Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Jun 25, 2021

Djana Surkovic wrote:

Projects of proofreading google translations are very often lately. Should we accept those projects and deteriorate that way our income and our work?

No.

Djana Surkovic

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 08:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Can't call it proofreading Jun 25, 2021

All I've been doing lately is proofreading MT because 3–4 dollars a month can buy me the convenience of having some text in the target language auto-inserted in the target segment and at least being confident that most of the numbers will be correct. The text itself has about 1/100 chance of being any good; most of the time, I have to rewrite it completely. Don't know if it gets any better with easier projects (I mostly do tough ones, as my tagline goes) or more convenient language pairs than ... See more
All I've been doing lately is proofreading MT because 3–4 dollars a month can buy me the convenience of having some text in the target language auto-inserted in the target segment and at least being confident that most of the numbers will be correct. The text itself has about 1/100 chance of being any good; most of the time, I have to rewrite it completely. Don't know if it gets any better with easier projects (I mostly do tough ones, as my tagline goes) or more convenient language pairs than mine, but I cannot say Google has made me more productive than I could have been without it. Just last night, I had to go to bed at 3 am because a customer who'd initially said they wanted a quick-and-dirty machine translation for their business letter suddenly changed their mind and said they wanted high-quality stuff because no one could understand a thing of what a Finn had written in English and Google or DeepL had translated into Russian (I also think our MT folks use some methods for training AI on human translations, but that doesn't help). My observation is that the smarter translation AI becomes, the more human-like it behaves: it starts making spelling mistakes, omitting meaningful pieces of text in translation, making up gibberish, pretending to mistake hard-to-translate words for other words with a similar spelling, etc. And in compensation for all that, you get one sentence out of a hundred (maybe even fewer) which really comes with a wow effectCollapse

Xiaodong Du
Xiaodong Du
Local time: 13:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
What irritates is quite a lot of time being spent to correct apparent and pointless errors Dec 1, 2021

Sometimes GT translation provides valuable reference for translators.
But if a translator proofreads a GT translation, he or she would inevitably spend quite a lot of time to correct apparent and pointless errors.
Sometimes it takes even more time than you translate directly.
I think this is what most of translator can't put up with.

[Edited at 2021-12-01 05:20 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
SandraV

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google translate proofreading projects

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »