CATCount revisited (and rebuilt for Mac)
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 29, 2022

I totally had forgotten about CATCount. After reading the excellent blog post about converting an Excel worksheet to a Trados termbase, I decided to have a look at the post How to perform word counts and interpret them. And there I found an old acquaintance: CATCount.

It was the me
... See more
I totally had forgotten about CATCount. After reading the excellent blog post about converting an Excel worksheet to a Trados termbase, I decided to have a look at the post How to perform word counts and interpret them. And there I found an old acquaintance: CATCount.

It was the mentioning of 'weighted' words in the blog post that caught my attention.

I'm thinking about rebuilding the tool for Mac users, using Keyboard Maestro.

As a first step, I decided to recreate the UI in Excel.

I found this image:

And created this in Excel to mimic it:

(I know that Trados now has additional Match Types ...)

You can download the Excel file here, if you want to take a look.

Q 1: Has anyone else come up with another solution yet?

Q 2: Is the concept of 'weighted' words used by your clients?

[Edited at 2022-05-30 07:48 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
German clients May 30, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Q 2: Is the concept of 'weighted' words used by your clients?

My German clients call this ‘gewichtete Wörter’ in contrast to ‘Rohwörter’.

Perhaps there are other names for these?

[Edited at 2022-05-30 08:03 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:36
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Sorry, can't help you... May 30, 2022

but maybe it would be good if you specified in the title that you are rebuilding it for Mac users? I got "excited" - because I use it - thinking you were improving it, only to find out you are rebuilding it for Mac...

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Not too difficult May 30, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

but maybe it would be good if you specified in the title that you are rebuilding it for Mac users? I got "excited" - because I use it - thinking you were improving it, only to find out you are rebuilding it for Mac...

It's not too difficult to rebuild it in either AutoHotkey for Windows or Keyboard Maestro for Mac. I'll pick it as my next hobby project.

Wolfgang Schoene

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:36
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Cheers! May 30, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

It's not too difficult to rebuild it in either AutoHotkey for Windows or Keyboard Maestro for Mac. I'll pick it as my next hobby project.

Sounds good...

Wolfgang Schoene

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:36
English to French
Weightless words May 30, 2022

A1: A weighted wordcount is basically the product of a one-row matrix (number of words per concordance band) by a one-column matrix, or vector (respective discounted percentage of full word rate). The outcome is the "full-word equivalent", which means you are paid this weighted wordcount multiplied by your standard word rate. Each sentence is "weighted" against its similarity with existing sentences from the TM.

A2: From what I see in the job board and elsewhere, "weighted" is commo
... See more
A1: A weighted wordcount is basically the product of a one-row matrix (number of words per concordance band) by a one-column matrix, or vector (respective discounted percentage of full word rate). The outcome is the "full-word equivalent", which means you are paid this weighted wordcount multiplied by your standard word rate. Each sentence is "weighted" against its similarity with existing sentences from the TM.

A2: From what I see in the job board and elsewhere, "weighted" is common in agencies' vocabulary. Many agencies state the "weighted wordcount", perhaps as an estimate of the work to be performed. But without stating the discount grid they base their "weighted wordcount" on, this indication is pretty useless.
"Weighted wordcounts" are not a means to get an additional discount, but to provide an estimation (in source words) of the time spent on a translation while using a CAT tool. You save time recycling and adapting existing translations from the translation memory, and the weighted wordcount value is supposed to reflect these time savings.

If the weighted wordcount is vastly lower than the actual wordcount, it means:
-you will spend a fraction of the time translating the piece in a CAT tool compared to translating it without translation memory/CAT tool. Your hourly productivity is not affected at all.
-the discount grid is a joke, like the example in your screenshots, and boils down to a rip-off* in disguise; it doesn't reflect the translation effort, ie time spent, using a CAT tool, and your hourly productivity is negatively affected.

Therefore, besides your word rate and the "weighted wordcount", you need to know the discount grid applied and what it means to your wallet.

Philippe

*[€dit]: with my reference grid (20/60/100, fuzzies in the 85-99% concordance band) and the example from your screenshots, CATCount gives me 901 words. If I accepted the grid from your screenshots, I'd offer a 20+% additional discount on top of the time savings using a CAT tool.

[Edited at 2022-05-30 14:51 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CATCount revisited (and rebuilt for Mac)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »