Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
rmartinezziade
rmartinezziade
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not possible! Apr 26, 2017

Magdalena Bardalinska wrote:

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

If you fail the test, you can retake it to get a better score.

[Editat la 2017-04-26 11:43 GMT]

Whoa, what? How do you know that?

I asked Netflix, they said it was not possible. This was their reply on this matter,

"Currently, we are not offering a retake of the test. Should we do so, we will let you know at the earliest."

Jannies
Jannies
Local time: 12:46
English to Czech
+ ...
Czech threshold Apr 26, 2017

Hi everyone,

does anybody know what the threshold for the Czech was? I scored 75,33%, so I would like to know. Thank you.

Jannies

CinarT
CinarT
Türkiye
The questions Apr 26, 2017

I have passed the test with a quite nice result but I must admit some questions were really weird in Turkish as well. I guess it's like this in most languages.

Magdalena Adamus
Magdalena Adamus
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Message from a vendor Apr 26, 2017

This is a fragement of a message that one vendor was sending o their linguists:

There have been some problems with accessing the Hermes test, but Netflix seem to have resolved many of these problems and translators are now receiving the results of the tests back.
Currently Netflix are evaluating the difficulty of the tests and will be making adjustments to what they consider a pass or fail once they get more data, so do not be discouraged by a fail mark for now.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nice Apr 26, 2017

There have been some problems with accessing the Hermes test, but Netflix seem to have resolved many of these problems and translators are now receiving the results of the tests back.
Currently Netflix are evaluating the difficulty of the tests and will be making adjustments to what they consider a pass or fail once they get more data, so do not be discouraged by a fail mark for now.

Ooo, very professional. They first inform you that you've passed the test and they will contact you with future projects, but later you might find out that you've actually failed and the whole thing was just a good old joke?

Elena Rohr
Elena Rohr
Italy
Retaking the test Apr 26, 2017

Does anybody know if it is possible to retake the test?

ZeinaHechme
ZeinaHechme
Antigua Barbuda
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I took the test, but didn't make the threshold requirement Apr 26, 2017

I did English-Portuguese ,and got 75%. I live in Antigua and Barbuda (painfully slow internet), and have no previous experience in subtitling. I just thought that it sounded like an amazing opportunity, and decided to give it a go. I would love to get into the translating/subtitling field. Would have been great to have gotten the job, but c'est la vie. I do wish there was an opportunity to do a retake however.

Brenda Rois
Brenda Rois
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Disappointed!!! Apr 26, 2017

Hi everyone!

I got my scores back and I only got 78,56% in English-Portuguese and 76,03% in English-French. I was quite upset but by reading this thread I was a bit more relaxed. I have no experience with subtitling, all my experiences in the translation field were with real time translations.

I decided to give it a try but I thought I would get a better score. I mean, by the time I was taking the test, I realized is not about how fluent you are.

I was pre
... See more
Hi everyone!

I got my scores back and I only got 78,56% in English-Portuguese and 76,03% in English-French. I was quite upset but by reading this thread I was a bit more relaxed. I have no experience with subtitling, all my experiences in the translation field were with real time translations.

I decided to give it a try but I thought I would get a better score. I mean, by the time I was taking the test, I realized is not about how fluent you are.

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't offer me a Portuguese-French test as I "requested" during my application. I am sure I could do so much better since I've lived half of my life in each country.

The test was a bit confusing but I'll try to do better next time (if there's a next time!)

[Edited at 2017-04-26 20:47 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The acid test Apr 26, 2017

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Ooo, very professional. They first inform you that you've passed the test and they will contact you with future projects, but later you might find out that you've actually failed and the whole thing was just a good old joke?

No matter the criteria used, they'll have to take stock of what they got, in terms of both "approved" translators and movies to be translated. It's unlikely that they'll fail someone who has passed already, however the opposite may be true, or not.

As many fellow Prozians pointed out, in some languages there was more than one correct option for the same question. Say that for the Slobovian test, in question #4 both B and C were correct. However the computer only considered C as being correct. They can easily re-run all tests and check how many would have passed, if the computer had considered B as the proper answer.

If they only have ONE translator who passed, say from English into Uzbek, it will take a whale of time to get an adequate number of films subtitled to sell subscriptions in Uzbekistan. They'll be looking for more.

Conversely, if they have, say, 10,000 translators from English into Spanish who passed, most of these will not be receiving any assignment from them in the next few years.

Then there is the churning rate. If a translator who aced their test delivers his/her first two assignments late for any reason - or no reason at all - its' likely that they will move on...

In any case, this will require some tremendous project/vendor management muscle.

[Edited at 2017-04-26 20:55 GMT]

Mike Popov
Mike Popov
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:46
English to Russian
+ ...
please see the post above Apr 26, 2017

Elena Rohr wrote:

Does anybody know if it is possible to retake the test?

your question is already answered...

Victor Cadenas
Victor Cadenas
Local time: 08:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reality check Apr 26, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Conversely, if they have, say, 10,000 translators from English into Spanish who passed, most of these will not be receiving any assignment from them in the next few years.

This is what scares me the most at this point, and it is a pretty good reason to short-circuit the hype of passing the test with less than 100%.

Still, we shall see. Bold moves such as this one require some patience from everyone's side while things get ironed out.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

In any case, this will require some tremendous project/vendor management muscle.

I do not envy, at all, whoever is or is going to be in charge of that department.

ChachiArcola
ChachiArcola
Italy
Objectives Apr 26, 2017

This is what I call confusion.
About Netflix' own objectives in the first place, because it is unclear whether they are trying to assess a level of proficiency (and in this case a clear "Pass" score had to exist BEFORE, without "adjustments") or creating a Gaussian classification of their translators (and this is a completely different pair of sleeves), whatever the reason for that.
About the test too, because not only the assessment process is unclear without public assessment criteria, but also because some have already shown that the test could be passed without... basically taking the test itself (i.e. blanking the subtitling part). I'm surprised of what I've read about people passing the test just answering the first 4 modules, which basically involved an average ability to Google... not even the ability to speak English, let alone that of doing something subtle like translating properly into your own language.
And all this in a field of expertise where appropriate tests exist, in abundance.

As I said, I'm no professional in this field, but all this looks to me poor design and poor management.
I'm surprised because, as far as I can see, this test was administered by Netflix to their whole translators' base, even to those working through contractors.
Were they really looking for translators/subtitlers with a given level of ability (THEY said 80)? They have them now, and all this "adjustable threshold" act is a sign of scarce respect toward those who applied. And for some of them their jobs depend on this test.
Not good, I'm surprised and eating Smashing Pumpkins all over again...

Miroslav Pošta
Miroslav Pošta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No idea, but somewhere between 76.67% and 91.33% Apr 26, 2017

Jannies wrote:

Hi everyone,

does anybody know what the threshold for the Czech was? I scored 75,33%, so I would like to know. Thank you.

Jannies

Hi, I scored 91.33% and passed. A friend scored 76.67% and failed. Anyone else in between?

[Edited at 2017-04-26 22:20 GMT]

maroscz
maroscz
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Czech Threshold Apr 26, 2017

Jannies wrote:

Hi everyone,

Jannies

80.66% was a pass.

María Marí Ros
María Marí Ros  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Retaking the test Apr 27, 2017

Actually, anyone can retake the test just by starting again the registration process and using a different cell number.

I did so myself just to check what was happening with the scores. I completed the first four sections not paying too much attention. Then I completed the last two sections.

I got immediately my results. I mean immediately, just after clicking submit. I got a 81,33%, by the way. I wasn't planning to pass (I swear I am no longer interested on working w
... See more
Actually, anyone can retake the test just by starting again the registration process and using a different cell number.

I did so myself just to check what was happening with the scores. I completed the first four sections not paying too much attention. Then I completed the last two sections.

I got immediately my results. I mean immediately, just after clicking submit. I got a 81,33%, by the way. I wasn't planning to pass (I swear I am no longer interested on working with Netflix), so everything was okay (I even got a higher score than I expected). After seeing that I hadn't pass with my previous score, a 92%, it all became an absurd.

As someone said, it has been Netflix who has failed. There's no human review at all. It's like any other test (Sfera and so on), but they just let you keep on completing sections, no matter the results on the previous ones. I am wondering how many minutes of video they got translated for free.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »