Anita Karlson
Anita Karlson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
Lid 2005
Engels naar Noors
+ ...
Oct 23, 2002

Hi,

Does anyone know of good tools to compare text for those of us without Trados?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Which format? Oct 23, 2002

You didn\'t specify which text formats you need to compare - the most obvious is probably the revision marking function in MS Word.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
general comments Oct 23, 2002

Judging from the only response I received to a similar question and a bit of web searching, there\'s very little available that\'s suitable for translators. There are several freeware/share file comparison tools avialable, but they\'re designed primarily for programmers. One that I found and have used, and am happy with (given its limitations), is CSDiff (freeware, see www.componentsoftware.com/csdiff) . If you... See more
Judging from the only response I received to a similar question and a bit of web searching, there\'s very little available that\'s suitable for translators. There are several freeware/share file comparison tools avialable, but they\'re designed primarily for programmers. One that I found and have used, and am happy with (given its limitations), is CSDiff (freeware, see www.componentsoftware.com/csdiff) . If you are comparing Word documents, it uses the Word compare function, but it gives you a much nicer user interface (you don\'t have to open the documents first) and gives you a Word temp document that you can save with your own name.

Regarding the Word compare function, it is semi-OK. Its major weaknesses (as far as I know) are:

- It gets more or less confused if the documents being compared contain graphics and the graphics do not have identical locations in the two documents (as is usually the case).

- It totally fails with tables. If you must compare text in tables, first convert the tables to text -- which can involve a significant amount of cleanup work if they are complicated.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tools to compare text?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »