NGO's marketing
Thread poster: JuliaR
JuliaR
JuliaR
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2003

Hi, I'm back but...
I'm not stablished yet, I'm getting desperate, but I know I have to be VERY VERY patient. I've notice that most of you experts strongly recommend to offer our service as translators to NGO's, but I don't know exactly how to do it. I've thought of sending a letter of introduction, but not my resume. I don't know if that would be a job for free or I can ask for a little payment.
I can't think of a lot of NGO's that may require a translator's job, so... any clues?
... See more
Hi, I'm back but...
I'm not stablished yet, I'm getting desperate, but I know I have to be VERY VERY patient. I've notice that most of you experts strongly recommend to offer our service as translators to NGO's, but I don't know exactly how to do it. I've thought of sending a letter of introduction, but not my resume. I don't know if that would be a job for free or I can ask for a little payment.
I can't think of a lot of NGO's that may require a translator's job, so... any clues? ;D
I need your advice please.

cheers, Julia
Collapse

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:52
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
How about environmental organisations? Sep 18, 2003

Hi Julia,

WWF and Greenpeace came immediately to mind, because I remember seeing requests for translations in their subscribers' magazines in Greece, so I suppose that there would be such a need in Spain, too. Don't expect to be paid though, as they see this as a voluntary service - as most NGOs. But maybe that would be a good start for you and you could quote it as experience in your CV later on. It wouldn't be too technical to start with and it can be quite interesting. You could
... See more
Hi Julia,

WWF and Greenpeace came immediately to mind, because I remember seeing requests for translations in their subscribers' magazines in Greece, so I suppose that there would be such a need in Spain, too. Don't expect to be paid though, as they see this as a voluntary service - as most NGOs. But maybe that would be a good start for you and you could quote it as experience in your CV later on. It wouldn't be too technical to start with and it can be quite interesting. You could contact their local offices in Spain.

HTH
Collapse

JuliaR
JuliaR
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I'll try Sep 20, 2003

Ok,thank you.
I suscribed to yahoo groups long ago but the most interesting jobs are in a language pair different from mine.
As for environmental organizations, I'll try the ones Daphne suggested. I'll send them a letter offering me as a translator and will send my CV just in case they ask for it, is that right?

if there are any other thigs you consider I should know, please let me know...

cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NGO's marketing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »