Posted job on ProZ.com - received quotes from outside ProZ.com
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
English to Arabic
Sep 17, 2007

Dear All,

First, I would like to apologize if I have chosen the wrong forum for this, but this is a very strange thing, I didn't know where to post the topic.

I have posted a translation project on ProZ.com, and started receiving quotes from ProZ members. Suddenly, I started getting quotes through another Translators directory, I know I shouldn't mention names here, but I haven't posted the project on that other website.

I am not sure how did that happen.
... See more
Dear All,

First, I would like to apologize if I have chosen the wrong forum for this, but this is a very strange thing, I didn't know where to post the topic.

I have posted a translation project on ProZ.com, and started receiving quotes from ProZ members. Suddenly, I started getting quotes through another Translators directory, I know I shouldn't mention names here, but I haven't posted the project on that other website.

I am not sure how did that happen. I had my suspicions about that website in the past because I am a registered member since January 2007 and never received a project from there, unlike my experience with ProZ.

I am just curious how does that happen? How do I post a project on ProZ and receive quotes from another Translators directory?

Thank you all,
Tamara

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-09-17 21:32]
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:48
Russian to English
+ ...
They saw a project Sep 17, 2007

Clearly someone on the other site figured out that you had a project and posted it there. It's up to you whether you want to read their replies and/or ask the other site to take the project off.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Your job posting must have been posted by someone else on the other site Sep 17, 2007

I think this is what happened: someone saw your post here and thought it would help some other people who are not users of this site to copy it on the other site. If I am not mistaken, there is a disclaimer in job postings here that says it's OK to post the job posting on another site as long as it is clearly mentioned that it comes from here, or something to that effect.

If you feel uncomfortable with this, I suggest you don't put any contact info in the job posting and also add th
... See more
I think this is what happened: someone saw your post here and thought it would help some other people who are not users of this site to copy it on the other site. If I am not mistaken, there is a disclaimer in job postings here that says it's OK to post the job posting on another site as long as it is clearly mentioned that it comes from here, or something to that effect.

If you feel uncomfortable with this, I suggest you don't put any contact info in the job posting and also add that you will not consider any quotes that have not been submitted through the ProZ quoting form.

I agree that it can be hard to manage a job posting if you get replies to it from places you didn't post it.

All the best!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:48
English to German
+ ...
Contact a Jobs/BB moderator Sep 17, 2007

Hi Tamara,

I moved it to ProZ.com job systems.

We can have a look at it - please contact a Jobs/BB moderator, quoting the job URL. When posting a job on ProZ.com, you have an option to allow or prohibit re-posting on other sites - which one did you choose?

...and just to clarify:

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
If you feel uncomfortable with this, I suggest you don't put any contact info in the job posting and also add that you will not consider any quotes that have not been submitted through the ProZ.com quoting form.

Contact details are mandatory for any job posted on ProZ.com. You can, of course, keep certain details invisible (=visible to ProZ.com staff and moderators only).

Best regards,
Ralf

Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 17, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Tamara,

Thank you Ralf, and sorry for the trouble.

We can have a look at it - please contact a Jobs/BB moderator, quoting the job URL. When posting a job on ProZ.com, you have an option to allow or prohibit re-posting on other sites - which one did you choose?

I will contact the Jobs/BB Moderator with the URL. As for the option when posting a job on ProZ.com, I am aware of it and I chose to prohibit re-posting on other sites.

...and just to clarify:

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
If you feel uncomfortable with this, I suggest you don't put any contact info in the job posting and also add that you will not consider any quotes that have not been submitted through the ProZ.com quoting form.

Contact details are mandatory for any job posted on ProZ.com. You can, of course, keep certain details invisible (=visible to ProZ.com staff and moderators only)

Yes, contact details are mandatory on ProZ.com, but they are not on the other website. They always post jobs without even the name of the poster, and translators send their quotes to an invisible poster.

Best regards,
Ralf

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I'm afraid it isn't the case Sep 17, 2007

ProZ has many competitors, and some of them are unscrupulous in ways to boost the traffic to their sites, so they just hijack job postings from ProZ. We are aware of the problem, but we can do little if you post contact e-mail in your job posting text. If you haven't, please do just as Ralf suggested- contact a jobs' moderator. We sure cannot remove the posting from another site, but we can look for flaws in our system and correct them. And one other thing- you can just ignore offers received fr... See more
ProZ has many competitors, and some of them are unscrupulous in ways to boost the traffic to their sites, so they just hijack job postings from ProZ. We are aware of the problem, but we can do little if you post contact e-mail in your job posting text. If you haven't, please do just as Ralf suggested- contact a jobs' moderator. We sure cannot remove the posting from another site, but we can look for flaws in our system and correct them. And one other thing- you can just ignore offers received from other sites.

Uldis

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
I think this is what happened: someone saw your post here and thought it would help some other people who are not users of this site to copy it on the other site.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-09-17 21:58]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:48
English to German
+ ...
Use quoting via ProZ.com Sep 17, 2007

Hi again,

Thank you Ralf, and sorry for the trouble.

No problem at all.

Thanks for indicating the URL to me; I noticed that you chose to receive quotes by e-mail. That's fine, but it does expose your job to the risk of being 'hijacked'. (Note that Jobs moderators do ask job posters not to openly state their e-mail address in the job description - but even if you don't show it there, it can still be lifted.) What I would suggest is to use the option to receive quotes via ProZ.com - this way, it's easier to filter out those trying to circumvent the system.

Best regards,
Ralf

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I meant the body of the job post Sep 24, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...and just to clarify:

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Contact details are mandatory for any job posted on ProZ.com. You can, of course, keep certain details invisible (=visible to ProZ.com staff and moderators only).

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear enough. I meant to say that it is best not to put any contact info in the body of the job post itself. Of course some info should be mandatory and I absolutely agree with this. However, the best method still is using the ProZ quoting system, which allows having a declared identity on the site, that is traceability, without displaying all your contact details in job postings, which could attract problems somewhere down the line.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posted job on ProZ.com - received quotes from outside ProZ.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »