Off topic: US Based Freelancers: So how do you feel about Freelancers Union?
Thread poster: langiolet
langiolet
langiolet
United States
Local time: 06:44
Dec 4, 2009

Thank you very much for your participation and feedback. We have edited the survey to include more information and clarification based on your comments and questions.

Here is some background on the Freelancers Union:
Freelancers Union is a nonprofit organization that represents the needs of the US independent workforce though advocacy, information, and service. It's free to join the Freelancers Union.

Independent workers make up 30% of the US nation’s workforc
... See more
Thank you very much for your participation and feedback. We have edited the survey to include more information and clarification based on your comments and questions.

Here is some background on the Freelancers Union:
Freelancers Union is a nonprofit organization that represents the needs of the US independent workforce though advocacy, information, and service. It's free to join the Freelancers Union.

Independent workers make up 30% of the US nation’s workforce. We are freelancers, consultants, independent contractors, temps, part-timers, contingent employees, and the self-employed. Despite our contribution to America’s economy, we’re often left out of the social safety net. Most freelancers can’t access affordable insurance, are taxed more than traditional employees, and have limited access to protections such as unemployment insurance, retirement plans, and unpaid wage claims.

That’s why Freelancers Union is writing new rules for the new workforce.

Benefits

By representing independent workers as a group, Freelancers Union can negotiate insurance rates and provide a social safety net. We already offer health insurance to freelancers in 31 states, and provide dental, life, and disability insurance nationwide. In 2009, we reached a major milestone in the creation of a model safety net for independent workers: we launched Freelancers Insurance Company and the Freelancers Retirement Plan.

Community & Service

We believe freelancers can help each other, so we provide platforms for networking, collaboration, and sharing knowledge. We also encourage ongoing education for our members, and sponsor nationwide seminars, workshops, and events. Freelancers Union has more than 120,000 members nationwide.

Advocacy

Freelancers Union is working to promote fairness for independent workers. We carry out unprecedented research on the independent workforce, then we educate policy makers on our group’s needs and lobby for change. Our social system is outdated, but we’ve proven that positive change is achievable. The problem is simply that there hasn’t been a movement to represent the needs of independent workers. Freelancers Union is that movement.

History

◦In 1995, Sara Horowitz, a former labor lawyer, founded Working Today to meet the needs of the growing independent workforce.
◦In 2001, Working Today launched the Portable Benefits Network (PBN), to deliver benefits to independent workers in New York City.
◦By 2003, the PBN was providing benefits to thousands of workers, and resources and advocacy nationwide. It was renamed Freelancers Union to better reflect its expanded vision.
◦In 2007, Freelancers Union received 501(c)4 status in order to better carry out its advocacy mission. Working Today continues to exist as a 501(c)3, doing research and policy work.
◦In 2008, Freelancers Union announces the creation of Freelancers Insurance Company, which they wholly own and which offers insurance only to their members in New York.
◦In 2009, Freelancers Retirement Plan is launched, offering the first 401(k) plan for freelancers with 1099 income.

So how do you feel about Freelancers Union? We want to know!
Please take a minute to give us some honest feedback so that we can make the kind of improvements that would be the most helpful to you:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YZVTP2L

[Edited at 2009-12-05 18:04 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:44
English to Czech
+ ...
Unions, associations etc. Dec 5, 2009

There are so many unions, associations, organisations etc., that one would only earn to pay all the membership fees. As for me, I'm not a member of any and I don't regret it.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
You should at the least include our industry Dec 5, 2009

The least you should do when asking a collective to answer a survey is include their industry in your list of choices, it is pretty bad that you send translators and interpreters a survey and don't include these industries in your list of choices.

So my opinion of your organization is that it is not very organized, lacks correct planning and forethought and should be more careful when it asks for someone's help.

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
Local time: 14:44
English to Russian
Poorly organized Dec 5, 2009

Alex Lago wrote:

The least you should do when asking a collective to answer a survey is include their industry in your list of choices, it is pretty bad that you send translators and interpreters a survey and don't include these industries in your list of choices.

To the said by Alex I would also add that you should first of all mention that your union is not international: it's only for the US...

So how I feel about YOUR Freelancers Union? That you are very poorly organized to initiate a thing like that...

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
In which category do translators fit? Dec 5, 2009

Alex Lago wrote:

Nothing to add.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What for? Dec 5, 2009

langiolet wrote:
So how do you feel about Freelancers Union? We want to know!

The Wikipedia article about trade unions list the following as possible reasons for having a trade union:

* Provision of benefits to members:
- insurance for unemployment
- insurance for ill health
- insurance for old age
- insurance for funeral expenses
- provision of professional training
- provision of legal advice
- provision of legal assistance
* Collective bargaining:
- negotiating with employers over wages
- negotiating with employers over working conditions
* Industrial action:
- enforce strikes
- resist lockouts
* Political activity:
- promote legislation favorable to the interests of [translators]
- pursue campaigns
- undertake lobbying
- financially support individual candidates or parties

Which of these did you have in mind?

Samuel

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not interested Dec 5, 2009

I'm quite capable of looking after myself, which is one of the reasons I chose to freelance.

How do I feel specifically about Freelancers Union? It's a waste of time, period.

[Edited at 2009-12-05 15:32 GMT]

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I´m actually glad to see your posting, Langiolet Dec 5, 2009

I have visited the union´s website and I´m pretty sure that many of my US-based friends working on a contractual/freelance basis (graphic designers, nurses, etc.) will be happy to join! One of my friends who is a nurse has been looking for group insurance plans for nurses for quite some time. Unfortunately she found no reasonably priced plans for her state.

Since the membership is free, there is really nothing to lose and, it seems to me, a lot to gain. I had no idea the union ex
... See more
I have visited the union´s website and I´m pretty sure that many of my US-based friends working on a contractual/freelance basis (graphic designers, nurses, etc.) will be happy to join! One of my friends who is a nurse has been looking for group insurance plans for nurses for quite some time. Unfortunately she found no reasonably priced plans for her state.

Since the membership is free, there is really nothing to lose and, it seems to me, a lot to gain. I had no idea the union existed and so I am glad you posted here. Keep up the good work! I do hope more people will join so you can offer more and better benefits.

[Edited at 2009-12-05 21:40 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some questions for US freelancers and the original poster Dec 5, 2009

langiolet wrote:
By representing independent workers as a group, Freelancers Union can negotiate insurance rates and provide a social safety net. We already offer health insurance to freelancers in 31 states, and provide dental, life, and disability insurance nationwide.

I'm not a US freelancer, but I have these questions (and I hope they are not against the ProZ.com forum rules):

I see you offer three health insurance plans, with monthly premiums of USD 1400, USD 1000 and USD 800 (I assume this excludes dental treatment, which would be USD 150 extra). How do these rates compare with other rates that freelancers might get if they try to get health insurance on their own? Wow, if freelance translators have to cough up USD 1550 per month just for medical insurance, then I can begin to understand why some of them complain about low rates.

http://www.freelancersunion.org/insurance/explore/12345/health2010/

I downloaded the booklet for your life insurance product, and it states that the product is only available for employees, and that the product terminates when you lose your job. Are you sure this is a product for freelancers?

http://www.freelancersunion.org/insurance/explore/12345/termlife2010/

I've also had a look at the disability insurance, for which you have to prove that you have an annual salary of a certain amount to qualify for a certain amount of coverage (and the maximum you can get coverage for is roughly half your monthly salary). How would a freelancer get this type of insurance?

http://www.freelancersunion.org/insurance/explore/12345/disability2010/

We carry out unprecedented research on the independent workforce, then we educate policy makers on our group’s needs and lobby for change.

Where can one get information about what research was done by the Freelancers Union (or sponsored by them, or participated in) and what efforts were made to educate policy makers?

[Edited at 2009-12-05 19:45 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
IMO Dec 5, 2009

The least you should do when asking a collective to answer a survey is include their industry in your list of choices

Alex, isn't 'Translation' what you want? Or you prefer some 'Information service'?

I agree that depending on your range of services quite many US colleagues would be interested, though most people I know are private entrepreneurs.

IMO you'd rather set up a company and accept members fee or royalties to insure jobs payment (taking care of non-paying clients). As a rule it's much easier for a legal entity with good lawyers)

How I wish there were one when I was a freelancer...

Cheers

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Health insurance premiums Dec 5, 2009

Samuel,

Health insurance coverage is pretty expensive in the US, although some of the premiums seem to be much lower "for current enrollees in Freelancers Insurance Company (FIC) plans" than the numbers you quote ($1400, $1000, $800), if we are talking about coverage for one individual (freelancer):

2009 premiums
PPO 1 $460/mo (member)
PPO 2 $320/mo (member)
PPO 3 $235/mo (member)

2010 premiums
PPO 1 $497/mo (member)
PPO 2 $38
... See more
Samuel,

Health insurance coverage is pretty expensive in the US, although some of the premiums seem to be much lower "for current enrollees in Freelancers Insurance Company (FIC) plans" than the numbers you quote ($1400, $1000, $800), if we are talking about coverage for one individual (freelancer):

2009 premiums
PPO 1 $460/mo (member)
PPO 2 $320/mo (member)
PPO 3 $235/mo (member)

2010 premiums
PPO 1 $497/mo (member)
PPO 2 $381/mo (member)
PPO 3 $285/mo (member)

Family premiums are much higher. Dental and vision (in the US) are usually offered under separate insurance plans.

I found the above rates at:
http://www.freelancersunion.org/faqs/openenrollment.html

Of course, other options offered may be much more expensive; I haven't had the time to check them all.

[Edited at 2009-12-06 02:03 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I've been planning to join! Dec 5, 2009

TranslateThis wrote:

Samuel,

Health insurance coverage is pretty expensive in the US, although some of the premiums seem to be much lower "for current enrollees in Freelancers Insurance Company (FIC) plans" than the numbers you quote ($1400, $1000, $800), if we are talking about a single person (freelancer):

2009 premiums
PPO 1 $460/mo (member)
PPO 2 $320/mo (member)
PPO 3 $235/mo (member)

2010 premiums
PPO 1 $497/mo (member)
PPO 2 $381/mo (member)
PPO 3 $285/mo (member)

Family premiums are much higher. Dental and vision are normally offered as separate insurance plans.

http://www.freelancersunion.org/faqs/openenrollment.html

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS INFO, TRANSLATE THIS! Those premiums look very attractive to me.

I apologize for our US-centric evil ways. I'm so often SO embarrassed by the things Americans do and say. So those who were invited to take the survey and who live outside the US, you, of course, were right to feel riled.

To the person who mentioned fees, I took the survey, and it costs nothing to join.

To the people who were grousing about not being listed as group served, I don't understand: translator is an option to choose in the list.

I heard wonderful things about the Freelancers Union on the NewsHour (a public broadcasting nightly news show). The main reason I haven't joined is (a) lack of time to do research on the health care plans, and (b) I'm waiting to see what happens after health care reform passes.

Patricia

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 07:44
Russian to English
+ ...
Totally useless Dec 6, 2009

That is for me, of course - I am sure, it must have plenty of uses for the folks who started this whole shebang. I once looked at the health insurance rates they offer, I must admit. The issue of how they compare to similar plans outside this union thingy is moot: I still can't afford them, and don't know anyone in my position who could. As to representing my interests and other blabla, thanks, but no thanks. I am doing fine all on my own.

[Edited at 2009-12-06 00:32 GMT]

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
Local time: 14:44
English to Russian
Explanation Dec 6, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I apologize for our US-centric evil ways. I'm so often SO embarrassed by the things Americans do and say. So those who were invited to take the survey and who live outside the US, you, of course, were right to feel riled.

To the people who were grousing about not being listed as group served, I don't understand: translator is an option to choose in the list.

Patricia,

If you don't understand I can explain: both the title of this thread and the survey options have been edited at a later stage.

- The original title of this thread was 'So how do you feel about Freelancers Union?'
- There was no option called 'Translation' in the survey at the beginning.

Somebody has edited both the thread title and survey options but for some reason forgotten to mention it here...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US Based Freelancers: So how do you feel about Freelancers Union?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »