Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]
Poll: Is your ProZ.com profile customized for non-English languages?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: ProZ.com Staff
Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:30
Lid 2011
Japans naar Engels
Very kind of you all! Jun 9, 2012

@Oliver
@Veronica
@Emma

Very much appreciated or "Doomo arigatoo gozaimashita!" as we say in this neck of the woods.

TTFN

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 02:30
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
Don't see the need to Jun 9, 2012

Nearly all my work comes from agencies in the US and UK. And those who reach my profile from other countries typically have enough of a receptive command of English to read and understand the information in my profile.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:30
Yes Jun 9, 2012

in Portuguese (my third language pair). A slightly abridged version of the English, based on the premise that the less Portuguese I write, the fewer mistakes I will make.

I am not sure what effect this has, marketing-wise, but I do have quite a few Portuguese agencies as clients, most of whom send me Fr-En and De-En translations, but some Pt-En work too.

Clara Chassany
Clara Chassany  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:30
Lid 2012
Fins naar Frans
+ ...
No... Jun 9, 2012

...but it should be. I will work on it soon.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:30
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
No Jun 9, 2012

Since 100% of my clients speak English, what would be the point of "customizing" my Proz profile in another language.

The question has two problems:

1. Wrong verb. We don't customize a text "for" another language. We translate it or write it in another language.
2. The expression 'non-English language' rubs me the wrong way and smacks of deep-seated ignorance and a faulty worldview. Since when other languages of the world draw their identity from English, to be ca
... See more
Since 100% of my clients speak English, what would be the point of "customizing" my Proz profile in another language.

The question has two problems:

1. Wrong verb. We don't customize a text "for" another language. We translate it or write it in another language.
2. The expression 'non-English language' rubs me the wrong way and smacks of deep-seated ignorance and a faulty worldview. Since when other languages of the world draw their identity from English, to be called non English? I feel insulted.

I know I'll get in trouble with the moderator for this, but I DO NOT CARE. Listen, Proz, have an experienced adult who knows about languages and translation review poll questions like this one.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Hebreeuws naar Engels
I must admit.... Jun 9, 2012

I find the usage of "non-English language" very strange and it did grate on me when I first read the question too.

It's not just the poll question though Mario, the same wording appears on everyone's profile (as shown by the very helpful screenshot by Veronica)....which I suppose only compounds the crime.

[Edited at 2012-06-09 14:44 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:30
Lid 2011
Japans naar Engels
Agree with Mario, too Jun 9, 2012

@Mario

I regard all languages as equal in their own right and having their own identity, and so should be equally respected. As such, "non-English languages" does have an irritating and aggravating English-centric ring to it, I admit.

However, this is a Proz interface problem and not the fault of the person suggesting the topic since the terminology was culled verbatim from the site. That is,

"Customize for non-English languages"

Maybe changin
... See more
@Mario

I regard all languages as equal in their own right and having their own identity, and so should be equally respected. As such, "non-English languages" does have an irritating and aggravating English-centric ring to it, I admit.

However, this is a Proz interface problem and not the fault of the person suggesting the topic since the terminology was culled verbatim from the site. That is,

"Customize for non-English languages"

Maybe changing this to "Add other language version" or something along these lines would be a simple improvement?

Added "and aggravating English-centric"
Added suggestion at end

[Edited at 2012-06-09 15:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-06-10 05:29 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:30
Nederlands naar Engels
+ ...
Done by localization team Jun 9, 2012

I was going to do it and discovered to my surprise that the localization team for my source language has already translated all the profiles - great work!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Local time: 08:30
Lid 2009
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Working on it Jun 9, 2012

Part of my profile is both in (US) English and in German, especially the "About me" section, Tagline and Keywords. The Spanish localisation will follow.

My CV is available in English and Spanish. The German version will (hopefully) follow soon.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spanje
Lid 2007
Engels
+ ...
Does everyone here have their primary profile in English? Jun 9, 2012

Customising for non-English implies that we all have our profiles in English, but I know there are people here who don't really speak English. I expect most, if not all, understand some English, but maybe they don't want their primary profile to be in English if they only translate between other languages.

I daresay everyone on this particular forum has a reasonable command of English, though, so perhaps you don't know the answer either.

Sheila

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Zweden
Local time: 08:30
Lid 2009
Zweeds naar Engels
+ ...
English is the language of ProZ, surely? Jun 9, 2012

Surely the reason why "non-English" is used is that ProZ is an English-language site? Admittedly with other languages in various places, because of the nature of the site, but English is the default language for the site as a whole. So I don't think "non-English" is derogatory in any way here, it's merely a statement of fact.

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is your ProZ.com profile customized for non-English languages?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »