Claiming expenses for overseas travelling (for tax purpose)
Thread poster: Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:27
Chinese
Oct 2, 2023

Hi guys,

I'm travelling in China and would like to claim expenses (airfare, accommodation, and whatever else) under professional development (to help me update my language through spending time in a country where one of my working language is used). I wonder if this is allowed by ATO? Has anyone successfully claimed expenses for overseas trips under language professional development, especially through a tax accountant? Any advice to share?

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:27
Japanese to English
+ ...
Claiming expenses for overseas travelling Oct 3, 2023

When I have gone to Japan to meet with clients, prospect for new clients and buy new dictionaries I have claimed round-trip airfare for me and my wife, hotel expenses, food and transportation and incidentals. A two-week trip to Tokyo easily came to USD 10,000. The American IRS had no complaints because I was meticulous about itemization. And I had a good tax preparer.

Guofei_LIN
Dalia Nour
Tom in London
IrinaN

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
. Oct 3, 2023

Empty post. Please remove. Thank you

[Edited at 2023-10-03 17:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Claiming expenses for overseas travelling (for tax purpose)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »