Israel
Local time: 08:00
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No reply yet Aug 12, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

@Garry Black
If/When you choose to start your trial period, could you please advise if you have the Alignment Editor in English or in French. Even when I select English in the Language settings, the major part of the UI is in English, but Alignment Editor still remains in French. I asked them if it was a limitation of the trial version, but they said no, it must be in English regarless of the trial version. Do you experience that either?

They haven't replied. I'll send them another email later today and will let you know about the Alignment Editor UI language once/if I get it.

Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info Aug 12, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:

I have done lots of alignments.
Align Factory is good to help you double-check aligned text.

However, if you are looking at a vast amount of data, a big issue is misalignment due to segmentation issues. When many segments are misaligned, the time spent fixing it may outweigh the benefit of having the alignment done.

What I usually recommend is the Wordfast Aligner on wordfast.net (not DOT COM). It's actively developed and has smart features built-in to omit TUs that are potentially misaligned. I personally prefer less but more accurate TUs.
It's free, you just copy-paste the text in the boxes on the website.

Here's the link if you want to try it:
https://www.wordfast.net/?go=align

Thank you for the info. However, I prefer not to do it online due to confidentiality reasons.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:00
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Aug 12, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
Link

Thank you, but it doesn't seem to be available (any more?).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Works for me Aug 12, 2021

Ines R, PhD wrote:
it doesn't seem to be available (any more?).
Why not? Did you try it? I tried and I could successfully complete the purchase form.
2021-08-12_223452
* I am not sure if the screenshot may be considered as advertising, therefore, I blur the brand name. But all the buttons work fine.
Could it be the case that they only sell it in Russia?.. Probably you can try their emails: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

[Edited at 2021-08-12 20:02 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Glory? Aug 12, 2021

Garry Black wrote:
They haven't replied.
That sounds odd to me. When I wrote them, they responded quickly by email as if it was a chat room. May I think this is because I'm that famous now?

Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got the trial version Aug 12, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Garry Black wrote:
They haven't replied.
That sounds odd to me. When I wrote them, they responded quickly by email as if it was a chat room. May I think this is because I'm that famous now?

))
I wrote them again and they replied quickly, guess there was some unclear issue with my previous email. I'm trying it right now. The Alignment Editor is in English, as well as as everything else in the software.
The first result I got is relatively good, most of the segments are aligned correctly, a few are unrelated. I'm aligning Hebrew (source) and English (target) pairs, so maybe HE causes it some confusions here and there, but overall, I must say that I'm impressed.

Stepan Konev

Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Available in Israel Aug 12, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ines R, PhD wrote:
Why not? Did you try it? I tried and I could successfully complete the purchase form.
2021-08-12_223452
* I am not sure if the screenshot may be considered as advertising, therefore, I blur the brand name. But all the buttons work fine.
Could it be the case that they only sell it in Russia?.. Probably you can try their emails: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

I'm in Israel; just checked and it's available here, although the local price is ILS 526 = $163 for the Freelance Edition. It's available locally on abbyy.co.il

I see that it's also available here -
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/ABBYY-Aligner.shtml

[Edited at 2021-08-12 20:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-12 20:30 GMT]

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:00
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Not in Germany, it seems Aug 16, 2021

Garry Black wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ines R, PhD wrote:
2021-08-12_223452

I'm in Israel; just checked and it's available here, although the local price is ILS 526 = $163 for the Freelance Edition. It's available locally on abbyy.co.il

I see that it's also available here -
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/ABBYY-Aligner.shtml

[Edited at 2021-08-12 20:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-12 20:30 GMT]

Ok, so first I thought it's just my mobile, but also from the computer, neither of those links work for me, and I end up with the regular OCR software.
I will try a proxy later, because now I really want it! 🤣

Thanks for the links anyway!

Bruce Tuggy
Bruce Tuggy
United States
Local time: 22:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word macros for aligning Aug 17, 2021

When I was looking for alignment tools a few months ago, I had whole book manuscripts that I wanted to place into TMs. Nothing that I looked at seemed to meet my needs, especially for Word files where I used a two-column table, with an original paragraph in the left column and its translated paragraph in the right column. If you have this situation, I've written a macro to break the paragraphs into segments and align them, with a few residual misalignments to be cleaned up when done.

... See more
When I was looking for alignment tools a few months ago, I had whole book manuscripts that I wanted to place into TMs. Nothing that I looked at seemed to meet my needs, especially for Word files where I used a two-column table, with an original paragraph in the left column and its translated paragraph in the right column. If you have this situation, I've written a macro to break the paragraphs into segments and align them, with a few residual misalignments to be cleaned up when done.

I also wrote a version of the macro to align texts in separate files, however, it's nowhere nearly as polished as Align Factory (but it's free).

Please let me know if you think you can use one of these two macros.
Collapse

Philippe Locquet

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Alignment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »