Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:04
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Andrey, did you ever ... May 30, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Despite decades of immersion into Western culture, it seems I still cannot quite comprehend the public's unconditional love for their mascots.

... consider to come out here with a profile photo (again), but this time with sun glasses? Or the sun glasses only?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Никак не разберусь May 30, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Perhaps you're right.

Despite decades of immersion into Western culture, it seems I still cannot quite comprehend the public's unconditional love for their mascots.

I was born a Westerner for my sins, and I don't get it either.

Adieu

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
AFAYK May 30, 2021

As far as you know, they haven't stolen your identity? As far as you know? How do we know they haven't already stolen it? How do we even know this is the real Adieu posting here? This thieving fiend could be using Adieu's identity as we speak. He could be anywhere, anywhere at all, quietly sipping a Martini with a gaggle of beauties in a Prague wine bar, suavely introducing his fake self to the CEO of a Portuguese conglomerate, gliding across the waves on Bondi Beach, grimly sweating amid the du... See more
As far as you know, they haven't stolen your identity? As far as you know? How do we know they haven't already stolen it? How do we even know this is the real Adieu posting here? This thieving fiend could be using Adieu's identity as we speak. He could be anywhere, anywhere at all, quietly sipping a Martini with a gaggle of beauties in a Prague wine bar, suavely introducing his fake self to the CEO of a Portuguese conglomerate, gliding across the waves on Bondi Beach, grimly sweating amid the dust and cow pats as he rounds up cattle on the Argentine pampa, rushing to light the cigarette of a mysterious woman in a black pillbox hat in Red Square as she thoughtfully contemplates Saint Baz ... the list is endless. Is anyone safe?

Will the real Adieu please stand up? Can you prove who you really are? Can any of us? Who are we? Are we who we say we are?

[Edited at 2021-05-31 04:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-31 04:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-31 12:39 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
You've got yourself a whole new novel there, Mervyn May 31, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

As far as you know, they haven't stolen your identity? As far as you know? How do we know they haven't already stolen it? How do we even know this is the real Adieu posting here? This thieving fiend could be using Adieu's identity as we speak. He could be anywhere, anywhere at all, quietly sipping a Martini with a gaggle of beauties in a Prague wine bar, suavely introducing his fake self to the CEO of a Portuguese conglomerate, gliding across the waves on Bondi Beach, grimly sweating amid the dust as he rounds up cattle on the Argentine pampa, rushing to light the cigarette of a mysterious woman in a black pillbox hat in Red Square as she thoughtfully contemplates St Peter and Paul ... the list is endless. Is anyone safe?

Will the real Adieu please stand up? Can you prove who you really are? Can any of us? Who are we? Are we who we say we are?

One that I'd love to read. And you do look good in a philosopher's hat, baby.

Pedant's corner: your mysterious woman in a black pillbox hat in Red Square would thoughtfully contemplates St Basil. For St Peter and Paul, she'd move her mysterious self up North, on the banks of the Neva River, to St Petersburg (the clue's in the name).
It's uncanny: I was going to set my mysterious woman's new adventures in Leningrad (as it still was called in the 80s). You longsighted visionary, you.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As if May 31, 2021

Alas, just drinking Arrogant Bastard (that's an American ale, not an insult) in the garage

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

As far as you know, they haven't stolen your identity? As far as you know? How do we know they haven't already stolen it? How do we even know this is the real Adieu posting here? This thieving fiend could be using Adieu's identity as we speak. He could be anywhere, anywhere at all, quietly sipping a Martini with a gaggle of beauties in a Prague wine bar, suavely introducing his fake self to the CEO of a Portuguese conglomerate, gliding across the waves on Bondi Beach, grimly sweating amid the dust as he rounds up cattle on the Argentine pampa, rushing to light the cigarette of a mysterious woman in a black pillbox hat in Red Square as she thoughtfully contemplates Saint Baz ... the list is endless. Is anyone safe?

[Edited at 2021-05-31 04:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-31 04:39 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Isn't it ... May 31, 2021

... a bit early in the day for an Arrogant Bastard?

Or maybe that's exactly what you thought yourself when you saw what I'd written? ...

That's mirth, not an insult.

[Edited at 2021-05-31 08:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-31 10:13 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Is that a sign of ... May 31, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Alas, just drinking Arrogant Bastard (that's an American ale, not an insult) in the garage

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... humour you begin to show to us? You can turn it off at any time, now, that your posts get the first agrees. If not, the next lesson would be "How to say 'Thank you', 'Sorry' and 'Please'"
You know to whom you have to say "Sorry" to, Mr. Dyumaev? The list grows, just begin with the first one*, please. Thank you.
* One hidden hint: It's a lady. I know how true Russians honour true ladies. I know you can do that too.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Agree with my experience May 31, 2021

Recently, I work at home and feel really lazy to catch up daily routine as before. All I think is how far is Friday. The remote office really brings us lots of difficulties, such as the lack of technical support, delay of response from colleagues and more complicated process for dealing with daily stuff. Hope there is no more lockdown and no more work-at-home.

Adieu wrote:

Anybody else notice how "real" client business hours (new jobs, email responses, etc.) seem to slowly be narrowing to Tueday-Wednesday-Thursday, with some occasional frantic activity near midnight local time on Fridays?

Seems like remote office drones are getting a bit too lazy

Adieu

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah May 31, 2021

It's a chivalrous defender of ....fair maidens?

Good to know this middle-aged adult firmly believes he is desperately seeking conflict with a random faceless internet user not for the lulz, but with a higher purpose in mind.

Sadek_A

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You aren't ... May 31, 2021

Adieu wrote:

he is desperately seeking conflict with a random faceless internet user

... faceless, Andrey Dyumaev. Do you need proof here, in this thread? Or should we leave that to the readers, who can google this by themselves?

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Faceless May 31, 2021

Just a minute ... they stole your face? Curiouserer and curiouserer. This is dreadful. Is nothing sacred? So how does that work out for you down the supermarket, for instance?

[Edited at 2021-05-31 10:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-31 10:49 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach

Amanda Rocha
Amanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Don't Agree Jul 21, 2021

Actually, I feel like I'm living at work, not working at home. And my boss too :')

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting a sense that most offices that went remote have gotten lazy AF

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »