Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:19
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Mar 24, 2022

Hello,

I have been sent indt files to translate. Does anyone know whether it is possible and how to import them into either Trados or MemoQ?
I have tried various ways including with MemoQ Language Terminal.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kathleen Mar 24, 2022

Kathleen Misson wrote:
I have been sent INDT files to translate. Does anyone know whether it is possible and how to import them into either Trados or MemoQ?

Based on a hunch, I'd say it is unlikely that you would be able to do so.
https://fileinfo.com/extension/indt
This is a native InDesign file, and not an IDML exported version of an InDesign file.

CAT tools generally work only on the IDML exported versions of InDesign files. It may be that you'd need to translate this file in InDesign itself, or else tell the client that you don't have InDesign and that they should send you the translatable text in e.g. Word format. Or ask the client to export it for you to IDML format.

Here are some sample INDT files, if anyone wants to experiment. They are binary files and they are not zipped.
https://www.bestindesigntemplates.com

Kathleen Misson

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Another hunch Mar 24, 2022

After reading this: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/files-templates.html

I'd say that you have to open the template, save it as a normal document and export to IDML.

Do you have access to InDesign?

Jorge Payan

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No... Mar 24, 2022

German-Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:
I'd say that you have to open the template, save it as a normal document and export to IDML.

No, I would not do that. If you did that, then you'd end up with an IDML file that can be imported into a normal document, but how are you then going to convert the translated normal document back to a template?

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Export Mar 24, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
If you did that, then you'd end up with an IDML file that can be imported into a normal document, but how are you then going to convert the translated normal document back to a template?

By opening the translated .idml file and exporting it as .indt from Indesign?

BTW you don't import .idml "into a normal document" (as with CSV and Excel), you simply open the .idml file.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-03-25 10:46 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved with .idml file Mar 24, 2022

There was no solution to work with .indt files. The client has sent .idml.
Thank you for your help!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You're right, I misunderstood the process Mar 24, 2022

Joakim Braun wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
How are you then going to convert the translated normal document back to a template?

By opening the translated .idml file and exporting it as .idmt from Indesign?

Yes, I watched several more videos and found that you're right. In fact, I get the impression that an INDT file is simply an INDD file with a different file extension (to prevent people from accidentally damaging the template when they use it). Is that right? Can you convert an INDD file by changing the file extension?

MemoQ claims to be able to translate INDD files natively. If an INDT file is simply an INDD file with a different file extension, wouldn't it be easiest for the translator to just rename it and translate it like that? I don't know how well MemoQ handles INDD files, though.

You don't import .idml "into a normal document".

I always thought that IDML is an export format (because of the way people talk about it), but you're right: it's not.
It's actually just a save format.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Binary formats Mar 25, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

If an INDT file is simply an INDD file with a different file extension, wouldn't it be easiest for the translator to just rename it and translate it like that? I don't know how well MemoQ handles INDD files, though.

.indt and .indd are both proprietary, CAT-averse binary formats.
.idml is a CAT and reverse engineering friendly XML format.

Tested creating a new .indd file and saving a copy as .indt. The files are not binary identical. But when working in Indesign, the expectation is that opening .indt will bring up EXACTLY the same document contents as opening the corresponding .indd, the only difference being that a new document is created for .indt. So the files should contain the same information, perhaps arranged differently.

(When renaming .indt -> .indd and vice versa, Indesign handles the resulting file as expected.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating .indt files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »