Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Outsourcers now have the option to rank freelancers by KudoZ PRO points in the last 12 months
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Is the scenario presented by me in my earlier posting is correct or not? Nov 16, 2007

I am talking about the new option. Does it mean that:

If say some 10 non-members have the first 10 ranks in KudoZ holdings in that manner, the first member will come only after these 10 people in the list?

Why 10 non-members, it might even be 100 non-members theoretically before a member comes up. Have I understood clearly?

If my scenario is the right one, you are taking away from members who have taken the initiative of paying good money. You are reducing
... See more

If say some 10 non-members have the first 10 ranks in KudoZ holdings in that manner, the first member will come only after these 10 people in the list?

Why 10 non-members, it might even be 100 non-members theoretically before a member comes up. Have I understood clearly?

If my scenario is the right one, you are taking away from members who have taken the initiative of paying good money. You are reducing that much incentive for a new non-member to become a member.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:22
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
To clarify a little... Nov 16, 2007

I am afraid I didn't make myself clear enough. Silly point grabber...

Andrea Riffo wrote:

Maciek Drobka wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there's a KudoZ rule saying you can only answer questions if you want to help a colleague rather than get the points.

The fact that there's not a rule doesn't make it right.

I didn't mean to discuss the right or wrong of anything. What I meant to say is that there are a number of ways to use KudoZ. To me, KudoZ, and ProZ.com as a whole, is what I make of it as long as I don't break any rules (or do anybody intentional harm without breaking the rules).

Maciek Drobka wrote:

Frankly, I mostly answer questions for the sake of points because I have learned it pays off (yes, in money terms).

I'm sure it does and good for you; but if the asker is completely lost and receives completely a wrong answer because the answerer cares about the points only, no matter how unprepared s/he is in the subject, it can be harmful.

I may have not made it clear enough. The above does not apply to me. I am a point grabber ONLY WITHIN my specialty areas.

And I can't be held responsible for what others do.

Maciek Drobka wrote:
And yes, I have provided a few incompetent answers in my KudoZ career, mostly in the medical field,...

ESPECIALLY in this field (or heavy machinery ::shudder:: ). Frankly I think that people's health is FAR more important that 4 miserable KudoZ point, but perhaps that's just me.

Agree. That's why I decided not to do it any more.

Maciek Drobka wrote:
...but after getting several disagrees I learned my lesson. Now I know I shouldn't enter an area unless I have strong experience there. And I stick to that 95% of the time. The remaining 5% is for when I genuinely think I know the answer, but only learn afterwards I was wrong.

Giving a wrong answer because you were 100% certain that it was correct is completely different than shooting the first thing that comes to mind or the 3rd Google hit for the sake of points, without even bothering to ask oneself "is this right?" or reading the whole question.

Well, it often happens that the first thing that comes to mind is right. This is not a valid criterion to me to refrain from answering a question. I always read the whole question, and even if something pops up immediately in my mind, I always stop to think whether it's right.

Again, I do not feel responsible for what others do in a similar situation.

Maciek Drobka wrote:
And as for marketing... Well, I accept it as a fact of life. Again, nobody said we should only compete with professionalism. I do a fair amount of marketing, but I only market the truth about my skills and experience.

Seems like we don't understand "professionalism" the same way.

Well, I didn't say anything about how I understand professionalism. You must be a mind reader to kow we understand the term differently.

Best,
Maciek

[Edited at 2007-11-16 15:19]

[Edited at 2007-11-16 15:20]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:22
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
No, your scenario is not right. Nov 16, 2007

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

If my scenario is the right one, you are taking away from members who have taken the initiative of paying good money. You are reducing that much incentive for a new non-member to become a member.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

No, your scenario is not right.

Assuming that all of them meet the conditions stated by the outsourcer (such as language pair, field of expertise, native language, etc.) the job-related member (full professional, partial jobs or corporate) will appear ahead of the 10 (or 100) other users, even when all of them have more KudoZ PRO points than the member.

Regards,
Enrique

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Hi, Uldis & Enrique Nov 16, 2007

I have no problem leaving things as they are. I get enough work from other sources, so I do not need to get any through here. What little I do get is from other colleagues who need a hand from time to time because they are overloaded, but not from "outsourcers".

I like playing the Kudoz game, but that other game with agencies and the like, no thanks.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
Spanish to English
Could you please explain the point? Nov 16, 2007

I'd like to repeat my question, as if seems to have got lost somewhere and gone unanswered. Could site staff please explain why they feel it is necessary to introduce this option and what purpose it is supposed to serve?

Thank you.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Providing options is in line with ProZ.com's philosophy Nov 16, 2007

Nikki Graham wrote:

I'd like to repeat my question, as if seems to have got lost somewhere and gone unanswered. Could site staff please explain why they feel it is necessary to introduce this option and what purpose it is supposed to serve?

Thank you.

Providing options to site users is very much in line with ProZ.com's philosophy.

Some outsourcers may find this sorting according to points during the last year more useful than the "classic" approach, or they may use both.

Regards,
Enrique

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Options Nov 17, 2007

More options are always good, so I would say try it and see how it works. My own thought is that it will probably not make much of a difference, but for those of you who play the game, let's see.

There are many people out there who have been coming out strong recently, so if it might benefit them, why not?

lbc2002
lbc2002
Local time: 11:22
English to Italian
Could you post a picture/snapshot of the new option? Nov 17, 2007

Hi!
I have tried to find the new option in the freelancers directory but could'nt locate it, I suppose it's visible only to outsourcers, right? If so, could you kindly post a snapshot/picture? thank you!

Anyway, IMHO even if it's true that some outsourcers may find this sorting according to points during the last year more useful, I think the new option only apparently will give newcomers to the site (like me) better chances, as those who currently have the highest kudoz point
... See more
Hi!
I have tried to find the new option in the freelancers directory but could'nt locate it, I suppose it's visible only to outsourcers, right? If so, could you kindly post a snapshot/picture? thank you!

Anyway, IMHO even if it's true that some outsourcers may find this sorting according to points during the last year more useful, I think the new option only apparently will give newcomers to the site (like me) better chances, as those who currently have the highest kudoz points and up to now have been, say, "like sleeping" (basically for their high scores) will probably "wake up" and start to compete again (at least more frequently than now) just to grab "fresh" points and try to keep their top positions also when outsourcers will look only for the points earned in the last year. Given their great experience and vast knowledge I suppose that it will be very difficult to compete with them.

Just my 2 cent
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 04:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Can't say for other pairs Nov 17, 2007

But in En-Ru pair Kudoz became a ~75% free ride. Most questions are ridiculous and any qualified oldtimer could knock down a whole page of questions in 1 hour. We don't do it any more and I'm pretty sure that new good people will get fed up very soon. Again, more power to point-grabbers and their clients. Exceptions recognized:-)

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 04:22
English to Russian
+ ...
What for? Nov 17, 2007

lbc2002 wrote:

have been, say, "like sleeping" (basically for their high scores) will probably "wake up" and start to compete again

They are busy like hell, competing here was never their goal. Answering Kudoz was their good will and that will has drained out.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Speculating on others' opinions Nov 18, 2007

IreneN wrote:

lbc2002 wrote:

have been, say, "like sleeping" (basically for their high scores) will probably "wake up" and start to compete again

They are busy like hell, competing here was never their goal. Answering Kudoz was their good will and that will has drained out.

Hi Irene,

You should express your own ideas in the forums, instead of speculating on others' opinions.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcers now have the option to rank freelancers by KudoZ PRO points in the last 12 months

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »