Thread poster: Denise De Peña (X)
Denise De Peña (X)
Denise De Peña (X)
Guatemala
Local time: 09:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 16, 2021

Hello, can someone please explain to me what is meant by data packaging as applied to a translation? Thanks !!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
No idea Aug 18, 2021

My best client is an EDI software company and I've been working with them for about twenty years. A large part of the work consists of translating software strings (data), which are simply chunks of text in Spanish which I translate into English. However, I have no idea what "data packaging" for translations means, and if they ever mentioned it to me, I would have to ask them to explain what it means. I could try to guess, but that would not be very fruitful. My advice in this case is to ask the... See more
My best client is an EDI software company and I've been working with them for about twenty years. A large part of the work consists of translating software strings (data), which are simply chunks of text in Spanish which I translate into English. However, I have no idea what "data packaging" for translations means, and if they ever mentioned it to me, I would have to ask them to explain what it means. I could try to guess, but that would not be very fruitful. My advice in this case is to ask the company, agency or person who used the expression in the first place exactly what they mean, if this is possible.

FWIW, here's a link to a definition of "data packaging":
https://www.caul.edu.au/sites/default/files/documents/cairss/cairss2019CAIRSS_Mason_DataPackage_Lightning.pdf

To work with data packaging, it seems you would need to have some sort of programming knowledge, about metadata markers in general and specifically about the different formats used:
Formats including:
• HTML, XML, JSON-LD
• DC, MARC, Schema.org

[Edited at 2021-08-18 06:42 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
They may mean.... Aug 19, 2021

Usually, when translating software strings, we only have to translate the actual words in Spanish into English, but leave all the coding markers, separators, functions, metadata, etc... intact. Perhaps this is what they are referring to.

If you could give us an example in context of how the expression "data packaging" is used, we might be able to suggest a better solution.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Denise Aug 19, 2021

Denise De Peña wrote:
Can someone please explain to me what is meant by "data packaging" as applied to a translation?

I have been unable to find "data package" or "data packaging" in any of my hundreds of reference books about translation, linguistics or language. Are you able to share more information about where you encountered this term?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Data packaging for translations

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »