I am looking for resources to learn Mayan!
Thread poster: Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:09
English to Catalan
+ ...
Jan 20, 2022

Hello everyone,

I am looking for resources to learn the Mayan language. I don't know much about it but I do know there were thousands of libraries with books, codices, texts and such full of knowledge. We don't want to lose that! Imagine how many advances and technologies we could achieve, or how many illnesses we could cure now with that unique human culture perspective -perhaps even the dreadful COVID could have been cured by now if we researched thoroughly such Mayan language tex
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am looking for resources to learn the Mayan language. I don't know much about it but I do know there were thousands of libraries with books, codices, texts and such full of knowledge. We don't want to lose that! Imagine how many advances and technologies we could achieve, or how many illnesses we could cure now with that unique human culture perspective -perhaps even the dreadful COVID could have been cured by now if we researched thoroughly such Mayan language texts!

So, can you please share where can I find resources to a) learn that beautiful language and b) check all the knowledge that is waiting in those texts?

Thank you!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
21 Jan 20, 2022

Oriol Vives wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am looking for resources to learn the Mayan language. I don't know much about it but I do know there were thousands of libraries with books, codices, texts and such full of knowledge. We don't want to lose that! Imagine how many advances and technologies we could achieve, or how many illnesses we could cure now with that unique human culture perspective -perhaps even the dreadful COVID could have been cured by now if we researched thoroughly such Mayan language texts!

So, can you please share where can I find resources to a) learn that beautiful language and b) check all the knowledge that is waiting in those texts?

Thank you!

There are 21 Mayan languages. Which one do you want to learn?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_languages

Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Oriol Jan 20, 2022

Oriol Vives wrote:
I am looking for resources to learn the Mayan language.

There are about 30 Mayan languages, but I suspect what you're looking for is learning some of the ancient branches of Mayan. This is likely to be taught only at university. Try contacting the authors of the various grammars listed on page 9 of this file:
https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/campuspress.yale.edu/dist/c/1125/files/2015/09/Bennett_etal2015_Mayan_ling_intro-1ymmbkj.pdf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am looking for resources to learn Mayan!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »