be in your homepage within 10 bushiness days, this unfortunately was short sited and hasn't happened for the majority of our applicants. The high volume of applicants has had us rethink how we get this information to all applicants in a timely manner and all scores should be visible to those who have completed the test by the end of next week.

Thank you for your patience and we are looking forward to all of our applicants receiving their scores.
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Where did you read this? Apr 22, 2017

Hello Magdalena,

Thanks for posting this thread and for the update. May I ask what FB group this update was posted to?

Thank you in advance!

Monica

Magdalena Bardalinska wrote:

Hi all, thank you for your patience regarding the visibility into your test results. We previously messaged that your results would be in your homepage within 10 bushiness days, this unfortunately was short sited and hasn't happened for the majority of our applicants. The high volume of applicants has had us rethink how we get this information to all applicants in a timely manner and all scores should be visible to those who have completed the test by the end of next week.

Thank you for your patience and we are looking forward to all of our applicants receiving their scores.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
About the italics Apr 22, 2017

A lot of folks are complaining about not being able to italicize the text. Has anyone been able to do it?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »