Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2010

Please, could the staff of ProZ.com make a synthesis and show us some figures of how the new posting system has been working this week? I don't know if it's too early to notice (and on Holy Week many companies/translators took some days off), but perhaps some issues have arisen, and I believe that we, as translators, should know what's going on. Or at least get a report by the end of April.

Perhaps there has been a susbtantial decrease (or increase) of job posts. Or, maybe you have
... See more
Please, could the staff of ProZ.com make a synthesis and show us some figures of how the new posting system has been working this week? I don't know if it's too early to notice (and on Holy Week many companies/translators took some days off), but perhaps some issues have arisen, and I believe that we, as translators, should know what's going on. Or at least get a report by the end of April.

Perhaps there has been a susbtantial decrease (or increase) of job posts. Or, maybe you have been squashing several ads because clients insisted on specifying their rates, or you have been flooded with complaints from companies, etc.

For translators, have you already seen any changes? I mean, things like:

- Applying to jobs with a "normal - high" rate and not getting any job or vice-versa?
- Receiving complaints from clients?
- When you know you would anyway be hired, the client gets scared of your rate?
- Getting a message from the client saying, "Your qualifications are very good, but can you charge XXX (a rate lower than what you stated)?
- After applying to a job, you get an automatic message via e-mail saying, "Sorry, but our budget is..."
- Etc., etc.

Personally, at first glance, I saw less job posts, but perhaps stastiscally speaking, this is not true and it's just the way I see it.

Thanks for your feedback.
Collapse

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:44
French to English
+ ...
Changes are currently being implemented Apr 5, 2010

Hi Cristina,

Thanks for posting. The changes to the jobs system are currently being implemented, so it's a bit early to look at any data.

It does look as though job postings are down slightly over the past 3 days or so (most likely due to Easter).

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:44
English to Russian
+ ...
some thoughts Apr 5, 2010

Hello everyone and Happy Easter

Today someone has posted a job in my language pair, asking translators to apply with their BEST RATES, which makes me think the job board is still used to "popularize" low rates. You may argue that this does not necessarily mean rates would be low. But I reckon we all know what the wording usually implies.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 15:20 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
best rate Apr 5, 2010

is a normal term used for centuries.
Try to get used to talk shop where a business is offered.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 15:30 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Updates will be posted to the changes page Apr 5, 2010

Hi all,

As Colin says, it is somewhat early on in the changes yet (the plans for changes were released late last week), but the team (staff) hope to have an interim solution by the end of April. What has been done so far is not indicative of how the system will look in the end.

Regular updates will be posted to http://www.proz.com/about/ipetition/overview , and every
... See more
Hi all,

As Colin says, it is somewhat early on in the changes yet (the plans for changes were released late last week), but the team (staff) hope to have an interim solution by the end of April. What has been done so far is not indicative of how the system will look in the end.

Regular updates will be posted to http://www.proz.com/about/ipetition/overview , and everyone who has subscribed to those pages notified when new information or updates are posted.

Let me also take the opportunity to thank everyone for the ongoing feedback on the changes, which is coming in both through the feedback feature on the pages and through the support system as well.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 5, 2010

I think the phrase "best rate" should be banned from this site. It always makes me think of a carpet merchant in a bazaar saying: "I give you best price".

[Edited at 2010-04-05 15:35 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:44
Swedish to English
+ ...
Report bases on (less than) one week's data? Apr 5, 2010

Is unlikely to lead to any kind of professional evaluating a new feature. Let the new feature/approach run for at least three month before demanding an evaluation.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jared Apr 5, 2010

Great, we shall wait to see the results.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Madeleine makes a good point Apr 5, 2010

Thanks Madeleine. On the one hand are the various implementations that need to be made to carry out the changes, and then of course time will be needed to properly monitor the impact. The ProZ.com team will do what it can to keep members as up-to-date as possible on both (for the sake of making this information easier for all to find, it will be posted on the job changes pages). Along the way, feedback, including language-related feedback (thank you Phil) is more than welcome.

Best
... See more
Thanks Madeleine. On the one hand are the various implementations that need to be made to carry out the changes, and then of course time will be needed to properly monitor the impact. The ProZ.com team will do what it can to keep members as up-to-date as possible on both (for the sake of making this information easier for all to find, it will be posted on the job changes pages). Along the way, feedback, including language-related feedback (thank you Phil) is more than welcome.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
please read my post again Apr 5, 2010

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

is a normal term used for centuries.
Try to get used to talk shop where a business is offered.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 15:30 GMT]

Yes, it is a normal term for low-ball players. You do not seem to be following what I was saying.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 16:10 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Synthesis based on new petition

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »