How to quote Editing, Proofreading and MTPE?
Thread poster: Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2021

Good afternoon, colleagues,

I have started my career as a freelance translator and localizer several months ago. I have already got several clients but all of them use their own platforms and they put their prices (I find them fair or just I receive alerts of new jobs when the price per word is equal or higher than the one in my profile on their platforms).

I only would like to know how you quote editing, proofreading and MTPE jobs. I usually send the agencies my prices
... See more
Good afternoon, colleagues,

I have started my career as a freelance translator and localizer several months ago. I have already got several clients but all of them use their own platforms and they put their prices (I find them fair or just I receive alerts of new jobs when the price per word is equal or higher than the one in my profile on their platforms).

I only would like to know how you quote editing, proofreading and MTPE jobs. I usually send the agencies my prices but I am not sure if it is usual to quote editing and proofreading by target words and MTPE by source word, or it should be everything only by one of them or how?

My pairs are EN>ES and DE>ES, so I profit more by target word from English and my quote by target word is lower from German.

Thank you all and have a nice day!

Yours faithfully,
Jorge
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jorge Oct 19, 2021

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:
I only would like to know how you quote editing, proofreading and MTPE jobs. ... I am not sure if it is usual to quote editing and proofreading by target words and MTPE by source word, or it should be everything only by one of them or how?

In my experience, agencies that pay good money will allow you to charge for MTPE jobs by the hour. The majority of agencies will want you to charge for MTPE by source word (and they expect a rate of at least 50% less than your normal human translation rate). Proofreading and editing is often charged per hour, but most agencies want you to charge a very low hourly rate, which makes it unprofitable. I myself charge for proofreading per word, but if a client wants me to charge per hour or per project, I just do a bit of calculation and convert my "per word" rate into the required rate. I never charge per target word... whether for translation, MTPE, proofreading or editing. But you should ask the client what they're most comfortable with.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jorge Oct 19, 2021

I don’t do MTPE. For proofreading/revision/editing I charge exactly the same 40€ per hour. While proofreading of a given text may take less than an hour, the editing of that very same text can take three or four times more. The market being what it is, my proofreading and editing assignments are few and far between, but I’m not complaining as I prefer translating…

Robert Rietvelt
Florence Risser

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hourly rate Oct 19, 2021

Thank you so much for your information, Teresa and Samuel.

I only have got one experience working on MTPE per hour and it was in a very big project and on a platform. In that case, the tool calculated the time spent regarding the number of words of the hit, so it was very frustrating because I could work around 7 hours on the project per day but my highest time calculated by the tool was 5 hours and a half per day. However, I has been one of the projects I have made more money of by
... See more
Thank you so much for your information, Teresa and Samuel.

I only have got one experience working on MTPE per hour and it was in a very big project and on a platform. In that case, the tool calculated the time spent regarding the number of words of the hit, so it was very frustrating because I could work around 7 hours on the project per day but my highest time calculated by the tool was 5 hours and a half per day. However, I has been one of the projects I have made more money of by now.

For someone like me, who have started his career as a freelance translator around half a year ago, editing and proofreading can be very interesting to learn from human translators and acquire vocabulary and good skills in the source languages and in the target language.

Regarding MTPE, I am afraid of most of the translators losing their jobs because of it in maybe 20 years but I am interested in machine translation itself and wrote my final study to get my Bachelor's Degree in Translation and Intpreting just about it, machine translation.

I also would like to thank you both for sharing your rates and how you calculate your rates, since I know it's something very private.

Greetings,
Jorge
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to quote Editing, Proofreading and MTPE?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »