Tagapagpost sa thread: ProZ.com Staff
Power Translate
Power Translate  Identity Verified
Alemanya
Local time: 00:38
Ingles papuntang Aleman
+ ...
Of course Apr 8, 2011

I named my desktop PC after a friend, who is not only a fantastic looking guy but also a total geek. That way, I thought, my computer is less likely to play up. My laptop is named after one of my favourite actors.

Alanna
Alanna
Pransya
French papuntang Aleman
+ ...
Counting the puters Apr 8, 2011

A friend once saved my (now ex) desktop, and whiel reinstallign something said "Come on, Marcel!" He promptly became the PC's godfather.
When I had to trade in marcel, his replacement was Marcellino.
Hubby kept Marcel for something or other (my files were wiped clear so I didn't care) and since he has not only a laptop at home and a laptop at work that he brings home occasionally, the day my little notebook (11" screen) arrived, we had five computers at home. Its brand logo is (or lo
... See more
A friend once saved my (now ex) desktop, and whiel reinstallign something said "Come on, Marcel!" He promptly became the PC's godfather.
When I had to trade in marcel, his replacement was Marcellino.
Hubby kept Marcel for something or other (my files were wiped clear so I didn't care) and since he has not only a laptop at home and a laptop at work that he brings home occasionally, the day my little notebook (11" screen) arrived, we had five computers at home. Its brand logo is (or looks like) the letter Q, so he became Quintus. I actually have to remember saying "that's my my notebook" whenI refer to him with other people
Collapse

Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Alemanya
Kasapi (2005)
Ingles papuntang Aleman
+ ...
Mother Apr 11, 2011

My last one asked for a name sometime during initial configuration so it was called Mother after the ship's computer in Alien. I don't use the name in "conversation" though.

784512 (X)
784512 (X)
Alemanya
Aleman papuntang Ingles
+ ...
Do women name their computers more often? Apr 19, 2011

I only just spotted this poll and post, a bit late...

I think someone tried to point this to me after reading the post on my translation blog entitled "Computers for translators".

In that you will see I name all of my computers. All their names begin with Al because my first computer, Albert, was given the name I would have had had I been born a boy, and I kept the th
... See more
I only just spotted this poll and post, a bit late...

I think someone tried to point this to me after reading the post on my translation blog entitled "Computers for translators".

In that you will see I name all of my computers. All their names begin with Al because my first computer, Albert, was given the name I would have had had I been born a boy, and I kept the theme going.

Currently I have my home-built desktop, named Alex.

My laptop, named Alexander.

And my netbook, named Algernon.

Algernon is quite a good netbook and I like how he works as a knee-top computer. I probably use him most often these days, as, with the upgraded RAM, he can do most things. Alex is good for more complex tasks, and Alexander for when I need portability on a bigger screen.

I also used to name external hard drives, but do not really use them often now.

Reading back over the posts, it seems it is more the women that name their computers... I don't think it is because we are cutesifying the complicated electrical things, either, since it seems I am far from the only girl geek in the room...

I think my computers deserve names. They are my babies. I made Alex from parts, have opened up and repaired Alexander, and upgraded Algernon. They deserve it.
Collapse

Komeil Zamani Babgohari
Komeil Zamani Babgohari  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 02:08
Ingles papuntang Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Yes Apr 23, 2011

my wife and I chose a mixture of our first names for our PC and Lap
KoMo is the name of our devices

Mga pahina sa paksa:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Mga moderator ng forum na ito
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you named your computer(s)? Please share

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »