entry level, translation software to learn/use?
Thread poster: edzhang
edzhang
edzhang
Local time: 07:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 25, 2022

hi, as a newcomer to proz.com, I've noticed the the jobs posted, needs the translator to be able to use software, the problem is:
- there are different CAT tools
- googled a bit, but all seems need to be paid

so, my question is, what software do i need use at first to get started
google translate is also a CAT?

thanks everyone!

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 15:33
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Do your homework... Apr 25, 2022

edzhang wrote:

No. It's a DOG.

Please do your homework, edzhang, before asking such funny questions. As minimum read some Wikipedia articles and Proz forums - you will find plenty of useful information...

Jorge Payan
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:33
Italian to Russian
+ ...
free tools Apr 26, 2022

1. Wordfast Anywhere https://www.freetm.com uses WorldLingo and MyMemory MT services which help improve translation quality

2. Déjà Vu X3 Free https://atril.com/product/deja-vu-x3-free

This is a fully-functional evaluation version of Déjà Vu X3 CAT tool which includes ’30-days Tr
... See more
1. Wordfast Anywhere https://www.freetm.com uses WorldLingo and MyMemory MT services which help improve translation quality

2. Déjà Vu X3 Free https://atril.com/product/deja-vu-x3-free

This is a fully-functional evaluation version of Déjà Vu X3 CAT tool which includes ’30-days Trial’ of the Professional Version. We believe that within 30 day Déjà Vu’s features will speak for themselves. After the 30 days period, you will have the free version to view and work on satellite projects sent by translation firms.

Anyway, you'll have to spend some time familiarizing with the basics

[Edited at 2022-04-26 06:42 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
omegaT Apr 26, 2022

edzhang wrote:

hi, as a newcomer to proz.com, I've noticed the the jobs posted, needs the translator to be able to use software, the problem is:

thanks everyone!

Without any doubt: omegaT.

And when you want something like that with extra features and a nicer look, you can invest some of your first money in CafeTran Espresso: annual payment of 80 euros or one-time payment of 200 euros. Maybe, still a lot of money for a starter, but worth every penny of it.

Gennady Lapardin
Christel Zipfel

Charles Peng
Charles Peng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:33
Member (2022)
English to Chinese
Ask yourself two questions and then study in depth Apr 26, 2022

Firstly, you should ask yourself two questions:

- what is the most commonly used software in translation industry?
- what is the most commonly used software for your language pair?

And then study its usage in depth.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:33
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Some links Apr 26, 2022

Have you looked at older threads discussing this topic? See for example
https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/319585-suggestions_on_a_cat_tool_trados_or_wordfast.html

These may be another couple of
... See more
Have you looked at older threads discussing this topic? See for example
https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/319585-suggestions_on_a_cat_tool_trados_or_wordfast.html

These may be another couple of helpful pages:
https://www.germantranslationtips.com/computer-aided-translation-software-comparison.html
https://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/how-many-cat-tools-should-you-need/

Free tools like google translate are not CATs. They can occasionally be helpful to look up a word, but you need to be very careful as the quality can be very unpredictable.
A CAT tool uses previous translations and you (or the client) determine which previous translations to use, so you can feed it (in the glossary or TM) only the translations you trust. Google translate uses just about anything, so has no quality control.

CAT tools are especially helpful if you work in an area where you can expect lots of sentences, phrases or terms to appear repeatedly within a job or in different jobs. Medicine, patents, law and some technical areas are areas that come to mind.

When creativity is more important than consistency, a CAT tool may not be very useful at all.

I use Wordfast Pro. It did not take me long to get used to it, although I prefer WF Pro v3 to the newer WF Pro v5. I have both installed, but use mainly WF Pro3. A free trial version exists.

I also like MemoQ, which I find very intuitive. I only have the free version; clients who want me to use MemoQ provide me with a temporary project license. If you can use Wordfast, I think you will have no trouble using MemoQ.

Trados is the most widely used one, but I can usually handle Trados files and projects in Wordfast. I don't use Trados, so I can't say anything about its pros and cons. Do check out the previously mentioned tools too! Especially if they also accept Trados files (e.g. .sdlxliff files). Does anyone know anything about compatibility that might help?
Collapse

edzhang
Kevin Fulton
Christine Andersen

edzhang
edzhang
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for your helpful and detailed answer for a newbie like me Apr 26, 2022

just read those 3 links that you just gave me, i wasn't sure how to phrase my question to google it

Free tools like google translate are not CATs. They can occasionally be helpful to look up a word, but you need to be very careful as the quality can be very unpredictable.
A CAT tool uses previous translations and you (or the client) determine which previous translations to use, so you can feed it (in the glossary or TM) only the translations you trust. Google translate uses just about anything, so has no quality control.

CAT tools are especially helpful if you work in an area where you can expect lots of sentences, phrases or terms to appear repeatedly within a job or in different jobs. Medicine, patents, law and some technical areas are areas that come to mind.

When creativity is more important than consistency, a CAT tool may not be very useful at all.
I guess it normal word/excel for it?

I use Wordfast Pro. It did not take me long to get used to it, although I prefer WF Pro v3 to the newer WF Pro v5. I have both installed, but use mainly WF Pro3. A free trial version exists.

I also like MemoQ, which I find very intuitive. I only have the free version; clients who want me to use MemoQ provide me with a temporary project license. If you can use Wordfast, I think you will have no trouble using MemoQ.

this was the part that i was actually thinking all this time, with so many different translation software, it'll be very expensive to buy all those translating software that different clients are using, in case that the client ask you to use a translation software, and they themselves can't provide a project license key, what is the best course of action

Trados is the most widely used one, but I can usually handle Trados files and projects in Wordfast. I don't use Trados, so I can't say anything about its pros and cons. Do check out the previously mentioned tools too! Especially if they also accept Trados files (e.g. .sdlxliff files). Does anyone know anything about compatibility that might help?

ok, i'll select trados and learn its functionalities!

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Try a demo Apr 26, 2022

Afaik, MemoQ and SDL Trados have demo versions

You really should learn at least one of these two

Rex Su
Rex Su
China
Local time: 20:33
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Raise your question after doing research May 7, 2022

I agree with some people's opinions here that you should do research or use some tools (such as Google Translate) before asking questions here.

My recommendation:
Free CAT: Matecat
Paid CAT: Trados

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Edzhang May 7, 2022

edzhang wrote:

If you want something that is free, then OmegaT and Wordfast Anywhere are your best options.

However, using a CAT tool requires a certain level of computer skill. And if clients want you to use a CAT tool, they typically require you to be proficient in it, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

If you mainly try to get jobs from agencies that require a CAT tool, then you're going to have to spend money. I recommend MemoQ, but Trados is not bad either. You can do many Trados jobs in MemoQ, but you can do fewer MemoQ jobs in Trados. It's possible to do Trados and MemoQ jobs in a free CAT tool, but if you do that, you usually can't count on the client's support if something goes wrong or if you don't quite understand the process.

Both Trados (EUR 855) and MemoQ (EUR 620) cost a lot of money, though. If you're just starting out as a translator, it may not be a wise investment because your client base may be too small to support such an expensive tool. Both Trados and MemoQ are once-off purchases, though (there will always be newer versions, but you can keep on using an older version for many years, even if the client has a newer version).

Christine Andersen
Jorge Payan
edzhang

edzhang
edzhang
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks samuel! Jul 28, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

edzhang wrote:

If you want something that is free, then OmegaT and Wordfast Anywhere are your best options.

However, using a CAT tool requires a certain level of computer skill. And if clients want you to use a CAT tool, they typically require you to be proficient in it, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

If you mainly try to get jobs from agencies that require a CAT tool, then you're going to have to spend money. I recommend MemoQ, but Trados is not bad either. You can do many Trados jobs in MemoQ, but you can do fewer MemoQ jobs in Trados. It's possible to do Trados and MemoQ jobs in a free CAT tool, but if you do that, you usually can't count on the client's support if something goes wrong or if you don't quite understand the process.

Both Trados (EUR 855) and MemoQ (EUR 620) cost a lot of money, though. If you're just starting out as a translator, it may not be a wise investment because your client base may be too small to support such an expensive tool. Both Trados and MemoQ are once-off purchases, though (there will always be newer versions, but you can keep on using an older version for many years, even if the client has a newer version).

thanks Samuel for pointing out that the problem was a catch22 problem
i'll get both OmegaT and Wordfast as a starter entry level
Your reply indeed have useful advice

[Edited at 2022-07-29 10:56 GMT]

Bruna Mattos
Bruna Mattos
Brazil
Local time: 09:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Matecat Nov 6, 2022

For beginners, I'd definitely suggest Matecat. It's free, open source and accepts a wide range of file extensions. Also, it is as straight-forward as a good CAT tool can be. It will be great for you to get familiarized with the main CAT tools features and later explore a more complete option, like memoQ (my absolute favorite).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

entry level, translation software to learn/use?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »