Tag error in translated target document, the file won't open.
Thread poster: fairylight
fairylight
fairylight  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 10, 2015

How can I locate the place with tag error in OmegaT project if I'm only given its location in the translated Word document that won't open because of the error? The message I get is this: This file can't be open because there is an error in its contents. The name in the end tag of an element must correspond to the type of element in the opening tag. Location: part: word/document/xml, row: 2, column: 16221

This is my translation of the error message from Russian and it may be not com
... See more
How can I locate the place with tag error in OmegaT project if I'm only given its location in the translated Word document that won't open because of the error? The message I get is this: This file can't be open because there is an error in its contents. The name in the end tag of an element must correspond to the type of element in the opening tag. Location: part: word/document/xml, row: 2, column: 16221

This is my translation of the error message from Russian and it may be not completely accurate as this is not my field.

Here's the message in Russian: Не удается открыть файл из-за ошибок его содержимого. Сведения: имя в конечном тэге элемента должно совпадать с типом элемента в начальном тэге. Местоположение: часть: word/document/xml, строка: 2, столбец: 16221

Sorry if this is a dummy question, I haven't had time to study OmegaT interface beyond mere basics since I started working in it. Help would be very much appreciated, thank you!
Collapse

Aliaksandr Markevitch
Aliaksandr Markevitch
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
Hope it helps Feb 10, 2015

So, it seems, that you generated *.docx file.
First of all, make a copy of the corrupt original, then upload it to the public folder of SkyDrive and download it again.
If it doesn't help, you can use Rebuilder template.
Or you can try to locate and correct this error manually, as *.docx file
... See more
So, it seems, that you generated *.docx file.
First of all, make a copy of the corrupt original, then upload it to the public folder of SkyDrive and download it again.
If it doesn't help, you can use Rebuilder template.
Or you can try to locate and correct this error manually, as *.docx file is an archive, therefore you can just open it with any archiver tool, find document.xml, open it in any editor, like Notepad, and, as you already know string and column, close the end tag.
Collapse

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:19
English to German
+ ...
Suggestions Feb 10, 2015

Hi fairylight,

I am not an OmegaT user myself, but there's dedicated ProZ.com support forum for it (Technical Forums > CAT Tools Technical Help > OmegaT).

You might search that forum or repost your question there.

One solution already suggested there is to use OmegaT's Tools > Validate tags command, and then
... See more
Hi fairylight,

I am not an OmegaT user myself, but there's dedicated ProZ.com support forum for it (Technical Forums > CAT Tools Technical Help > OmegaT).

You might search that forum or repost your question there.

One solution already suggested there is to use OmegaT's Tools > Validate tags command, and then fix any tag errors displayed.

http://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/130768-error_message_when_trying_to_open_target_file.html#1085243

HTH
Stephanie
Collapse

fairylight
fairylight  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 10, 2015

Thank you for the link Stephanie!

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Make sure the tags are not removed (before validation) Feb 11, 2015

Проект -> Свойства -> Удалить тэги (untick)

If the option was ticked, you may need to retranslate certain segments.

[Edited at 2015-02-11 09:37 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Tag error in translated target document, the file won't open.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »