Certification of police checks (Belgium and France to USA)
Thread poster: Emiliana Sarra
Emiliana Sarra
Emiliana Sarra
France
Local time: 14:45
French to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2022

Hi everyone! After researching and studying the area at university, I am wanting to begin providing certified translations. I have been approached for my first job, and had some questions.

I am based in France. My client wishes to send Belgian and French criminal police checks to the US for their green card. The US authorities have asked for a translation of those documents, stating:

"Please note that all documents not written in English, or in the official language of
... See more
Hi everyone! After researching and studying the area at university, I am wanting to begin providing certified translations. I have been approached for my first job, and had some questions.

I am based in France. My client wishes to send Belgian and French criminal police checks to the US for their green card. The US authorities have asked for a translation of those documents, stating:

"Please note that all documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country from which you are applying, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that:
-The translation is accurate, and
-The translator is competent to translate."

My first question is: I therefore do not need to be a sworn translator, as we follow what is required by the target country authorities and instructions, correct? If I were to follow France's instructions, I assume I would need to be a sworn translator, I assume. However, they are not asking for this here.

My second question: Do I need a notarised signature, or is it sufficient to provide my own certification of accuracy (stating that I, with such and such experience, believe to have translated the following documents from X to Y accurately... )
The following link I found seemed to imply a notarised signature is a compulsory part of the certificate:
https://atasavvynewcomer.org/2016/09/06/what-is-a-certified-translation/

It is something I have found difficult to get my head around before officially making the move into providing certified translations, and therefore would like to know if anyone can confirm I have understood correctly?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Certification Nov 16, 2022

The U.S. has no "sworn translator" category. For immigration documents I sign a statement that I am bilingual and that the translation is accurate to the best of my knowledge and belief. (I also list my university degrees.)

I have done dozens of these, always getting my signature notarized. In the state I live in, notarizing is a free service, so I'd just charge my client for the time it took to go to the town clerk and get it done.

Recently, someone who works profess
... See more
The U.S. has no "sworn translator" category. For immigration documents I sign a statement that I am bilingual and that the translation is accurate to the best of my knowledge and belief. (I also list my university degrees.)

I have done dozens of these, always getting my signature notarized. In the state I live in, notarizing is a free service, so I'd just charge my client for the time it took to go to the town clerk and get it done.

Recently, someone who works professionally helping refugees fill out their U.S. asylum-seeker forms told me there was no need to even notarize them! So most recently I simply attached the signed paper document to the translation with no notarization. This saved the client some money, and me some time.

It seems a little strange, right?
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Certification Nov 16, 2022

I regularly go to my local bank (Bank of America) for notarizations which are free. I have a separate certification document which I have drawn up which I provide to my clients. So far everyone is happy. I don't charge for the notarizations as these are for law firms which are giving me considerable volumes of business.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Emiliana Sarra
Emiliana Sarra
France
Local time: 14:45
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you + reply from client Nov 17, 2022

Hi both,

Thank you very much for your replies! That is really useful to get your experiences and also know what you write in your certification.

The client came back to me saying that from what she understands, there is no need for a notarised signature either. So we'll proceed that way - thanks again!

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Hi Emiliana, Nov 19, 2022

Emiliana Sarra wrote:

Hi both,

Thank you very much for your replies! That is really useful to get your experiences and also know what you write in your certification.

The client came back to me saying that from what she understands, there is no need for a notarised signature either. So we'll proceed that way - thanks again!

Make sure that they don't need the criminal report with an Apostille (Apostille - Convention de La Haye, 5 Octobre 1961) (1961 Hague Convention).

Some courts might require it, although most of the Immigration Courts (EOIR) don't.

Best,
Lee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification of police checks (Belgium and France to USA)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »