MXLIFF word count, including repetitions—alternatives to MemSource?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2021

Is there any alternative tool that can count words in an MXLIFF file, including repetitions (smth. that AnyCount fails at)? I need to cross-check my MemSource results. Preferably an offline one. TM access is not essential in this case.

[Edited at 2021-10-08 09:10 GMT]

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:43
English to German
Import in another CAT tool Oct 8, 2021

If TM matches are not relevant, why not just import the file(s) in another CAT tool like Trados, MemoQ or DéjàVu and run an analysis there?

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would prefer a tool that does this directly Oct 8, 2021

Endre Both wrote:

If TM matches are not relevant, why not just import the file(s) in another CAT tool like Trados, MemoQ or DéjàVu and run an analysis there?

That's what I did in the end—exported the bilingual file to DOCX, deleted all but the source text from it, and did the count using SDL Analyse. But I'd prefer a tool that does this directly, because I suspect that I'll have to perform this analysis often and on many files in the future.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Import the MXLIFF file directly? Oct 8, 2021

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
exported the bilingual file to DOCX, deleted all but the source text from it, and did the count using SDL Analyse.

Did Trados refuse to import the MXLIFF file directly, or why else did you resort to the above method?

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Oct 8, 2021

Endre Both wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
exported the bilingual file to DOCX, deleted all but the source text from it, and did the count using SDL Analyse.

Did Trados refuse to import the MXLIFF file directly, or why else did you resort to the above method?

Yes, Studio 2019 refused to import the MXLIFF file, at least in the single-file mode (didn't try project creation). SDL Analyse accepted the file but output all zeros in the analysis.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Artem Oct 8, 2021

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Is there any alternative tool that can count words in an MXLIFF file, including repetitions ...

You have a find a CAT tool that will read the file quickly and easily.

Try OmegaT: you may need to update the filter settings so that it considers MXLIFF to be an XLIFF file, and you need to install either the Okapi of the StaX plugin if you want to do work counts on partially translated XLIFF files, and remember to deselect OmegaT's built-in XLIFF filter, which is a bit primitive. To count in OmegaT, create a project anywhere on your computer (you can then reuse it over an over), put the MXLIFF file in the project's /source/ folder, and perform the count from the menu.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Samuel, will try that Oct 8, 2021

Thank you Samuel for suggesting OmegaT! I have it installed. Will try your method.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Is there any alternative tool that can count words in an MXLIFF file, including repetitions ...

You have a find a CAT tool that will read the file quickly and easily.

Try OmegaT: you may need to update the filter settings so that it considers MXLIFF to be an XLIFF file, and you need to install either the Okapi of the StaX plugin if you want to do work counts on partially translated XLIFF files, and remember to deselect OmegaT's built-in XLIFF filter, which is a bit primitive. To count in OmegaT, create a project anywhere on your computer (you can then reuse it over an over), put the MXLIFF file in the project's /source/ folder, and perform the count from the menu.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did the analysis—diff between Rep and Exact Match? Oct 8, 2021

Samuel, I did the analysis, and it showed 20 repetitions and 654 exact matches (in word units). What exactly is the difference between them, given that I didn't specify a TM?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MXLIFF word count, including repetitions—alternatives to MemSource?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »