Local time: 05:52
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why HTML? Nov 9, 2021

Sara Massons wrote:

Hello,

Sorry if I drift a little bit from the initial question here but I'm really wondering why you should deal with HTML files at all.

How do your "html files" client do when they want to change only a few things somewhere? Do they send you the whole file again ? Or maybe I'm completely wrong and these HTML files are used for another purpose...

I don't know, Sara, why I should deal with this sort of file. For the time being client asked "are you comfortable with this file type"? So I'm gathering information as I have never dealt with this sort of file.
And client is apparently making up his mind about what to do. I shall wait and see.

Anyway, thank you so much you all for being helpful.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@German Nov 9, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
One problem is when the HTML contains code from another language (this is perfectly acceptable in HTML).

Language as in 'markup language' or 'scripting language'.

I meant "language" as in the syntax of characters that surround the human language. For this purpose, I would not distinguish between programming language, markup language and scripting language. There are valid ways to include all three such types of code within an HTML file.

For example, there may be bits of JavaScript inside an HTML file, and the JavaScript may contain translatable text, but the HTML filter of a CAT tool may not be able to extract that translatable text and may treat the entire block of JavaScript as "code" and thus untranslatable. Heck, you can even have HTML inside HTML (think CDATA...), and the CAT tool may only see the outer HTML.

Sara Massons

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating HTML files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »