Negative match penalties (i.e., boosting)
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 9, 2022

Hello everyone

In my CAT tool, I can specify that if a TM match is from user XYZ, then the match should be penalized by e.g. 2%. This means that an actual 86% match will show up in the tool and in the analysis as e.g. an 84% match. Very useful when translations in a TM etc. are less reliable.

However, I now want to do the opposite, and I find that I can't seem to do it (in WFC). There is no way to penalize a match by e.g. -2% (which would cause a 97% match to be repo
... See more
Hello everyone

In my CAT tool, I can specify that if a TM match is from user XYZ, then the match should be penalized by e.g. 2%. This means that an actual 86% match will show up in the tool and in the analysis as e.g. an 84% match. Very useful when translations in a TM etc. are less reliable.

However, I now want to do the opposite, and I find that I can't seem to do it (in WFC). There is no way to penalize a match by e.g. -2% (which would cause a 97% match to be reported as a 99% match). I'd like to do this in order to get slightly more favourable analyses for quoting purposes. In other words, I will still make enough money if I move all of my match percentages one up.

Can your CAT tool do that? Can you have negative penalties (i.e. something that increases the match percentage value instead of decreasing it?)

Alternatively, in some CAT tools, you can specify the match categories. So, for example, if the default match category is 75-84%, you can change it to 73-82%, and just report the result it as 75-84% when telling the client your analysis. Can your CAT tool do that easily?

Another question: can you have overlapping match categories in your CAT tool? For example, AFAIK, Trados can't. You can't have both an 80-89% and an 85-94% match band in a single analysis. (And, AFAIK, in Trados you can't really save multiple sets of match categories. If you change the match categories in one place, they apply to all other projects in that language combination, and if you want a different set of categories, you have to change that one set of settings.)

Samuel

[Edited at 2022-09-09 07:48 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Transit Sep 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

if the default match category is 75-84%, you can change it to 73-82%, and just report the result it as 75-84% when telling the client your analysis. Can your CAT tool do that easily?

For the record: Transit can definitely do that.

Another question: can you have overlapping match categories in your CAT tool?

I think this could be done in Transit too.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:30
English to French
+ ...
Interesting Sep 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

move all of my match percentages one up.

[Edited at 2022-09-09 07:48 GMT]

Hi Samuel,

This is an interesting approach. I'm wondering what you would do with 100% and 101% matches (i.e. prioritise TU author) or would you just keep that applied only to fuzzies?

Bests

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Negative match penalties (i.e., boosting)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »