Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
full as a goog Jan 13, 2010

Hey Marinus, aren't we naughty? )

I can understand when one doesn't want to be an active participator, but such an intellectual vandalism... It's very tempting.

IMO *if* Google invites some educational institutions or schools then it will benefit greatly (students get good grades and Google gets decent translation), but this bitter crawdsourcing...

In case so
... See more
Hey Marinus, aren't we naughty? )

I can understand when one doesn't want to be an active participator, but such an intellectual vandalism... It's very tempting.

IMO *if* Google invites some educational institutions or schools then it will benefit greatly (students get good grades and Google gets decent translation), but this bitter crawdsourcing...

In case someone is curious enough to watch something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHxub_yQfig

Cheers)

[Edited at 2010-01-13 18:57 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
You caught them Jan 18, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
here is the reply by their support:
When you create or upload a translation memory in Translator Toolkit
gardless of whether your translation memory is marked, "Shared with everyone" or "Not shared with everyone," we will use your translation memory segments to train Google's machine translation system, which is used in Google Translator Toolkit as well as other products like Google Translate.
[/quote]

If Google want to eat your translation, they will just have to wait until when your Clients will make it available to the public (if they ever do it). Even as a fan of Google, I noticed the loop right away when I tried the tool, and I did not like it. How many thousands of translators will just not notice this?

(By the way, I found the EN>IT and NL>IT tool applications quite good, possibly the best, but still not practically usable for professional use).

Hellmut Kohlsdorf
Hellmut Kohlsdorf  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:59
German to Spanish
+ ...
Just my thinking about translating and the Internet Jan 18, 2010

I believe that all those different tools popping up int the Internet can be fitted into a translation workflow as a source for synonyms from which to choose.

I agree with what our friend from Mexico said. If you have tight confidentiality rules in a workflow as the result of confidentility requirements of our customers by no means should we put our TMs on anybodies website! I am so strict on this that I do never offer any references to customers or projects. A potential new customer
... See more
I believe that all those different tools popping up int the Internet can be fitted into a translation workflow as a source for synonyms from which to choose.

I agree with what our friend from Mexico said. If you have tight confidentiality rules in a workflow as the result of confidentility requirements of our customers by no means should we put our TMs on anybodies website! I am so strict on this that I do never offer any references to customers or projects. A potential new customer gets the offer to give me a sample document, 200-300 words, which I translate free of charge to allow him to judge my abilities.

I have worked on projects using the Lingotek tool for translating and reviewing. Here the customer is putting his files into this environment and I do work online. So there is no potential breach of confidentility involved as the whole environment was selected by the customer. But in this environment I would never upload my Tms or Terminology databases. I am working on refining my workflow to combine the use of my offline tools, i.e. Trados, with the online tool to speed up my translation work.

Finally I strongly believe that in the close future we will see CAT tools to include computer translation functionality in combination of our own TMs and Terminology databases as an added source to generate fuzzy proposal for segments in case the TM and terminology databases have nothing to offer.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Data sharing with Google Translator Toolkit

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »