Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Can one make money reviewing translations?
Thread poster: David Miller (X)
David Miller (X)
David Miller (X)
Switzerland
Local time: 04:53
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two monitors good idea Feb 13, 2015

The two monitors is a neat idea. I have envied the financial types and their huge amounts of "electronic real estate". In the case of XLS files, I have to work at least at 200%. PPT files also need generous space.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:53
Russian to English
+ ...
I agree with Tom—not easily. Feb 14, 2015

You have to be a very experienced translator to do editing, charge reasonable rates (not too low) and learn the principles of editing, first of all. You cannot just keep changing things because you would say something in a better way, in your opinion. This is illegal, not only unethical. Translation belongs to the translator, in terms of copy rights, and you can only suggest the essential changes, but the translator has to accept them. So, often the text will go back and forth.

[Edited a
... See more
You have to be a very experienced translator to do editing, charge reasonable rates (not too low) and learn the principles of editing, first of all. You cannot just keep changing things because you would say something in a better way, in your opinion. This is illegal, not only unethical. Translation belongs to the translator, in terms of copy rights, and you can only suggest the essential changes, but the translator has to accept them. So, often the text will go back and forth.

[Edited at 2015-02-14 09:16 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Print version Feb 14, 2015

I work with two monitors on translation jobs, but do not really like it for proofreading. I often prefer a print version of the source text then...

[Modifié le 2015-02-14 09:53 GMT]

David Miller (X)
David Miller (X)
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only France protects translator copyright Feb 15, 2015

... See more

As most agency and client contracts mention surrender of copyright if you want the job, I was fascinated that France passed legislation a couple of years ago making it unlawful for a writer or translator to have to surrender his/her copyright in order to get work. My advice is to keep note of all the projects you do in whatever country just in case retrospective copyright protection might be introduced in some enlightened countries. In my own case, when an agency did not pay up, I contacted the agency's client emphasising that the copyright remained mine as the agency had breached the contract... Fortunately I have legal insurance in France and it is up to the lawyer to handle it now.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translation DOESN'T belong to the translator. Feb 15, 2015

LilianNekipelov wrote:
Translation belongs to the translator, in terms of copy rights, and you can only suggest the essential changes, but the translator has to accept them. So, often the text will go back and forth.

Translation DOESN'T belong to the translator. It belongs to the owner of the source text.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
a waste of time for everybody Feb 15, 2015

LilianNekipelov wrote:
but the translator has to accept them. So, often the text will go back and forth.

I think this practice could lead to a waste of time for everybody. I often told my agency not to send me the changes made by their proofreaders for me to accept or reject. I told them: you should hire the right proofreader and you have to trust him or her and accept his or her changes as final. And if I have to review their changes, it has to be considered as an extra task.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:53
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Should be like this Feb 15, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

I think this practice could lead to a waste of time for everybody. I often told my agency not to send me the changes made by their proofreaders for me to accept or reject. I told them: you should hire the right proofreader and you have to trust him or her and accept his or her changes as final. And if I have to review their changes, it has to be considered as an extra task.

Like this, I have lost a good client. I loved that agency but constantly checking my checker's work?? At a certain point, I was overhelming with inner discomfort with such practice. I didn't ask for extra pay, though maybe I should have asked, for indeed it would take a lot of extra time. But mostly, it just didn't make sense to me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can one make money reviewing translations?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »