Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 06:41
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Well, then it's definitely in dire need of improvement... Sep 30, 2007

because "the history of the world," as most people know it, has nothing whatsoever to do with history and everything to do with national myths. Everyone has them: the U.S., Japan, India, Germany, Mexico, Indonesia, Argentina, Ethiopia, Greece, Morocco, and so on and so forth. Serious researchers in this field, who often still can't prove the objectivity of their assertions, are always snubbed by people who have national and international myths ingrained so deeply within them that anything that... See more
because "the history of the world," as most people know it, has nothing whatsoever to do with history and everything to do with national myths. Everyone has them: the U.S., Japan, India, Germany, Mexico, Indonesia, Argentina, Ethiopia, Greece, Morocco, and so on and so forth. Serious researchers in this field, who often still can't prove the objectivity of their assertions, are always snubbed by people who have national and international myths ingrained so deeply within them that anything that deviates from them - especially if it's not politically correct - is practically ignored.

You could, of course, argue that national myths are necessary for the collective sentiment of any country, and I'd be the first to agree. But that's another story. To me, if anything, translators are also responsible for spreading misconceptions, misinformation, and pure and simple BS around the world, even if they're not aware of it.

Plus, you don't have to be a translator to communicate with other people. You can simply speak two languages instead. There are tons and tons of people who speak more than one language and are not translators, excepting the argument that they are "translators for themselves," which is kind of stretching it.

On another note , Luis M. put it very well indeed. The history of the world as we know it today would not exist without engineers, architects and simple builders (who were responsible for providing the means to connect so many people in the first place); explorers and seamen; warchiefs and rulers with a lust for land and power; etc. Heck, if no one had ever discovered agriculture there wouldn't be any translators in the first place, because no one would have the time to sit around and learn a language instead of looking for food.

I love my work. I really do. But I also like to keep things in perspective, and I don't think this quote is doing that too well.
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
English to Italian
+ ...
That's not what he said Sep 30, 2007

What he said is:
"Western Europe owes its civilization to translators".

I've just asked him.

[Edited at 2007-09-30 09:29]

IP-Chemist
IP-Chemist
Local time: 15:41
English to German
+ ...
Thanx, ... Sep 30, 2007

"Without translation, there is no history of the world."

my life has a meaning again.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Grandiloquent Sep 30, 2007

This is pure egocentric nonsense. History exists no matter the language is used to tell it.

Our interpretation/comprehension of it does not modify it either. Unfortunately it does not help to change it for the future either.

Ruth @ MW

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:41
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Exactly what I was going to say Sep 30, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

It's sort of like saying "If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody's around, does it make a sound?"

Yes, there is history of the world, even without translation.

Amy

If something is, it is, whether anybody knows about it or understands it or not.
Anyway, what is "the history of the world"? Anthropocentrically, the writer presumably means the history of mankind, which is not "the history of the world". And remember, "history" is written by the conquerors, so even the history of the world meaning the history of mankind is only the bits of "history" that have been recorded by someone from his/her point of view for his/her purposes and has survived to be found and read by someone else. How much other "history" may have been recorded and lost?
Goodnight all,
Jenny.

[Edited at 2007-09-30 21:20]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
LOL! :-) Oct 1, 2007

IP-Chemist wrote:

"Without translation, there is no history of the world."

my life has a meaning again.

You made me laugh. Great comment!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: "Without translation, there is no history of the world." - L. G. Kelly

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »