Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Did anybody have this: I have to justify my proofreading.
Thread poster: Serge Driamov
Serge Driamov
Serge Driamov  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 22:35
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very helpful, indeed Aug 18, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:

All the best!

[Edited at 2009-08-18 15:44 GMT]

Hi ViktoriaG,

Thank you very much for the detailed and clear advice. Indeed, I am concerned about communicating the agency, which is my important client, in a proper way, avoiding being rude and letting them know the truth at the same time.

Serge Driamov
Belarus
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Boeing 737 is a good example:) Aug 18, 2009

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:

Can you send a letter to Boeing telling them "your 737 is not good but I'm not telling you why"... ? No, you can't.

Yes, you have to justify at least the most frequent changes you made. Without justification it has no value, it's just an opinion. You can't just say "this is how we say it in my village".

If you want to make it easy for yourself, you could

a) provide some reference from similar publications on at least 4-5 issues in the text
b) explain why this and that expressions had to be changed (at least 5 examples, if not 10)
c) instruct the agency to also hire a third editor to take a look.

Professional work = Documented and Justified.

Thank you Eleftherios,
in my case even one example (not 5 or 10) will be enough, so I see that demands of the agency are not too high.:)

[Edited at 2009-08-19 11:32 GMT]

Serge Driamov
Belarus
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I decided not to do it Aug 19, 2009

irina savescu wrote:

YES. and then prepare for a tornado of angry emails if he or she actually IS a native speaker.

[Edited at 2009-08-18 02:57 GMT]

Thanks a lot Irina.
I decided that so far I could tolerate it.
Regarding native speakers living abroad: I have been in this situation myself. After staying several years in Western Europe I realized that my Russian vocabulary has declined. Imagine what happens to people living in another linguistic environment for decades. If most of their environment (human contact, reading, watching TV) is not in their native language and if they have not been working as language professionals during all these years translating regularly they loose the skill slowly. The everyday colloquial language stays with them longer but the language of even slightly specialized topics can go away.
This means that my task of proving the translator for nativity may be more difficult. Perhaps, this person initially has been a real native speaker but how to convince the agency that this is not the case any more?:)

Travelin Ann
Travelin Ann  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
French to English
+ ...
Comments feature also available in Excel Aug 22, 2009

France-Japon wrote:

When I do proofreading of Excel files, I create one column to explain the mistake category (quite similar to those listed by Johanna). If you choose key words which all start by a different letter, you don't need to type them every single time, they pop in as soon as you type the first letter.

It helps the client who might not understand the language to know if this is a big (omission, misunderstanding) or smaller (spelling, style) mistake.

By having different proofreaders check the work of one translator on different projects, the agency can grasp the actual level of this translator in a more objective way.

The "comments" feature mentioned discussing Word is also available in Excel, and allows the spreadsheet to remain in original format.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did anybody have this: I have to justify my proofreading.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »