Oksana Kampov
Local time: 19:18
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2021

CAT Tools
English-Ukrainian

Hello colleagues,

I was hoping I could get some input from you on the subject of CAT tools.

I used to do translation projects regularly, but haven’t done any in a long while. My current circumstances would allow me to take up translation once again and as the translation software requires initial investment, I would like to get the most useful tool.

Which ones do you use and would recommend?

Than
... See more
CAT Tools
English-Ukrainian

Hello colleagues,

I was hoping I could get some input from you on the subject of CAT tools.

I used to do translation projects regularly, but haven’t done any in a long while. My current circumstances would allow me to take up translation once again and as the translation software requires initial investment, I would like to get the most useful tool.

Which ones do you use and would recommend?

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Oksana
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Oksana Oct 4, 2021

Oksana Kampov wrote:
My current circumstances would allow me to take up translation once again and as the translation software requires initial investment, I would like to get the most useful tool.

I don't have any knowledge of Ukrainian, but since Ukrainian uses Cyrillic, it is my understanding that all of the major and minor off-line tools [1] should be able to handle Ukrainian. Presumably some of them may offer less useful fuzzy matching and glossary matching than others, but you should be able to find that out when you use the trial versions.

CAT tools typically don't include dictionaries. They do often include or work with spell-checkers, so you'll have to investigate which of the CAT tools have a Ukrainian spell-checker available. CAT tools can also connect to machine translation systems, so again, you'll have to investigate which MT systems offer Ukrainian, and then investigate which CAT tools can handle those MT systems. You often have to pay a fee to the MT service itself, if you choose to use it, which is not covered by the CAT tool's price.

[1] Trados (€855 perpetual, optional €225 upgrade every ± 2 years), MemoQ (€620 perpetual, optional €124 upgrade every year), Wordfast Pro (€480 x 50% for a 3-year subscription, free upgrades, €240 x 50% renewal), OmegaT (€0), CafeTran (€200 perpetual, free upgrades for 3 years)

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:18
English to Russian
Pricing policy Oct 4, 2021

As Samuel mentioned above, most CAT tools can handle Russian and Ukrainian. What is more relevant for you is their pricing policy. There is an authorized reseller that sells Trados at a price 2 times lower that that mentioned by Samuel above. The territory of their sales activities also includes Ukraine (https://www.tra-service.ru/aboutus). Another Trados advantage is that it has a whole store full o... See more
As Samuel mentioned above, most CAT tools can handle Russian and Ukrainian. What is more relevant for you is their pricing policy. There is an authorized reseller that sells Trados at a price 2 times lower that that mentioned by Samuel above. The territory of their sales activities also includes Ukraine (https://www.tra-service.ru/aboutus). Another Trados advantage is that it has a whole store full of bonus applications including even an NMT engine built on this UN corpus and many other useful freebies.
memoQ used to be a more user-friendly tool but hardly it still is.
In terms of pricing, CafeTran seems to be the most wallet-friendly CAT tool. I am not sure if it is still true now, but there was sort of promo that offered CafeTran for free provided that you buy proz.com yearly subscription. But even without promo, CafeTran seems to be next to free with its €80 per year.

[Edited at 2021-10-04 11:29 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Some good things remain Oct 5, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

In terms of pricing, CafeTran seems to be the most wallet-friendly CAT tool. I am not sure if it is still true now, but there was sort of promo that offered CafeTran for free provided that you buy proz.com yearly subscription.

Still part of the Proz Plus package. Great deal: you get a floating license.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools recommendations for English-Ukrainian

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »