Thread poster: Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:34
Member (2002)
Russian to English
payment practices Jul 31, 2008

There is also the Payment Practices list.
I haven't used it lately, but it contains tons of information. A simple phone call before starting a project is always a good idea, too. Never start an urgent project for someone who doesn't have the time to talk to you on the phone.
Good luck,
Elizabeth

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 31, 2008

Thank you, Elizabeth! Never thought of this "test"..

Your advice will conribute to my becoming, hopefully, resistant to such malicious
actions...

Thanks again.

Zareh

[Edited at 2008-07-31 06:25]

Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina
Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 18:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Will you share the abuser´s info? Jul 31, 2008

Dear Zareh,
I am sorry you´re going through this issue -and I am grateful you are sharing it with us.

I became a member of Proz not long ago due to excellent references of other Proz members who have had great experiences with their clients.

Reading all these comments makes me wonder if the clients I am working with now (whom I got to know through Proz and are from the other side of the world) are reliable, and consequently, if the jobs I have accepted will be pa
... See more
Dear Zareh,
I am sorry you´re going through this issue -and I am grateful you are sharing it with us.

I became a member of Proz not long ago due to excellent references of other Proz members who have had great experiences with their clients.

Reading all these comments makes me wonder if the clients I am working with now (whom I got to know through Proz and are from the other side of the world) are reliable, and consequently, if the jobs I have accepted will be paid.. I really hope for a positive experience... though I´ve been able to talk to them over the phone, but as I can see that guarantees nothing as well..

However, I´d like to ask you if you´d be willing to share the abuser´s name or company´s name so that we can be aware of any future job offered by him/her? Is not that we want to damage that person´s reputation -because I think s/he has done it already- but because your experience can help others avoid being victims of fraud, specially from the same client.

Best regards,
Elena
Collapse

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Elena! Jul 31, 2008

Thank you Elena for your sharing of your feelings and for your support.

I am certainly not a good judge in these matters, however, I still think that in
general you have not much to be afraid of. These two cases are exceptional cases.

The vast majority of outsourcers, I would say, are honest people..

The first one, I should not have taken it. Not a member, no Blue Board entry!

The second one, is quite a well known agency, and I am sure (I
... See more
Thank you Elena for your sharing of your feelings and for your support.

I am certainly not a good judge in these matters, however, I still think that in
general you have not much to be afraid of. These two cases are exceptional cases.

The vast majority of outsourcers, I would say, are honest people..

The first one, I should not have taken it. Not a member, no Blue Board entry!

The second one, is quite a well known agency, and I am sure (I am not joking here)
they are well-respected by members in general. Also, I am sure, the owner will say
I did not understand him right. He will say, "he was going to pay me as soon as possible". I don't believe that.. Our agreement was 1 or two weeks... Additionally, the fact that every time I asked him about my invoice or the date of the bank transfer, he answered me back with another job offer.. with no mention of the payment on the job completed. It was like I was supposed to understand his situation that he did not have the time to discuss such trifles as payment when
he is being showered with jobs and he needs people. He also refused to tell me the
total amount he will pay me. He just agreed to $0.10 per word and he advertised 400 lines. He said tables are not words or lines.. so? I guess by his calculations, he
should not really pay for tables. I wish I never had to do tables (with magnifying glasses)... and handwritten parts... He kept saying "so you don't want to do translations for me!" I said, "Right now, I am asking you questions about the date of the payment, why don't you answer me..". As the person I communicated with told me, that's a no, no. No discussion of payment once the job is done! He will do it if he deems it appropriate at his own suitable time. Just out of this world. But, he apparently provides a lot of work, (he sent me some 3 e-mails for incoming jobs, while not answering my questions regarding payment on the job completed"...

That's why I think he is very popular.. he provides jobs, and I am sure he pays most of his bills after the application of generous discounts and at the time he sees fit.

What he says in the initial agreement has no bearing on acutally what happens once the job is done. His answer will be "I never told him I was not going to pay".
Well, out of fear, from the way he was reacting, I already gave me a $200 discount on a $400.00 work. Still he is not happy.. He wants to see if I will be continuing to work for him. That seems to be a precondition...

I cannot put his name here, as that is against the regulations. What is not against the regulations is to make a BB entry which tells the story as it is. I intend to do that once the time comes... soon.. If I don't receive a payment within 9 days from today. ..

Thank you again, Elizabeth.

Zareh

[Edited at 2008-07-31 05:35]
Collapse

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:34
English to Finnish
+ ...
Do not allow the client to give you the runaround Jul 31, 2008

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D. wrote:

I am sure, the owner will say
I did not understand him right. He will say, "he was going to pay me as soon as possible". I don't believe that.. Our agreement was 1 or two weeks... Additionally, the fact that every time I asked him about my invoice or the date of the bank transfer, he answered me back with another job offer.. with no mention of the payment on the job completed. It was like I was supposed to understand his situation that he did not have the time to discuss such trifles as payment when
he is being showered with jobs and he needs people. He also refused to tell me the
total amount he will pay me. He just agreed to $0.10 per word and he advertised 400 lines. He said tables are not words or lines.. so? I guess by his calculations, he
should not really pay for tables. I wish I never had to do tables (with magnifying glasses)... and handwritten parts... He kept saying "so you don't want to do translations for me!" I said, "Right now, I am asking you questions about the date of the payment, why don't you answer me..". As the person I communicated with told me, that's a no, no. No discussion of payment once the job is done! He will do it if he deems it appropriate at his own suitable time. Just out of this world. But, he apparently provides a lot of work, (he sent me some 3 e-mails for incoming jobs, while not answering my questions regarding payment on the job completed"...

What he says in the initial agreement has no bearing on acutally what happens once the job is done. His answer will be "I never told him I was not going to pay".
Well, out of fear, from the way he was reacting, I already gave me a $200 discount on a $400.00 work. Still he is not happy..

It is of course easy to give advice from ashore when there is a storm at sea. Still, it seems that your client is taking you for a ride, so to say.

Your quote should spell out exactly how much the client will pay, how, and when. If they do not pay, send them one reminder, and if they still do not pay, turn the matter over to a collection agency. The only exception to this rule is providing a short extension, or agreeing on a reasonable payment schedule, if the client has difficulty paying and you have reason to believe they will be able, and willing, to abide by that extension or schedule.

In other words, do not allow the client to exploit you. Any comments such as the ones you quote above should be rejected in a final and businesslike manner. It is he who has defaulted on you, so you should make it clear that you are in charge of the situation.

Also, you should most likely refrain from providing the client further services until they have paid their debt in full. (The one exception would, again, be the payment schedule or extension, during which you may decide to still work for the client.) This protects you from additional exposure, and may also pressure the client to pay.

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paula! Jul 31, 2008

Thank you, Paula, for your advice! I did not even know about encrypting. It
is a vey good idea! However, I have a question ...

The client usually specifies payment after 2 weeks, 1 month or even 45 days.
They normally will not want to wait 30 days, to have access to the contents of
the file...

On the other hand, if the idea is "the sooner you pay, the sooner you can
open the file", then that will work...

Do you have experience wit
... See more

the file...

Do you have experience with this approach?

I will be interested to know.

Many thanks again.

Zareh
Collapse

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, again! Jul 31, 2008

Paula Tizzano wrote:

Dear friend:

There is a simple way to prevent this from happening again. Either if you get an advance payment or not, when you finish your translation you can use encryption or password protection for your file. You send the encrypted file. If your client does not pay at all, then you don't release the password, and he won't be able to open the file.
If he paid 20 per cent of the assignment on advance, then you send the equivalent part of the translation as non-encrypted regular file, and the rest in a separate encrypted or password-protected file.

If you use MS Word, you can use Tools -- Options -- Security, and then introduce a password required to open the file.

But as Microsoft software is very easy to hack, I strongly recommend that you use another way. For instance, encrypting during the compression process. Both RAR and ZIP files support encryption. You can not only encrypt file data, but also filenames, attributes and other elements. These methods use 128 encryption codes, so they are not so vulnerable. Hiring someone to break the encryption code would cost him more than repaying the money he owes to you!

Besides, you can explain this to your client as a basic policy of your bureau, saying that you encrypt files for their own security.

If your client is honest and intends to pay on time, he or she will not feel offended. So many things you buy or contract today have security passwords, and everyone accepts them quite naturally, as a way to validate authentic transactions.

Of course, if they don't pay you will have lost your time and devoted work anyway, but at least you won't feel totally cheated, as they won't be able to profit from your translation.

Good luck, and don't let these things discourage you too much.

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, again! Jul 31, 2008

Paula Tizzano wrote:

Dear friend:

There is a simple way to prevent this from happening again. Either if you get an advance payment or not, when you finish your translation you can use encryption or password protection for your file. You send the encrypted file. If your client does not pay at all, then you don't release the password, and he won't be able to open the file.
If he paid 20 per cent of the assignment on advance, then you send the equivalent part of the translation as non-encrypted regular file, and the rest in a separate encrypted or password-protected file.

If you use MS Word, you can use Tools -- Options -- Security, and then introduce a password required to open the file.

But as Microsoft software is very easy to hack, I strongly recommend that you use another way. For instance, encrypting during the compression process. Both RAR and ZIP files support encryption. You can not only encrypt file data, but also filenames, attributes and other elements. These methods use 128 encryption codes, so they are not so vulnerable. Hiring someone to break the encryption code would cost him more than repaying the money he owes to you!

Besides, you can explain this to your client as a basic policy of your bureau, saying that you encrypt files for their own security.

If your client is honest and intends to pay on time, he or she will not feel offended. So many things you buy or contract today have security passwords, and everyone accepts them quite naturally, as a way to validate authentic transactions.

Of course, if they don't pay you will have lost your time and devoted work anyway, but at least you won't feel totally cheated, as they won't be able to profit from your translation.

Good luck, and don't let these things discourage you too much.

chry01
chry01
Local time: 01:34
Swedish to English
+ ...
By posting negative feedback on Blue Board Jul 31, 2008

Dear Zareh,

I am sorry that things have not gone as you would have wished regarding payment but I think that the best way of dealing with unreliable payers is to advertise that fact! If you don't get paid within the time frame agreed, and wait an additional 9 days as you suggest, post it on Blue Board! Actually, why not wait longer, up to 30 days after the due date? Luckily you are only talking about a small sum, so even if you never got paid, you wouldn't be too burned. I am not
... See more
Dear Zareh,

I am sorry that things have not gone as you would have wished regarding payment but I think that the best way of dealing with unreliable payers is to advertise that fact! If you don't get paid within the time frame agreed, and wait an additional 9 days as you suggest, post it on Blue Board! Actually, why not wait longer, up to 30 days after the due date? Luckily you are only talking about a small sum, so even if you never got paid, you wouldn't be too burned. I am not implying it's OK to delay payments, just that when dealing with new contacts, there's always a risk involved. In order to protect yourself from such traps in the future, you could decide only to do work for well established, big reliable companies.

While asking for advance payment upon first contact may be an alternative to circumvent problems in the future - it's not very realistic. Within the field of translation via the Internet, payment is usually issued after the work has been received, not prior to it. if you take a risk, as yu did, and it doesn't pay off, then bid your time and post it on BB. Else, just work for companies that issue purchase orders, and invoice accordingly.

Regards
Chris
Collapse

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:34
English to Finnish
+ ...
Hi-tech variant of advance payment? Jul 31, 2008

Paula Tizzano wrote:

Have you found this method more useful than initially sending just an invoice, and upon payment, the target text in unencrypted form?

My concern is that the method you describe may tempt a deceitful client to try to crack the encryption instead of paying.

[Edited at 2008-07-31 10:19]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Some answers Jul 31, 2008

Hi Zareh,
Sorry for joining the discussion late, but I was out of the office.
I'm glad to see you contacted Jared at ProZ.com support already - the Jobs/BB moderators team works closely with Jared and Lucia at ProZ.com.

I'd just like to comment on a few points:

Just last week, I took another job from an outsourcer who had a site on proz.com. His Blue Board had 9 favorable comments and one sobering one (he did not pay). I kind of believed
this single comment, yet took the job, somehow, thinking that all those 9 favorable comments on the BB should mean something. I was wrong again.. is it my fault?

The very least I would have done is to contact the person who was not paid (and very likely the others who posted positive entries).

Well, I am not asking in advance. The work is received by him!

What payment terms were agreed upon? Did you submit an invoice showing these terms?

What is the proz.com policy regarding outsources who want to have more than one site, under different names, on proz.com, especially when this is used for fraud? This person is a basic user. Not a member.

The policy on multiple profiles is clearly stated in the site rules, and is being enforced. (Note that larger outsourcers may have multiple profiles for several staff members.)

Are you sure you did not mistake the person's user name with his business name?

I, and the other victim of this outsoucer, do believe that one possibility for the existence of these 9 excellent evaluations is the provision of rave reviews in return for a "fistfull of dollars".

Do you have any evidence for this?
I don't doubt your description of the situation, but over the years of working as a moderator, I have seen people posting positive entries for banned non-payers. Turned out they had been paid without any problem - didn't make a difference for the suspension, of course.

Will I be able to get paid in advance if I insist?

You should have insisted on payment in advance, then.

Best regards,
Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...and a few additional comments Jul 31, 2008

...on contributions in this topic:
Zareh Darakjian Ph.D. wrote:
He can always buy good reviews by promising of more jobs (low-pay or no pay, eventually, or by threatening not to pay, unless a good review is submitted).

Such attempts are sometimes made - if that happens, contact ProZ.com support or one of the Jobs/BB moderators. This is a breach of BB rules which we deal with appropriately (after having waited for payment to go through, if need be...).

aburiaz wrote:
because I have also been the victim of such crooks found in this industry and usung the facility of Proz.com. I had to keep quiet because IMO, nothing can be done against such dishonest people except not accepting any further jobs offered by an unknown outsourcer.

ProZ.com is a reflection of the real world - expecting full protection against any risk is simply unrealistic. If you had a bad experience, you should post a Blue Board entry.

Ritu Bhanot wrote:
Regarding the blue board, I know atleast one agency who has lots of nice comments from his friends and family members (and I don't know how he recieved the others). Now I know that one of the persons is his wife, another his partner (and now ex-partner) and so on... But no one else knows.

I had informed ProZ.com about it long ago but these remarks are still part of the blue-board record. So now I really don't know if I can believe all the positive records. I have started working the other way round. I look for negative comments. Of course, this is not fool-proof either but it is just my way of avoiding such people.

Strictly speaking, personal relationships are irrelevant here - the key condition for posting a BB entry is that the poster must have worked for a given outsourcer. Having said that, ProZ.com staff or moderators are monitoring suspected cases of 'self-rating' (the vast majority of attempts never see the light of day, as all entries are vetted), and will remove entries in case of doubt. Of course, we will look for some kind of evidence.

Elizabeth Adams wrote:
A simple phone call before starting a project is always a good idea, too. Never start an urgent project for someone who doesn't have the time to talk to you on the phone.

Sound advice.

Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina wrote:

However, I´d like to ask you if you´d be willing to share the abuser´s name or company´s name so that we can be aware of any future job offered by him/her? Is not that we want to damage that person´s reputation -because I think s/he has done it already- but because your experience can help others avoid being victims of fraud, specially from the same client.

Please take a moment to look at the forum rules - in particular, rule no. 8. The Blue Board is the section to exchange outsourcer-related information.
Thanks to Zareh for not disclosing this here!

Best regards,
Ralf

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Paula! Jul 31, 2008

the file...

Do you have experience wit
... See more

the file...

Do you have experience with this approach?

I will be interested to know.

Many thanks again.

Zareh
Collapse

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ralf! Jul 31, 2008

Thank you, Ralf! Your comments are very helpful.
Even though I mentioned "rave reviews in return for pay", I also mentione in one
of my other respones, I think, that another possibility is that the person might have changed over time.. At one time, or to some people, he pays, and at other times, to other people, he does not pay! I agree with you that this kind of thing, or a variant of it is t he most likely reason.

I am also very appreciatvie of what proz.com does for
... See more
Thank you, Ralf! Your comments are very helpful.
Even though I mentioned "rave reviews in return for pay", I also mentione in one
of my other respones, I think, that another possibility is that the person might have changed over time.. At one time, or to some people, he pays, and at other times, to other people, he does not pay! I agree with you that this kind of thing, or a variant of it is t he most likely reason.

I am also very appreciatvie of what proz.com does for me as a translator. Without it,
I will have no or very little visibility and fun! I also do not, and never have, assumed that proz.com should be involved in protecting me from fraudlent actions. Not at all..
I also know that in spite of that, proz.com has already in place a number of measures which decrease the likelihood of such things happening. I am, indeed, very appreciative of this.

It occured to me too. A person may be able to have two accounts, one for business and one personal. I think that is the case here... I also know that the last job-offer
e-mail that I received from this person was a consequence of the wide net that he had case in the sea ... so I just saw the net ... it was most likely not intended for me. But his other e-mails were.

I thank you for taking the time to provide me and others with your thoughts and suggestions on this matter.

Zareh
Collapse

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Chris! Jul 31, 2008

Chris Ryan wrote:

Dear Zareh,

I am sorry that things have not gone as you would have wished regarding payment but I think that the best way of dealing with unreliable payers is to advertise that fact! If you don't get paid within the time frame agreed, and wait an additional 9 days as you suggest, post it on Blue Board! Actually, why not wait longer, up to 30 days after the due date? Luckily you are only talking about a small sum, so even if you never got paid, you wouldn't be too burned. I am not implying it's OK to delay payments, just that when dealing with new contacts, there's always a risk involved. In order to protect yourself from such traps in the future, you could decide only to do work for well established, big reliable companies.

While asking for advance payment upon first contact may be an alternative to circumvent problems in the future - it's not very realistic. Within the field of translation via the Internet, payment is usually issued after the work has been received, not prior to it. if you take a risk, as yu did, and it doesn't pay off, then bid your time and post it on BB. Else, just work for companies that issue purchase orders, and invoice accordingly.

Regards
Chris

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question on how to deal with abusers of the proz.com site

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »