Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you employ the services of an accountant/financial advisor?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:51
English to French
Yes, once per year Mar 10, 2010

When it's tax season. I've never filled my income tax return form myself. Too difficult and boring. There are professionals, and I can deduce their invoice on the following tax return form.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 19:51
English to French
+ ...
Yes but not full time Mar 10, 2010

I outsource accountancy: quarterly VAT reports, annual reports, yearly VAT listing and yearly human resources administration + tax returns, of course.
Company accountancy is too demanding and difficult here for someone who, like others here, are better with words than numbers. Legislation and regulations tend to change quite often too
I take care of the invoicing though and collect all receipts and invoices...

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
No, I have the best accountant in the world . . . Mar 10, 2010

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:

I work with words and that's all I'm interested in. I hate numbers. So I have the best accountant in the World - Nathan, God bless you!

Yes, me too. I'm a word person, not a numbers person. (I guess one could be both, but that's not my experience; different parts of the brain used?). I have an accountant to do my annual taxes. (Bless you, Harry.) I do my own invoicing (using ProZ) and the quarterly VAT reporting.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
yes Mar 10, 2010

Its a must. They do cost a bit of money, but then they do save me a lot of money in taxes. In Germany, they have to keep up-to-date with all new laws which I or a computer programme could never do.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:51
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 10, 2010

In answer to my own question (I'd forgotten I'd even asked!), I hand over all my paperwork to an accountant to do my tax return each year. I'd much rather spend the time that it would take me to do it myself on other things, like earning more money or enjoying myself! I'd be worried about doing it wrong, and my accountant knows the system inside out, so I feel much more comfortable with getting him to do it.

I've also consulted a financial advisor for advice about pensions and other
... See more
In answer to my own question (I'd forgotten I'd even asked!), I hand over all my paperwork to an accountant to do my tax return each year. I'd much rather spend the time that it would take me to do it myself on other things, like earning more money or enjoying myself! I'd be worried about doing it wrong, and my accountant knows the system inside out, so I feel much more comfortable with getting him to do it.

I've also consulted a financial advisor for advice about pensions and other investments.
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Absolutely! Mar 10, 2010

I agree with Cecilia and Gianluca; being freelance in Italy without a GOOD accountant is almost unthinkable!!!

(Note the emphasis on "good"...)

[Edited at 2010-03-10 17:56 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 10, 2010

I'm with Gianluca and Kemal on this one.
In Spain I have a "gestor" or agent, which is really a sort of cross between lawyer and accountant, who does my tax returns every quarter and at the end of the year. Otherwise I'm probably get into deep doody with Hacienda since I'm rubbish with figures and always have been...

Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez
Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Italy seems to be the winner... Mar 11, 2010

... but in Germany it is nearly impossible to follow all new tax- laws. I would spend weeks for getting my numbers done, so I hire once in a year an economist.
Interesting so far, that ALWAYS when it is paying time, it takes 1 week to get all papers from administration, but when I should get money... well this time it just took 8 (!!!) months!!!

Mabel

Robin Hardy-King
Robin Hardy-King
Local time: 18:51
French to English
More trouble than doing it on your own! Mar 11, 2010

I'm in the UK, and as someone else has commented our self-assessment system (though we curse it) is relaxed compared with many other countries. And as the VAT threshold is high, I don't register.

When I used an accountant, I had to provide all the figures anyway. It cost enough already; to employ one to do all the paper work of invoicing, recording and chasing would have been prohibitive. The reason I did it was that I operated as a limited company for a couple of years, and, at th
... See more
I'm in the UK, and as someone else has commented our self-assessment system (though we curse it) is relaxed compared with many other countries. And as the VAT threshold is high, I don't register.

When I used an accountant, I had to provide all the figures anyway. It cost enough already; to employ one to do all the paper work of invoicing, recording and chasing would have been prohibitive. The reason I did it was that I operated as a limited company for a couple of years, and, at the time couldn't have managed that on my own.

I now do more agency work than actual translation. My wife works with me and the two of us together keep on top of it.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you employ the services of an accountant/financial advisor?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »