Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:07
Portuguese to English
Aug 20, 2021

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone else has had this experience:

I'm not a translation agency, nor do I consider myself a regular outsourcer. I do occasionally sub-contract high volumes to linguists I've known for years, and I've posted job opportunities on ProZ a few times over the years in order to meet high-volume client requirements.

Some weeks ago I was updating my profile and wanted to get feedback from people I'd worked with (WWA - LWA). In a total l
... See more
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone else has had this experience:

I'm not a translation agency, nor do I consider myself a regular outsourcer. I do occasionally sub-contract high volumes to linguists I've known for years, and I've posted job opportunities on ProZ a few times over the years in order to meet high-volume client requirements.

Some weeks ago I was updating my profile and wanted to get feedback from people I'd worked with (WWA - LWA). In a total lapse of concentration, I ended up setting up a Blue Board (Swift Translations) in error - totally my own fault.

Shortly after my Blue Board was set up, I started receiving ProZ e-mails from all over the planet from people
offering their services in all manner of language pairs, usually other than the one pair I work with and CVs I had no interest whatsoever in reading, and this is still happening.

I have submitted two Support Tickets asking for the Blue Board to be removed, and both times the reply has quite clearly been the standard ProZ boiler-plate missive stating that they're not going to do so.

After 12 years as a faithful subscriber to ProZ, in which time I have attended a number of in-person conferences and online events, been a Moderator, am a Certified Pro and Plus Member, and for some years have offered myself as a Mentor on the platform, I feel I have no alternative but to let my membership lapse.

I know I set the Blue Board up myself, but as stated this was totally an error on my part, and I feel sad that after all this time and investment in the platform, I feel forced to leave.

Many thanks

[Edited at 2021-08-20 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Mark Aug 20, 2021

First of all, I wonder if you’re referring to Swift Translations’ Blue Board as I can’t find a BB under your name. I suppose that from the moment a BB has an entry Proz can’t remove it. If I were in your shoes, I’d ask the poster to delete the entry and then I’ll submit another Support Ticket. Good luck!

Mark Thompson
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Teresa Aug 20, 2021

Many thanks for the reminder Teresa, I have updated the post with that name and asked my friend to request deletion of her entry - we shall see - all the best.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:07
German to English
+ ...
When I visit your profile... Aug 20, 2021

When I visit your profile, I read (under 'affiliations'):
This person is not affiliated with any business or Blue Board record at ProZ.com.

Problem solved?

Mark Thompson
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not yet Cilian Aug 20, 2021

Thanks for that - actually the Blue Board record is under the name Swift Translations, my sole trader name here in Brazil - I have updated my original post to reflect that - I appreciate your input!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mark Aug 20, 2021

Mark Thompson wrote:
Some weeks ago I was updating my profile and wanted to get feedback from people I'd worked with (WWA - LWA). In a total lapse of concentration, I ended up setting up a Blue Board entry...

It may seem like just a few weeks, but your BB entry was set up in January 2021. Or, do you mean that you did something more recently?

I feel I have no alternative but to let my membership lapse.

You're still going to get those e-mails, though.

Your BB entry's contact details section is incomplete, and it does not link to your profile page in any way. Do you know how people get your e-mail address from the Blue Board?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board set up in error - ProZ won't remove it

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »