Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is it usual to invoice a client after doing a translation job?
Thread poster: Catherine Norton
Catherine Norton
Catherine Norton
Local time: 14:45
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Invoicing a client Aug 28, 2003

Thanks to you all for all your comments, hints and advice! I very much appreciate being able to learn from your experience.

To Ruben Berrozpe: Yes, I am using Appleworks, and I was told that this Appleworks program could easily save my texts in either Word or Word Perfect.

The only information I got from the many Mac are
... See more
Thanks to you all for all your comments, hints and advice! I very much appreciate being able to learn from your experience.

To Ruben Berrozpe: Yes, I am using Appleworks, and I was told that this Appleworks program could easily save my texts in either Word or Word Perfect.

The only information I got from the many Mac areas I queried was:

Http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88150&sessionID=anonymous

this resulted in my printing the paper #88150 which purports to tell the Mac owner how to fix this problem. However, when I tried to summon Sherlock to start the procedures, I was told that my version of Sherlock was not going to run on OS X. (This was the version of Sherlock that was supplied to me with the rest of the software on my machine.

Also, the instructions are unclear in other matters so I was unable to follow them.

Thanks for your interest, Ruben, but I don't think the problem is solvable until they get the bugs out of the system.

I guess I'll have to investigate buying Word.

Thanks again everyone!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mac can be a problem Aug 28, 2003

Of course many have no problems but I know people, who use macs and are unable to read PC-word files properly, even if saved in MacWord format. One customer does all layout work with macs, but usually they send pdf-files and fax for corrections to avoid all software problems.
One sure way of file exchange I once used for a Mac client was publishing the text as html, so she could copy and past the text from the screen into a macword file.

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
German to Italian
+ ...
Rich Text Format Aug 28, 2003

Hi, I use both iMac and PC, but I only have AppleWorks, not Word for Mac. When I have to send MS-Word files to a publisher working with Mac, I save them as .rtf files, and I've never had any kind of problem. Good luck!

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Word Mac-PC: the same file format since Word 97 Aug 28, 2003

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Of course many have no problems but I know people, who use macs and are unable to read PC-word files properly, even if saved in MacWord format.

How could it be a problem since there is no more mac-specific Word-File format??? My customers, for example, don\'t have to save in a \"MacWord-Format\" because they even don\'t know I\'m on a Mac!!
Once again: if you have a rather actual version of Word, you won\'t have any problems with exchanging files between Windows and Mac! (it\'s the same rule on the PC-side: you won\'t open an Office 2003 document with Word 2.0 for Windows installed on your PC!)

One customer does all layout work with macs, but usually they send pdf-files and fax for corrections to avoid all software problems.

DTP is a different field and Word is not a layout-software.
If your customers work with XPress, InDesign, FrameMaker or RagTime, they may have pretty good reasons to send PDFs for correction purposes! I would do the same...

One sure way of file exchange I once used for a Mac client was publishing the text as html, so she could copy and past the text from the screen into a macword file.

????!????!????
Which version of Word did your \"mac client\" use? It really sounds like a joke!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
MacTrouble Aug 28, 2003

Catherine,

If you don't find answers to your Mac queries here on Proz, try LantraMUG, the Mac users' group for translators:

groups.yahoo.com/group/LantraMUG

If MS Word or Office are too expensive, consider OpenOffice.org (the name of the product is also the name of the web site). It has very good conversion filters for MS Office, and a Beta version is now available for Mac OS X.

HTH,
Marc

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
Mac is not a problem Aug 28, 2003

as long as you realize 90% of the market is on Windows So if you use a Mac, that's cool (stability, ease of uses, no viruses, etc.) but you can't ignore how most people work.

I think a PC user can definitely ignore everything about Macs, but a Mac user still need to be PC litterate.

In most cases where colleagues work on Mac and send me files to my PC, I do not have a problem. But they know what to do.... See more
as long as you realize 90% of the market is on Windows So if you use a Mac, that's cool (stability, ease of uses, no viruses, etc.) but you can't ignore how most people work.

I think a PC user can definitely ignore everything about Macs, but a Mac user still need to be PC litterate.

In most cases where colleagues work on Mac and send me files to my PC, I do not have a problem. But they know what to do.

After all it's a question of knowing the tool you use and buying Word, is like a MUST nowadays.

My 2 cents.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it usual to invoice a client after doing a translation job?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »