Which CAT tools do provide special features for proofreading/reviewing?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Oct 26, 2021

This post is to do an inventory, which CAT tools do provide special features for proofreading/reviewing, like tracking (but not necessarily limited to this feature)?

I'm aware of memoQ en RWS Trados Studio, who both offer a tracking feature.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@German Oct 26, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:
This post is to do an inventory, which CAT tools do provide special features for proofreading/reviewing, like tracking (but not necessarily limited to this feature)?

WFC can obviously be used for editing, since it runs inside of Word, but the tracked edits are not saved in the TM (so that it isn't clear which text was inserted or deleted when looking at a TM match).

WFP3 and WFP6 both keep track of what the previous translator/reviewer did (unless the translator deletes that information from the file, whether deliberately or just because he edits the file in a program that strips that stuff from the file), and you can export a report that shows the changes in a table format.

What I miss from most CAT tools w.r.t. reviewing is the ability to do quicker concordance searches for terms or phrases, or even automatic (smart) concordance look-ups so that the reviewer can see how a term was translated in other segments, without having to manually initiate the look-up.

Another thing that I dislike is how difficult it is to add comments, to view comments and to edit or reply to comments. In MemoQ, for example, I can't scroll up and down while I'm viewing or editing a comment (who thought that that would be a good idea??). In Trados, I sometimes can and sometimes can't write a comment about a specific word (sometimes you have to write a comment that highlights the entire segment).

Hans Lenting
Grigori Gazarian
Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Oct 26, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

What I miss from most CAT tools w.r.t. reviewing is the ability to do quicker concordance searches for terms or phrases, or even automatic (smart) concordance look-ups so that the reviewer can see how a term was translated in other segments, without having to manually initiate the look-up.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

If I remember correctly, Transit NXT offers such a feature with Dual Linking.

Also, if I remember correctly, when re-importing an XLIFF in Déjà Vu, you get a dialogue box to approve changes in segments. Can a Déjà Vu user confirm this?

[Edited at 2021-10-26 10:06 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:15
English to Czech
DGT-OmegaT Oct 27, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

DGT-OmegaT

http://185.13.37.79/?q=node/2

Specific features

Features for revisors : http://185.13.37.79/?q=/node/11

Features for revisors

In DGT, translators can also act as revisors. Generally, the translator has the last word, which means that, after a document is revised by a fellow translator acting as a revisor, the translator will check the changes made by the revisor and can accept or reject them. Bearing that in mind, the following features were developed for the revision workflow.

Milan

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:15
English to French
+ ...
Against Glossary Oct 27, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but:
In Wf Pro 6 if you perform a Transcheck from the Transcheck report button, you will get extra checks:
_Against terms in the glossary
_Inconsistencies in source and target
The html report has some interactive feature.

I find both of these extra checks very useful, especially when committing everything to the TM, it enables cleaner hits down the line, even more so if you keep separate TMs for each client.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
What I'm looking for Oct 27, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but:

I'd like to know how different CAT tools support translators that work as a reviewer or proofreader. The Tracking feature that memoQ and Trados Studio offer is a nice way to mark changes that a reviewer/proofreader makes.

But I can imagine that CAT tools that don't have a dedicated Tracking feature, offer other ways to let the client see which changes the reviewer/proofreader has made. E.g. via comments or notes?

[Edited at 2021-10-27 11:02 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:15
English to French
+ ...
top of my head Oct 27, 2021

Somethings I remember off the top of my head (besides the usual suspects already mentioned here):
_In Wordfast Pro, if the TM has traveled with the translation, you can look at the modified date and the author of the updated (or added depending on settings) TU.
_In Wf Anywhere if you turn on "Record revisions", each time you open a segment you will see each saved version of the segment as a separate TU (with date author etc.) in the TM panel.

For most then it gets down t
... See more
Somethings I remember off the top of my head (besides the usual suspects already mentioned here):
_In Wordfast Pro, if the TM has traveled with the translation, you can look at the modified date and the author of the updated (or added depending on settings) TU.
_In Wf Anywhere if you turn on "Record revisions", each time you open a segment you will see each saved version of the segment as a separate TU (with date author etc.) in the TM panel.

For most then it gets down to workflow and "ergonomics", there's no one size fits all what works for some will be hated by others...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tools do provide special features for proofreading/reviewing?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »