Thread poster: ritz mollema
ritz mollema
ritz mollema  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 21:38
German to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 24, 2021

The (German) end client of an agency I work for since many years claimed that for the user manuals of their music/radio devices in Dutch language the term 'WLAN' has to be used for wireless networks. In Germany everybody uses WLAN (WéLAN) for wireless networks, however, in the Netherlands (and Belgium?) I believe people rather say 'WiFi' (or even 'wiefie'), as in English speaking countries.

Even after discussion client insists that WLAN is being used for Dutch instruction manuals,
... See more
The (German) end client of an agency I work for since many years claimed that for the user manuals of their music/radio devices in Dutch language the term 'WLAN' has to be used for wireless networks. In Germany everybody uses WLAN (WéLAN) for wireless networks, however, in the Netherlands (and Belgium?) I believe people rather say 'WiFi' (or even 'wiefie'), as in English speaking countries.

Even after discussion client insists that WLAN is being used for Dutch instruction manuals, since it would be the international standard and WiFi only a particular version. As far as I know, nobody in the Netherlands would say/use WLAN, but only 'WiFi' or 'Wireless'. Target group of the devices are mainly young people, I would say.

Is WLAN really understandable for anyone in the Netherlands and Belgium?

Logo_WiFi.svg
Collapse

A. & S. Witte

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Ritz Jun 24, 2021

I’ve lived in Belgium for 30 years (in the francophone part), I’m obviously quite familiar with Wifi and I’ve very occasionally heard people talk about Wireless LAN. For what I’ve researched it seems that in Flanders it’s more common to say... See more
I’ve lived in Belgium for 30 years (in the francophone part), I’m obviously quite familiar with Wifi and I’ve very occasionally heard people talk about Wireless LAN. For what I’ve researched it seems that in Flanders it’s more common to say wifi-systeem than WLAN (please check https://www.zuidwege.be/nl/ and https://www.zuidwege.be/de/).

P.S. I’m just trying to be helpful, German, Flemish and/or Dutch are not my working languages…
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ritz Jun 24, 2021

ritz mollema wrote:
However, in the Netherlands (and Belgium?) I believe people rather say 'WiFi' (or even 'wiefie'), as in English speaking countries.

1. Everyone here uses and knows the term "Wi-Fi" (pronounced vee-fee, often written as "wifi").

2. Far fewer people will know what a "WLAN" is.

3. Note that, if you want to split hairs, not all WLANs use Wi-Fi technology. WLAN means "wireless LAN", and it includes any LAN that has a wireless component at the local level. Theoretically, a WLAN can use Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi. Infrared is another option for the wireless component of a WLAN.

This brings us to the question: do the Germans really mean "WLAN" when they say "WLAN", or is this just the word that they use when they actually mean Wi-Fi?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Side note. Jun 24, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Do the Germans really mean "WLAN" when they say "WLAN", or is this just the word that they use when they actually mean Wi-Fi?

We exclusively use WLAN when we mean Wi-Fi.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
The real difference Jun 24, 2021

The two terms are not the same: WiFi is the most popular type of WLAN today, but certainly not the only one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WLAN or WiFi ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »