Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Even if he had checked it... Mar 27, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Did you ... check the following source below?
https://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

Capture-3

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
But did you check ... Mar 27, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
screenshot

screenshot rates

Perhaps the OP should offer his services in EUR then?
I understand that this tool is questionable because it does not consider the declining rates which are the result of the DeepL effect the most of us are suffering now with its associated flood of post-editing jobs etc.
Edited: Oh, I see now, he did.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-03-27 11:01 GMT]

Bruno Pavesi
Bruno Pavesi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:42
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yep Mar 27, 2022

I find that most of the rates agencies offer me are around those numbers. At least it's a step up from when I used to receive a flood of "would you be willing to accept 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001?"

P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bye, Korana Mar 27, 2022

Korana Lasić wrote:

I shall stop here because censoring my posts on bogus excuses is a clear hint and, unlike Chris, I can take a hint and I do try to (sooner rather than later) leave places, virtual or otherwise where I am not wanted!

Your light-hearted take on life will be missed.

Gerard de Noord
Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Robert Forstag
Kevin Fulton
Jan Truper
Peter Shortall

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 01:42
English to Romanian
This Mar 29, 2022

A recent job posting in my language pair and field (recent as in today).
Poster's country: United Kingdom
Rate offered: 0.04 EUR

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
US is not Romania Mar 29, 2022

Some of the translators in your language pair based in the USA charge about 10 times of your rates. They could even charge that high when translating into their second language.

[Edited at 2022-03-24 03:55 GMT]

Well, you said it. They live in the US.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
It's not me Mar 29, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Who says it's 'enough' for your country? Agencies?

Yup, agencies.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
Thanks Mar 29, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Why must you be so aggressive? Sorana was simply trying to respond to the original question about whether those rates are commonly offered or considered fair by some. She says that in her experience, they are. She's not boasting about it. She's just stating the reality of her own situation, which is useful information for the original poster to know.

Romanian cost of living is even lower than that of South Africa.

Thank you for your understanding and kind words, but Romania is NOT a cheap country for Romanians in terms of living costs. Several foreign agencies seem to believe it is, but it's not. I've tried explaining, to no avail. I don't know what criteria they use when determining what is cheap and what is expensive for someone living in this or that country. 'cause I wouldn't be able to establish anything, given that I don't know that person's reality. Like Google may state some costs, but the reality may well be different.

If such agencies do this with other translators as well - considering them in terms of the country they live in - it's no wonder we end up asking ourselves if they are serious or not and if their rates are for real.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
You're wrong Mar 29, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

As for Sorana, it occurred to me that she might be exclusively working with Romanian agencies. That could explain her issues with low rates.

Romanian agencies do not pay per word. They pay per 2,000 characters with or without spaces, depends on their norm. I do not work with them.
Is 0.05 USD/source word a low or high rate? 'cause that's what a US agency offered me a looong time ago right here, on proz.com.
What about the 0.02 EUR/source word offered by a UK agency? Am I allowed to say who they are? 'cause I think I may still be able to find their email. They were also from proz.com.

[Edited at 2022-03-29 20:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-03-30 07:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-03-30 07:28 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:42
German to English
Paying for spaces Mar 29, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:

Romanian agencies do not pay per word. They pay per 2,000 characters with or without spaces, depends on their norm.

[Edited at 2022-03-29 20:22 GMT]

If they don't pay for word spacing, don't give them any!

Jorge Payan

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Rates real? Mar 29, 2022

Sorana, many agencies in the UK are set up by people from Eastern Europe, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent. They pay what they would in their native country. Check the board of directors or the CEO before dealing with a UK agency.

Baran Keki

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Serbian to English
+ ...
Not quite ... Mar 30, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Sorana, many agencies in the UK are set up by people from Eastern Europe, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent. They pay what they would in their native country. Check the board of directors or the CEO before dealing with a UK agency.

Not in my experience - I had a fair sampling of "pure natives" (in London UK) whose understanding of what is "acceptable business practices" and "fair price" is simply beyond belief. The kind of "professionals" that in all fairness should be considered as "unfair competition" to said "agencies in the UK set up by people from Eastern Europe, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent".

You got there a completely irrelevant criteria, I'm afraid ...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Rates real? Mar 30, 2022

Daryo, what may be relevant for your language-Serbian-may not be relevant for my languages: Russian, Chinese and Japanese.
Everyone has their own experiences and I said "many agencies" not "all". What I said in reference to the UK also, unfortunately, happens to be true for many (not all) agencies in US. As the Japanese say: "Junin toiro" (ten people, ten opinions"). A major cavil:
many of the agencies which post jobs in proz.com portray themselves as US companies. Once you dig a bi
... See more
Daryo, what may be relevant for your language-Serbian-may not be relevant for my languages: Russian, Chinese and Japanese.
Everyone has their own experiences and I said "many agencies" not "all". What I said in reference to the UK also, unfortunately, happens to be true for many (not all) agencies in US. As the Japanese say: "Junin toiro" (ten people, ten opinions"). A major cavil:
many of the agencies which post jobs in proz.com portray themselves as US companies. Once you dig a bit deeper, they are not.
An agency may have an office in Mayfair or Manhattan but eventually you find out they are in fact headquartered somewhere in East Gavnyukistan.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Paying for spaces Mar 30, 2022

Kevin Fulton wrote:
Sorana_M. wrote:
Romanian agencies do not pay per word. They pay per 2,000 characters with or without spaces, depends on their norm.

If they don't pay for word spacing, don't give them any!

This is like saying "if they don't pay for punctuation, don't give them any".

We who charge per word don't charge separately for punctuation, but we never gripe about that. That is because the count (be it character count, line count, word count etc.) is just a metric to arrive at the final amount.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Matthias Mar 30, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Perhaps the OP should offer his services in EUR then?
Edited: Oh, I see now, he did.

Thanks for the correction. It never occurred to me that the EUR amounts in the rates tool are actual amounts. I thought the system just converts the USD to EUR and vice versa. In many of the cases where I had previously checked both USD and EUR rates in this tool, it appeared as if a simple conversion had been applied, but I was wrong.

Matthias Brombach

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are these rates real?!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »