Anita Karlson
Anita Karlson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:28
Member (2005)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2002

Hi,

Does anyone know of good tools to compare text for those of us without Trados?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which format? Oct 23, 2002

You didn\'t specify which text formats you need to compare - the most obvious is probably the revision marking function in MS Word.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
general comments Oct 23, 2002

Judging from the only response I received to a similar question and a bit of web searching, there\'s very little available that\'s suitable for translators. There are several freeware/share file comparison tools avialable, but they\'re designed primarily for programmers. One that I found and have used, and am happy with (given its limitations), is CSDiff (freeware, see www.componentsoftware.com/csdiff) . If you... See more
Judging from the only response I received to a similar question and a bit of web searching, there\'s very little available that\'s suitable for translators. There are several freeware/share file comparison tools avialable, but they\'re designed primarily for programmers. One that I found and have used, and am happy with (given its limitations), is CSDiff (freeware, see www.componentsoftware.com/csdiff) . If you are comparing Word documents, it uses the Word compare function, but it gives you a much nicer user interface (you don\'t have to open the documents first) and gives you a Word temp document that you can save with your own name.

Regarding the Word compare function, it is semi-OK. Its major weaknesses (as far as I know) are:

- It gets more or less confused if the documents being compared contain graphics and the graphics do not have identical locations in the two documents (as is usually the case).

- It totally fails with tables. If you must compare text in tables, first convert the tables to text -- which can involve a significant amount of cleanup work if they are complicated.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tools to compare text?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »