Kerati Kuaimongkol
Kerati Kuaimongkol  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:33
Member (2007)
English to Thai
Oct 24, 2008

Dear friends,

I was asked to take a test by an agency (From the source to my own language). They give me a TM for the test. I found that the translation in TM is very bad.

So I think I should do my translation in the style that it should be plus it is a test, because I think that the translation is for consideration only (not for use).

But the result is turn to be, according to the proofreader (who I guess the one whose the translation in TM belonged to), m
... See more
Dear friends,

I was asked to take a test by an agency (From the source to my own language). They give me a TM for the test. I found that the translation in TM is very bad.

So I think I should do my translation in the style that it should be plus it is a test, because I think that the translation is for consideration only (not for use).

But the result is turn to be, according to the proofreader (who I guess the one whose the translation in TM belonged to), my translation is not consist to the TM.

In this case, if you were me, what you gonna do?

1. Just do the translation as TM, even the word choosing, the flow, and style is very bad.
2. Do it in your style which is better (without bias).

Now I decide to ignore this agency because I don't want to criticize the other translator work.

Thank you for your time. Have a good day!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:33
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
what I would do... Oct 24, 2008

...Now I decide to ignore this agency because I don't want to criticize the other translator work...

Having a bad TM serves neither the agency nor the final customer. To improve it would be a sign of positive approach ("what can I do for them?") and much less a critique - well, also, but as a second or even third (g) thought.

You could first translate with the TM - lets assume there's 50% segments one can pretranslate - and translate the rest. This would be exhibit #1 for the agency ("see, I know how to use your TM"). Then you could go back and edit the material - those first 50% which need some improvement - to get the exhibit #2 ("I think your TM would need some polish").

I am sure this would make a positive impression on the agent.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Improve the text and explain what you did Oct 24, 2008

I generally agree with Vito. Also, if the issues in the memory are grammar, spelling or terminology issues you can easily prove to be wrong with links and references to official language rules, you might want to:

1. BEFORE STARTING: Warn the agency about the bad state of the memory, giving them some examples.

2. While you translate, correct any issues you find, but keep track of a bunch of them, the most important dozen issues or so, documenting why they are wrong with
... See more
I generally agree with Vito. Also, if the issues in the memory are grammar, spelling or terminology issues you can easily prove to be wrong with links and references to official language rules, you might want to:

1. BEFORE STARTING: Warn the agency about the bad state of the memory, giving them some examples.

2. While you translate, correct any issues you find, but keep track of a bunch of them, the most important dozen issues or so, documenting why they are wrong with reputable sources and links to web examples. Send that list along with the translation test.
Collapse

Kerati Kuaimongkol
Kerati Kuaimongkol  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:33
Member (2007)
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your good comment. Oct 24, 2008

Thank you for the solution.

Have a good day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation test with the given TM.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »