Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
Local time: 10:38
English to Polish
Apr 7, 2017

I'm genuinely surprised that no one have started this topic yet.
I was wondering who of you took the test and, more importantly, who already got their results? In my case 10 days have not passed yet, but from what I know from other people, this is definitely going to be longer. I really blame all the news portals, that started shouting 'Netflix is going to pay USERS for translation and they'll give you bazzillion of dollars for a minute!', which encourage thousands of people with no experi
... See more
I'm genuinely surprised that no one have started this topic yet.
I was wondering who of you took the test and, more importantly, who already got their results? In my case 10 days have not passed yet, but from what I know from other people, this is definitely going to be longer. I really blame all the news portals, that started shouting 'Netflix is going to pay USERS for translation and they'll give you bazzillion of dollars for a minute!', which encourage thousands of people with no experience to take the test (and therefore swamp revisers with tones of additional work).
Anyway, I'm not entirely happy about how my test went, especially because I got the notorious American football video, which was way out of my specialty scope and the vocabulary was awful. Also italicizing function was not working nor in my case nor in anybody's else, so I'm silently hoping that they will notice that and not take that into account when evaluating.
What is also bothering me is that I took the test even before my clients started contacting me about it, so I registered as individual translator (with hope of being able to work with Netflix directly). Now I'm not able to add my clients anywhere and I'm afraid that with this huge load of tests, Netflix is going to prioritize assessing their vendors' candidates first.
Collapse

Andrejs Gorbunovs
Andrejs Gorbunovs  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:38
Member (2013)
English to Latvian
+ ...
2+ weeks waiting Apr 7, 2017

Still waiting for my results too.

However, I think you did good on registering as an independent service provider (as I did).
I think that sooner or later (and now, when Netflix will have huge database of subtitlers who have passed their test) they will cut out the middle man (to reduce costs, if nothing else).

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I liked taking the test Apr 7, 2017

I think it was well-devised. The multiple-choice parts - which a computer can score instantly - will really enable them to screen out those who haven't got what it takes. Their online video translation platform is much better than the ones I've seen imposed by some translation agencies/subtitling firms. As the clips are short, it won't be difficult for skilled evaluators to score them.

Netflix reaching out to freelance translators directly may be a sign that the in-between "vendors"
... See more
I think it was well-devised. The multiple-choice parts - which a computer can score instantly - will really enable them to screen out those who haven't got what it takes. Their online video translation platform is much better than the ones I've seen imposed by some translation agencies/subtitling firms. As the clips are short, it won't be difficult for skilled evaluators to score them.

Netflix reaching out to freelance translators directly may be a sign that the in-between "vendors" are not paying translators enough to get acceptable quality. Though it will involve extensive project management work from the Nexflix staff, they'll supposedly be able to control the quality level of the translations they hire.
Collapse

Shan Jiang

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Still waiting for the test link.....! Apr 7, 2017

I am still waiting since 24th March for the test link to be sent to my mobile phone!

I have not done any test yet!

I sent them a support email today, hoping that there will be a rapid response.....

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mobile phone for the test? I don't think that's feasible Apr 7, 2017

Morano El-Kholy wrote:

I am still waiting since 24th March for the test link to be sent to my mobile phone!

I have not done any test yet!

I sent them a support email today, hoping that there will be a rapid response.....

May I suggest you just use your desktop or laptop computer?

Good luck.

Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
I have a few questions Apr 7, 2017

Regarding this infamous football video, can you give examples of what the questions were like and what the football vocabulary involved in the questions was?

I find this odd, since the description of the test says that the possible answers are offered in the target language. American football is not a very popular sport in global terms, most languages probably don't have words for football vocabulary.

Does phase 4 (the technical test) off
... See more

Regarding this infamous football video, can you give examples of what the questions were like and what the football vocabulary involved in the questions was?

I find this odd, since the description of the test says that the possible answers are offered in the target language. American football is not a very popular sport in global terms, most languages probably don't have words for football vocabulary.

Does phase 4 (the technical test) offer possible answers or do you have to write them in?

Are there multiple possible answers per question?
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I have to apologize.... Apr 7, 2017

I think that I have to apologize for my previous comment because I have just found the link in one of my messages sent to me on 24th March and which was hidden among several unread messages!

Mario Chavez wrote:

Mobile phone for the test? I don't think that's feasible

Yes, Mario, I did not mean doing the test via my mobile bu
... See more
I think that I have to apologize for my previous comment because I have just found the link in one of my messages sent to me on 24th March and which was hidden among several unread messages!

Mario Chavez wrote:

Mobile phone for the test? I don't think that's feasible

Yes, Mario, I did not mean doing the test via my mobile but rather they only sent me a link to the test via a mobile message.

Thanks for your reply.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, they use a mobile phone Apr 7, 2017

Morano El-Kholy wrote:

Yes, Mario, I did not mean doing the test via my mobile but rather they only sent me a link to the test via a mobile message.

They send the Hermes URL and the H-code (= password) for login via SMS to a cell phone.

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
To Franjo Apr 7, 2017

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Does phase 4 (the technical test) offer possible answers or do you have to write them in?

#1 I was referring to video test in the last part, not the multiple-choice questions.
#2 It's multiple choice, no writing.

About multiple possible answers, it's always one BUT one of my questions in the technical part was obviously a bug, because there were two evident errors in a subtitle - it was too long (running through the whole scene) and it had a typo, so I had to choose one. Which is a bummer, because if I hit the wrong one, which is not in the key, this is gonna be an error. This is why I'm gonna say that this test it far from ideal.

Sabrina Silva de Paula
Sabrina Silva de Paula
Brazil
Member (2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Half way through Apr 7, 2017

I have finished the multiple choice part of the test, and will finish the rest of it tomorrow. When I saw the football video and noticed that I would have a hard time with vocabulary, I chose to do it on my day off, with more free time and a clear mind. Good luck, everyone!

Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
Re: The football video Apr 7, 2017

Magdalena Bardalinska wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

#1 I was referring to video test in the last part, not the multiple-choice questions.

About multiple possible answers, it's always one BUT one of my questions in the technical part was obviously a bug, because there were two evident errors in a subtitle - it was too long (running through the whole scene) and it had a typo, so I had to choose one. Which is a bummer, because if I hit the wrong one, which is not in the key, this is gonna be an error. This is why I'm gonna say that this test it far from ideal.

Thanks!

Regarding #1, what are these questions in connection to the football video like?

I understand from the description of the test that you are played this video and then you are asked questions with answers offered in the target language.

What are the questions and answers like for this football video?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Video Apr 7, 2017

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Thanks!

Regarding #1, what are these questions in connection to the football video like?

I understand from the description of the test that you are played this video and then you are asked questions with answers offered in the target language.

The video is a subtitling tasks. There are no questions.

Pearl1919 (X)
Pearl1919 (X)
Italy
Login issue to take the Hermes translation test! Apr 7, 2017

Dear Fellow Translators! Has anyone else experienced problems in logging in to take the Hermes Translation Test? Hermes will not recognise my login details, even though they are correct. I wrote Tech Support and they wrote back to apologise for the coding error on their part, but the issue persists and has not yet been resolved. I even wrote the CEO -- still to no avail. Any similar experiences out there? According to at least one media report, thousands have already taken this test:

... See more
Dear Fellow Translators! Has anyone else experienced problems in logging in to take the Hermes Translation Test? Hermes will not recognise my login details, even though they are correct. I wrote Tech Support and they wrote back to apologise for the coding error on their part, but the issue persists and has not yet been resolved. I even wrote the CEO -- still to no avail. Any similar experiences out there? According to at least one media report, thousands have already taken this test:

http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/social/netflix-hermes-translation-test-completed-by-thousands-globally-4594100/

Is the site simply overwhelmed?

Any feedback would be welcome! Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
Oh! Apr 8, 2017

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Thanks!

The video is a subtitling tasks. There are no questions.

Oh, I see, well, then I go back to my original question, which is how the heck do they expect people to translate a bunch of words specific to American football when the dang thing is played in, what, one country in the world?

I mean, I guess maybe they EXPECT people to not be able to do it, but it would have made more sense to choose something where you can differentiate between people who are familiar with American culture and those that aren't, or something like that, not give a task in which ALL are doomed to fail, because you're not differentiating between anything.

[Edited at 2017-04-08 00:15 GMT]

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Kafkaesque Apr 8, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I think it was well-devised.

The German test I did was not, in my opinion.
The multiple choice part contained some answers that were too similar in nature; sometimes none of the German answers really hit the mark.
The "find the error in the subtitle" part contained a small mistake by the spotter, but that was none of the options given.
Most of all, I hated the fact that the video window could not be resized or separated to put it on a different monitor -- I had to put on reading glasses and move my head close to the screen like an idiot.

Plus, I find the whole thing a bit kafkaesque ... I do not assume we will be given details on the score.

[Edited at 2017-04-08 06:51 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »