Best CAT for DITA?
Thread poster: tz7
tz7
tz7
United States
Local time: 11:36
English to Japanese
Nov 17, 2021

I am looking for the best CAT tool for our DITA documents. Any recommendations?
I have been using XTM but found supporting some elements, like <fn> is difficult for them.

I found the old thread here: https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/325711-using_dita_format_to_translate.html
Just wanted to refre
... See more
I am looking for the best CAT tool for our DITA documents. Any recommendations?
I have been using XTM but found supporting some elements, like <fn> is difficult for them.

I found the old thread here: https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/325711-using_dita_format_to_translate.html
Just wanted to refresh it.

[Edited at 2021-11-17 16:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-11-17 16:30 GMT]
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
English to Spanish
Different options Nov 17, 2021

Hi,

Maxprograms has three tools that handle DITA:

• XLIFF Manager converts your DITA files to XLIFF and back. If you use XLIFF Manager, you can translate your XLIFF files in any CAT tool.

• Fluenta allows you to process recurrent DITA translation projects. It generates XLIFF for you a... See more
Hi,

Maxprograms has three tools that handle DITA:

• XLIFF Manager converts your DITA files to XLIFF and back. If you use XLIFF Manager, you can translate your XLIFF files in any CAT tool.

• Fluenta allows you to process recurrent DITA translation projects. It generates XLIFF for you and keeps track of previously translated DITA files. it has an internal TM engine that retrieves matches from the DITA project. You can use any CAT tool to translate the XLIFF files generated by Fluenta.

• Swordfish IV is a CAT tool that can translate DITA files.

All tools mentioned above use OpenXLIFF Filters to process DITA files. This library is able to handle the most problematic aspects of DITA:

• Retrieve all translatable text from all topic files mentioned in the main DITA map

• Text referencing using "conref" attributes

• Text referencing using "keys" with support for "keyref", "conkeyref" and all key-based attributes

• Conditional text inclusion using "ditaval" files (Swordfish does not use "ditaval" files)

When you receive a DITA map, you should use it to harvest the translatable content from the associated set of topics. If you can't start with the map, you will have to deal with individual topic files, probably a lot of small files.

If a CAT tool does not resolve text references via "conref" or keys, you will have to translate without context and that means that you may produce gender or quantity related errors or simply wrong verb inflections.

Also, if you can't do conditional filtering with "ditaval" files, you may end translating things that you should not touch.

Hope this helps,
Rodolfo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best CAT for DITA?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »