Any tips for finding clients including translation agencies as a [KR, CN, EN] Patent translator?
Thread poster: Sherry Lee
Sherry Lee
Sherry Lee
China
Korean to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 28, 2023

Here’s a quick summary of my credentials.
Experienced Korean/Chinese/English translator.
Specific experience in patent/technical translation for 5 years.
CAT tool: SDL Trados 2019.
I am looking for more clients in my field, do you have any crucial advice?

Thank you.

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:36
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Start with your profile Mar 28, 2023

I'm also working in patents (Japanese/English to German), and nearly all of my clients have found me on this site. Patent translators seem to be in high demand and agencies actively search for them on ProZ.
My best advice therefore would be to flesh out your profile - it is really worth the effort.

Sherry Lee

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:36
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Some tips Mar 28, 2023

1. Join translation associations
    Joining professional associations for translators such as the American Translators Association (ATA), International Federation of Translators (FIT), Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL), Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), European Society for Translation Studies (EST), International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters (IAPTI), Canadian Association of Translation Studies (CATS), Australian Institute of Inte... See more

1. Join translation associations
    Joining professional associations for translators such as the American Translators Association (ATA), International Federation of Translators (FIT), Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL), Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), European Society for Translation Studies (EST), International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters (IAPTI), Canadian Association of Translation Studies (CATS), Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators (AUSIT) can help you network with other translators and potentially find clients. These associations often have directories of members that clients can access to find translators.

2. Utilize online directories and update your profiles
    Online directories such as this one or TranslatorsCafé, or LinkedIn can be a great way to showcase your skills and find potential clients. Make sure your profile is complete and up-to-date and includes your experience, areas of expertise, and contact information.

3. Attend offline and online translation conferences
    Attending translation conferences can be a great way to network with other translators and meet potential clients.

4. Contact translation agencies directly
    There are many translation agencies that specialize in patent and technical translation. You can find these agencies online and contact them directly to inquire about potential job opportunities.

5. Utilize social media
    Social media platforms such as Twitter or Facebook can be a great way to connect with other translators and potential clients. Consider sharing your expertise and knowledge in patent and technical translation through blog posts or tweets to demonstrate your skills.

6. Reach out to patent law firms
    Patent law firms often require translation services for patent applications and filings. Reach out to local law firms and introduce yourself as a translator who specializes in patent and technical translation.

7. Utilize your existing network
    Let the people know that you are a patent and technical translator. They are your friends, family, and colleagues who may know someone who needs your services. Consider sending out an email or a LinkedIn message to let people know that you are available for work.

Collapse

Sherry Lee
Feisal Mohamed

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:36
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Out of the box Mar 28, 2023

If you consider some patent search in your free time, I would suggest checking Article One Partners as well. It's not a translation gig, they do patent and technical document search. I did some gigs with them. It might be rewarding.

https://app.articleonepartners.com

Sherry Lee
Sherry Lee
China
Korean to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 30, 2023

I appreciate your comment, Nadja Balogh, very much.
Thank you for your response, Andriy Yasharov.
Thank you, Sarper Aman.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any tips for finding clients including translation agencies as a [KR, CN, EN] Patent translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »