Thread poster: Tanya Quintieri
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tips Apr 21

I forgot to add a tip, which would be turn down/off the heating/aircon. That has to be our biggest energy use.

I’ve always thought it would be better to upgrade bits of my PC than replace the whole thing each time, but standards seem to change too quickly and I don’t know whether it’s feasible to upgrade my 2016 machine which is now getting very slow.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Occasional vegan buffets Apr 21

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:
For example:
Plant-based catering at translator events
Encouraging translators to travel to conferences by rail
Running climate literacy courses

A lot of people do care actually. Studies have shown that we tend to underestimate how concerned other people are.

I despair about most people’s willingness to change. Get a bus to work, walk to the shops, give up meat, wear clothes in town twice, no chance.

I used to live in an eco-friendly bubble so the real world came as quite a shock.

The occasional vegan buffet is a drop in the ocean. And I always feel “extreme” measures like that alienate the majority.

We could do more by not coming n this forum.

What we need in the UK at least is for the press to get behind it rather than stirring up resentment the whole time.

I agree about the press.

The value of vegan catering is not in the small amount of emissions saved, but in shifting people's expectation that meat-based meals will always automatically be the norm.

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Larissa Hansford
Larissa Hansford
Australia
Local time: 05:33
German to English
Don't worry about work Apr 21

I think our line of work is pretty sustainable already. Service industries tend to be pretty low carbon and we have a decent amount of leeway for working from home.

Of course there are things we can do to reduce wastage - minimise printing, efficient lighting, recycling etc. We can also make sure we don't deal with unethical businesses.

However, on an individual level, I would suspect that if you want to cut carbon, you would need to look outside of your work practices
... See more
I think our line of work is pretty sustainable already. Service industries tend to be pretty low carbon and we have a decent amount of leeway for working from home.

Of course there are things we can do to reduce wastage - minimise printing, efficient lighting, recycling etc. We can also make sure we don't deal with unethical businesses.

However, on an individual level, I would suspect that if you want to cut carbon, you would need to look outside of your work practices. Changing what we eat and how many children we have are by far the most effective ways to cut personal emissions.

Even more than that, we need to be out there lobbying, protesting and doing what we can to make change happen on a larger scale.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Don't use AI chat bots Apr 22

They are power eaters.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-04-22 08:28 GMT]

Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
IrinaN

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting turns Apr 22

Wow, this discussion is a bit different from what I had expected, but I guess we all have our own takes on how to live/work more sustainably.

Christopher Schröder

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
energy consumption by AI features Apr 22

Zea_Mays wrote:

Don't use AI chat bots
They are power eaters.

From Business Insider:

ChatGPT uses more than half a million kilowatt-hours of electricity daily - In comparison, the average US household uses just 29 kilowatt-hours. (...) Dividing the amount of electricity that ChatGPT uses per day by the amount used by the average household shows that ChatGPT uses more than 17 thousand times the amount of electricity.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chatgpt-uses-17-thousand-times-more-electricity-than-us-household-2024-3

The mentioned article can be found here: https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-obscene-energy-demands-of-ai

IrinaN
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Perspective Apr 22

IrinaN wrote:
how exactly could I have reached Mount Fuji, Chechen Itza, The Cape of Good Hope, Pyramids, Louvre and Prado by rail from Houston, TX? You may be content to live without it but I'm not.

Well, that's the issue. Some believe that we have a right to continue to do what we want and go where we want, the planet be damned. But the science seems pretty clear that we can't just carry on as is. And 7 billion of those people won't ever get to see any of those places anyway. So it all boils down to our personal take on self vs community.

Like the saying: "When someone is accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Rachel Waddington
Zea_Mays
Lieven Malaise
Joe France
P.L.F. Persio

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 14:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Alright then:-) Apr 22

Let's tell the underprivileged that all fat privileged cats like your truly and up, who worked 40-50-hour weeks for 30-40 years and keep working, will no longer bring their tourist or business dollars to their shops, family restaurants, small towns and villages. They don't need any jobs created by travel/tourism industry. They must wait until the best of the humanity will build their paradise or... just die out in deeper poverty. See how happy they will be. The best certainly can wait...
... See more
Let's tell the underprivileged that all fat privileged cats like your truly and up, who worked 40-50-hour weeks for 30-40 years and keep working, will no longer bring their tourist or business dollars to their shops, family restaurants, small towns and villages. They don't need any jobs created by travel/tourism industry. They must wait until the best of the humanity will build their paradise or... just die out in deeper poverty. See how happy they will be. The best certainly can wait...

Privilege is to wear pink glasses and not see real people and the reality behind the trees. Not to mention desperate need for human in-person communication to dissipate stereotypes, lies and ignorance.

In the 1st world I see too many underprivileged with more expensive cars and Iphones than I can afford:-).
Collapse

Daryo

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Plants Apr 23

IrinaN wrote:

PS. I am curious - how do planet lovers plan to feed and clothe 8 billion humans strictly on a plant-based existence? Where do we plan to get all that cultivated land to grow all we need, and who'll be working on it? Or 3-D print, worms and crickets from labs, processing our own dead? Shall we strip the planet naked? Just one example - are you aware of the scale of deforestation and wildlife loss in Mexico simply because everyone wants a profitable avocado plantation instead? Are you comfortable eating avocados now? Organic life on this planet runs on eating each other day in, day out, self-controlling and balancing numbers with available food sources (pink elephants excluded), never reaching the extermination point until, of course, humans introduce some invasive alien species other than themselves:-). Or we'd be risking death by suffocation from the fumes of dead corpses before CO2 gets us:-). We are born with both molars and canines, listen to the nature. I have no doubt that this planet will get a break only after humans will finally self-destruct. Get curious about Chernobyl wildlife today. It's thriving. No humans for 50 years was all it took to recover and bloom again after the most horrific tragedy.

The point of a plant-based diet is that it would take far *less* cultivated land to feed us all on plants than on meat. Cutting out beef in particular is one of the most important steps you can take (on a personal level) if you care about the environment.

I agree with you about the impact of humans on the planet. I only wonder how much will be left for other life forms after we have made our planet unliveable for ourselves.

Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 22:33
English to Russian
+ ...
So, the billions are the problem Apr 23

I must be hugely misinformed if I'm wrong to believe that some big minds and much bigger wallets are planning to depopulate the planet considerably in less than scrupulous ways. COVID didn't do the trick so now we're being threatened with disease X. In the case of COVID, you don't have to join the club of people who say the virus was engineered, but with this new thing it's just hard to believe otherwise: we are being warned that something is in the pipeline so we'd better be scared (I really ho... See more
I must be hugely misinformed if I'm wrong to believe that some big minds and much bigger wallets are planning to depopulate the planet considerably in less than scrupulous ways. COVID didn't do the trick so now we're being threatened with disease X. In the case of COVID, you don't have to join the club of people who say the virus was engineered, but with this new thing it's just hard to believe otherwise: we are being warned that something is in the pipeline so we'd better be scared (I really hope it's just a bubble). Plus there are wars, it's always nice to keep them going. Somehow, these things never pop up in environment talks. Maybe because they are not real and I'm just being carried away with conspiracy theories. And I don't even belong to any movements that spread such theories, I'm just observing life. My take on this is that we'll make it through anywayCollapse

P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Duty of care Apr 23

Rachel Waddington wrote:
The point of a plant-based diet is that it would take far *less* cultivated land to feed us all on plants than on meat. Cutting out beef in particular is one of the most important steps you can take (on a personal level) if you care about the environment.

Or animals!

I agree with you about the impact of humans on the planet. I only wonder how much will be left for other life forms after we have made our planet unliveable for ourselves.

I actually have every confidence in the planet sorting itself out with or without our help, and humans adapting to whatever the future holds, but looking after the planet and nature still seems like a good idea. Not just because I make an increasingly tidy sum from sustainability reporting...

Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another tip Apr 23

Buy less stuff.

I recently discovered that Port Talbot steelworks just along the coast from us singlehandedly puts out 2% of total UK carbon emissions. So it's not just about transport, cows and avocados.

Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Sustainability? Apr 25

Absolutely and always.

You have to ensure that your business is sustainable.

Whatever I do I always make sure it's sustainable - that I make more from the results than what I invested in obtaining it.

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Cap the volcanoes Apr 26

1) Considering that the smallest active volcano in existence emits about 1 million times more carbon, on a monthly basis, than all printed documents with "rich fonts" in human history, I am all for capping them.
2) Ask for elimination of large houses (especially those of Silicon Valley and Wall Street tycoons).
3) Ask for elimination of all government buildings (they can work from home, just like we do).
4) Ask for elimination of art and artistic shapes (thus the "artistic" fon
... See more
1) Considering that the smallest active volcano in existence emits about 1 million times more carbon, on a monthly basis, than all printed documents with "rich fonts" in human history, I am all for capping them.
2) Ask for elimination of large houses (especially those of Silicon Valley and Wall Street tycoons).
3) Ask for elimination of all government buildings (they can work from home, just like we do).
4) Ask for elimination of art and artistic shapes (thus the "artistic" fonts as well).
5) Move the entire population in weather zones requiring the least amount of heating and A/C.
6) Prohibit "vacations" and "retirement". Massa says you keep working until 75, then die.
7) Let' start pointing the finger (like the proud witch-hunting caricatures that we are) to all those who forgot their home thermostat one degree higher than the "recommended".
================
On the flip side, you can increase the RAM on your computer and start running it in "medium power mode". Same performance (larger RAM decreases disk usage), less energy consumption (so much less that it actually shows in the electric bill). And sue Microsoft for including tons of useless sub-routines in the Windows OS, which slow down performance and increase energy consumption.
Collapse

Tanya Quintieri

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Reduce monitor brightness to 100 cd/m2 (recommended by photo labs) Apr 27

Monitors come with their brightness set too high. Photography labs recommend that you set it at 100 cd/m2, which in the beginning looks a little low, but your eyes get used to it within 1 minute, and you'll never get back.
Not only will your photo prints match what you see on the screen in terms of brightness (no more "dark prints"), your eyes will thank you, and your electric bill will be lower.

Zea_Mays

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Share your tips on sustainable work practices

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »